Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Use a private tracker and download late at night to morning where possible. i try to keep my ratio to 1.05, and no more, UPC doesnt like uploaders. in Utorrent preferences > bandwidth > Global max number of connections // 250. thats what i use anyway. max connected peers per torrent is 50. also i have NAT-PmP port mapping enabled, with UPnP mapping disabled. and DHT disabled.[this is very important for a private tracker, but pretty useless on something like piratebay] number of upload slots limited to 2, and I have Outgoing encryption "Forced" and incoming legacy ticked.

Hope that helps:)

please seed what you download. thats the whole point of p2p.
    my recommendations... from experimentation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just thought this was worth mentioning.

if you want to test your torrent client to see what it is actually capable of without poor seed/leech ratio's messing with your top speed give this a go:

http://dlc.sun.com/torrents/info/osol-0906-x86.iso.torrent

it's the ISO of the 32bit version of opensolaris (it's free and legal) and when I just downloaded it on my UPC 20mbps connection it topped out at 17mbps as there were 160+ seeds and only 1-2 peers when I downloaded it.

give it a go if you are having download speed issues but aren't sure if it's a problem with what you are downloading, your connection or your client. :)

that way, if you get it quick, you'll know it's related to the seed/peer ratio and that your client and PC are set up right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Sheesh, this is a horrible thread.

From what I can gather...... most people think that UPC is throttling most peoples P2P traffic. My question is how much would this affect things.

Its half one in the morning in Dublin city center, I'm on the 10mb package and currently getting an upload and download speed of 25 odd kB each with BitTorrent. My speedtest.net's are coming in near the 10mb promised.

I've tried one or two of the settings I've found here re BitTorrent and the Cisco router, but they don't seem to have made any difference. Anyone willing to offer a complete step by step guide to improving speed? (apart from changing IP) Or will I just have to work out how to get on to a private network?

Thanks

did you try downloading the ISO in my previous post? its very well seeded and will rule out any config issues on your end.

i was torrenting last night and my torrents peaked (using public trackers, so not particularly well seeded) at 5282.17 kbit/s (644.80 KB/s) at around 9:45pm, so even if UPC have been throttling in the past, they do not appear to be doing so now.

i suppose it's possible that UPC are selectively throttling people depending on how busy a particular area is, but it seems unlikely to me.

it's the 23rd of the month and these are my upload and download stats.

Date Download Upload Total
    2009-08 119.19 GB 54.48 GB 173.67 GB

that should be well over 200gb by the end of the month, so i'm a heavy user and the vast majority of that is via torrents.

personally, i'd see about getting a decent router that i could put a 3rd party firmware on like dd-wrt or tomato so i could manage the connection more efficiently. i wouldn't have any faith in the cisco at all. i don't think it's designed with the punishment that torrrenting will give it in mind.

you could try buying a new router and bridging the cisco to it, or if that fails, make a complaint to upc that it's crap and ask for the scientific atlanta modem, it works fine as a bridge to a better router.

i wouldn't rule out a few changes in the config on the router to improve the situation, but i don't have any experience with the cisco yoke, so i can't really comment on that other than from seeing lots of people having problems with it for various reasons on the forums.

Vibe, is that a counter add-on in your torrent client or an 3rd party software install?

• Advertisement

its a traffic log from my router, which is another good reason to buy a seperate router that will take a decent 3rd party firmware. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Thanks Vibe,

That ISO downloaded fast enough 1.1mB/s, 2.7kB/s upload. Which is about the top download speed for torrents I got previously with the 24mb BT package. I'm happy to see your stats too, they're the sort of figures I was hoping for. After a bit of playing around I've discovered that if I limit the amount of files I try to download at once the speeds aren't so bad. I'll investigate changing the router a bit more....

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Anyone having issues with Magnet (Fibre) with torrents? Mine have simply stopped working all together...Have tried multiple torrent apps that have always worked and now nothing....Everything else working, Spotify, websites etc...I am using a Apple Mac..

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with Magnet (Fibre) with torrents? Mine have simply stopped working all together...Have tried multiple torrent apps that have always worked and now nothing....Everything else working, Spotify, websites etc...I am using a Apple Mac..
    is it possible for you to test your BB with another pc/mac?

No, my other mac is getting repaired...think I have another windows laptop around, I'll give that a shot...

• Advertisement

even if you need to borrow one. that way we can eliminate the mac as the problem.

Okay, found the old laptop....torrents working, can't see anything in my Mac causing problems, have not updated anything...

Checked the firewall and it is open, tried multiple torrent clients same thing...very strange

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Okay, found the old laptop....torrents working, can't see anything in my Mac causing problems, have not updated anything...

Checked the firewall and it is open, tried multiple torrent clients same thing...very strange
    did you try the same torrent that is failing on the mac?

Yeah, they work on the windows laptop....not one torrent will work on the mac, even ones I know have worked before...no movement at all..

Trackers are offline and timing out on a lot of torrent sites,i am using uTorrent and its been like that all week through an Eircom internet connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Trackers are offline and timing out on a lot of torrent sites,i am using uTorrent and its been like that all week through an Eircom internet connection!

Would they be Pirate Bay trackers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Blarggggh

Hi, trying to set up port forwarding for Bittorrent 6.2 with eircon on a netopia router. Ive set up a static IP and im just trying to set up the port range and base port
    Ive set the port range to 44246 - 44246
    and the base portr at 44246 but my download speed is uneffected my upload seems quit high at the mo its 28 kBs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I had UPC 20Mb installed on friday and cant get uTorrent or Vuze to work well , both are piss slow and all other pages refuse to load when I try to DL anything .

Any ideas ???

hey sharkman.

what ports are you using for your BT traffic in your clients?

are you using encrypted transport? (still not convinced this makes any difference myself, but might worth trying if you're not already).

what speeds do you get on speedtest.net?

are you getting green smilies on torrents in vuze (never used utorrent, not sure what a 'good' download looks like in it)?

where abouts in Ireland are you?

did you try downloading the opensolaris ISO torrent i posted on the previous page?

how fast does that come in?

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    hey sharkman.

what ports are you using for your BT traffic in your clients?

are you using encrypted transport? (still not convinced this makes any difference myself, but might worth trying if you're not already).

what speeds do you get on speedtest.net?

are you getting green smilies on torrents in vuze (never used utorrent, not sure what a 'good' download looks like in it)?

where abouts in Ireland are you?

did you try downloading the opensolaris ISO torrent i posted on the previous page?

how fast does that come in?

559523446.png

I'm using 42764 for incoming TCP listen port
    Not sure about encrypted transport
    Im in Swords

Not connecting to any peers and failing the vuze speedtest.

sharkