Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

hightower1 wrote: »
    A real pleasure to deal with I'm sure.
    Your posting here to try get some advice and when you heard you may be wrong thats your attitude?????? :eek:

I wouldnt expect much help with a snotty response like that. :rolleyes:

take a step back , ive read through a fair number of pages and tried the majority of what i could follow. I asked for the person with a similar broadband supply as mine to suggest how best to configure the computer to get the results he is getting.

I may be wrong but i would think it wouldnt be a whole lot different to the settings i have tried

With that in mind the only other thing that could be limiting the speeds is the service provider. to me and others they have suggested that they limit this service on their network.

the suggestion that this is somehow a figment of peoples imagination is laughable.

UPC couldn't help me and pointed me back to here , for a service provider to do that seemed extremely strange to me.

your suggestion around being "a delight to deal with" doesn't make any sense either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

eoinf wrote: »
    fine, tell us what the set-up is to achieve this ?
    I asked for the person with a similar broadband supply as mine to suggest how best to configure the computer to get the results he is getting.

if thats what you call asking... try be nicer next time. you're the one with the problem, and by helping you, im doing you a favour. try to sound more grateful. this isnt exactly the UPC problems forum, where we are all being paid to help the customers. ive got way better things to be doing.
    the suggestion that this is somehow a figment of peoples imagination is laughable.

I HAVE NEVER DENIED UPC'S THROTTLEING. YOU ARE GETTING REALLY BOLD HERE INSULTING PEOPLE WHO ARENT "SUFFERING" LIKE YOU. once again, we dont have to help you out. the world doesnt revolve around your torrenting abilities, and any beef you have with UPC. Getting aggressive because people dont agree with you is immature.

i will be posting up screen prints of my uTorrent preferences later/tomorrow, or when i feel like it.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

It's a forum chill the **** out , help if you want if it's below you to do so , don't . My comments weren't at you they were at the other person who took umbridge to my flippant request for help and suggested I must have been a delight to deal with by the UPC support guys.

I just wanted to point out how easily UPC fobbed me off and suggested I review these pages instead.

To suggest I am angry or otherwise ain't true.

I'll cancel my request for help.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jackinkul

I'm getting 30-35 KB upload on utorrent from UPC on their 10 MB package and have been recently. Sometimes it's less. Very rarely is it more. There's no configurational fix. It's simply due to UPC's traffic shaping policies.

If UPC don't suffer for pursuing this policy, other ISPs will follow suit. People protecting UPC by waffling on about configuration are not only acting against the interests of those into torrenting who might make the mistake of switching to UPC, but the whole torrenting community.

EDit: I haven't been closely watching the upload I've been getting lately from UPC. (It's too depressing to see just how crap it is!) Today, after my post, I have been doing so. The upload of c30 KB of this morning has dropped to c15 KB now. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jaydoubleyoubee

I'm looking for some help speeding up my torrents. I'm on 7mb eircom, using a netopia router and on my laptop I generally use the wireless connection.

Since my upgrade to 7mb broadband (from 3mb) I've seen an increase to 400kb/s download, maximum, but it's not always that high.

Is there any way to improve this without changing provider?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UPC couldn't help me and pointed me back to here , for a service provider to do that seemed extremely strange to me.

ISP's will never help with bittorrent client configuration or portforwarding on routers, its not within their remit to do so.
    Jackinkul wrote: »
    If UPC don't suffer for pursuing this policy, other ISPs will follow suit. People protecting UPC by waffling on about configuration are not only acting against the interests of those into torrenting who might make the mistake of switching to UPC, but the whole torrenting community.

..and how exactly do you want UPC to suffer exactly?
    A small percentage of users who don't switch to them and are likely heavy users are not going to bother UPC one bit.

Infact heavy users not switching to them works in an ISP's favor due to the way they provide services

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bazh23 wrote: »
    A recorded conversation in which a UPC tech support lady actually openly admitted that UPC do traffic shaping on Torrenting. Thats an actual hard fact.

I would hope that whoever recorded this telephone call notified the agent in question at the beginning of the telephone call that they were doing so, as failure to do so is in breach of the Data Protection Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jackinkul

Cabaal wrote: »

..and how exactly do you want UPC to suffer exactly?
    A small percentage of users who don't switch to them and are likely heavy users are not going to bother UPC one bit.

Infact heavy users not switching to them works in an ISP's favor due to the way they provide services

UPC should suffer

1. The way anyone advertising 100-200 KB upload while actually providing c20-40 KB because of undeclared traffic shaping policies should suffer, by better informed consumers giving their hard-earned cash to other ISPs who don't do this.

2. For pushing the boat out on said traffic shaping policies against the interests of everyone who's into torrenting, whether they're heavy users or, like me, a relatively light user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bigbagofchips

hello, i just regeristed with boards.ie and have found you guys on here very helpfull..

at the moment i have a question which i can't seem to find the answer on here or help regarding UPC CISCO EPC2425 router..

i get speeds of 8kps on bittorrent , and the red icon at the bottom of the screen, which is not what i expected ..

how do i set the port so that the icon turns green and i get fast download speeds?

much thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Open IE
    Go to 192.168.1.1
    Username: blank
    Password blank
    Click ok
    Scroll to wireless
    Click port forwarding

The rest mate is in ur hands

• Advertisement

2. For pushing the boat out on said traffic shaping policies against the interests of everyone who's into torrenting, whether they're heavy users or, like me, a relatively light user.

UPC are not the only ISP to throttle Bittorrent users, second off an ISP's business model does not allow for alot of heavy users accordingly an ISP will take action to protect its network. (read the FAQ about this side of things)

Again those heavy users are very much in a massive minority, no ISP wants 5% of its user base (heavy users) using 95% of its bandwidth.

Don't like UPC's policys then cancel your contract with them and go elsewhere...vote with your feet its a basic consumer right

Why would you need to be seeding torrent at anymore than 40Kb?

If its the Ratio on private trackers you care about, look into RatioMaster which will fake a upload to 99% of trackers.

Ireland just isnt cut out for Uploading yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No requests for torrent invites please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

No throttling for me this morning on upc on a 6MB connection! :)

3787439693_501c5b0245_o.jpg

cisk wrote: »

If its the Ratio on private trackers you care about, look into RatioMaster which will fake a upload to 99% of trackers.

The above is the most unhelpful, uninformed and just plain wrong post in this entire thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Im on upc s 20meg connection i use Utorrent and with BT 7.6 m connection i was able to get up to bout 700kb/s.

So far with upc i have not got over 200kb/s far as i have seen anyway.

I have ports sorted everything is telling me its running fine i even checked a site that told me it does not look like upc is limiting my connection.

Does anyone know of a way to make the torrent speads quicker on upc with Utorrent?? Its just annoyin me as i was gettin faster torrent downloads on BT with a slower connection.

betafrog wrote: »
    If you read the thread you'd know that UPC throttle Torrents and it can't be subverted with any settings in Utorrent or any other torrent program...

I did read the thread but i have noticed alot of people saying they had no problems with speed on upc and that they were able to get much higher speeds which is why i am asking.

I did read the thread but i have noticed alot of people saying they had no problems with speed on upc and that they were able to get much higher speeds which is why i am asking.
    Use a private tracker and download late at night to morning where possible. i try to keep my ratio to 1.05, and no more, UPC doesnt like uploaders. in Utorrent preferences > bandwidth > Global max number of connections // 250. thats what i use anyway. max connected peers per torrent is 50. also i have NAT-PmP port mapping enabled, with UPnP mapping disabled. and DHT disabled.[this is very important for a private tracker, but pretty useless on something like piratebay] number of upload slots limited to 2, and I have Outgoing encryption "Forced" and incoming legacy ticked.

Hope that helps:)

please seed what you download. thats the whole point of p2p.

Nice1 ta ill try these things out smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Thinking of getting UPC Chorus in my new place.

I had it a few years ago, but Soulseek seemed to be blocked (reported by others here too).

Can someone on UPC confirm whether or not Soulseek works now?

• Advertisement

I'm considering switching to UPC 10mb with the "unlimited" download allowance. I'd be downloading with usenet....am i right in assuming i'd get full speeds? I know they throttle torrents but what about newsgroups? Also what does fair usage of the cap work out at? From what I've read here people say its 250gb download, upload combined? Correct? Thanks

i dont use newsgroups but if i can get full speeds on a torrent on a private tracker im sure you'd get it too.

and its 250gb shared i believe, though between my and my roomates im estimating we were around 60-100gb over the limit last month and no leter yet. spoke to the UPC man on the phone asking about billing and he didnt mention a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

i use newsgroups and usually get full speed. Im on a 20mb connection and roughly download 120gb/month. I dont know what the official limit is but i am also led to believe it is 250gb/month which i think is more than generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 explode

I setup a static IP and configured and enabled the port on my router under NAT for port forwarding. I tested the port using the port checker from portforward.com but it tells me the port is not open. I temporarily disabled my windows firewall and the one on my router and tested again and it failed. Any ideas on how can I debug this to find out what is blocking the port?

explode wrote: »
    I setup a static IP and configured and enabled the port on my router under NAT for port forwarding. I tested the port using the port checker from portforward.com but it tells me the port is not open. I temporarily disabled my windows firewall and the one on my router and tested again and it failed. Any ideas on how can I debug this to find out what is blocking the port?
    when i first did port forwarding back when i was with BT it said my port wasnt open, and i tried everything to no avail. eventually gave up and downloaded a torrent anyway, and to my supprise utorrent registered that the port was open and stuff. give it a go and see what happens?

EDIT: post back your result please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 explode

Thanks Tea_Bag, currently I have an amber triangle in the bottom bar of utorrent. I guess I'll give it some time and see if anything happens. Download speeds are fine but I would like to have it configured correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

cisk wrote: »

Eh have you ever read a private trackers rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Since I've updated my Utorrent to the latest version(1.8.3) my speeds have suddenly dropped off from the usual 300kbps to 30.:(

Has anyone else had the same experience and found a solution?

still on 1.8.1 myself, but are you sure the user preferences werent reset to defaults when updating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    still on 1.8.1 myself, but are you sure the user preferences werent reset to defaults when updating?

They quite possibly were set to default again.I wish Id kept the old settings...sigh.I have experimented with quite a few settings now with no luck though. have followed a few tutorials that are supposed to increase speed but they've been useless too.Are there any settings or setting guides that are particularly recommended?

Advertisement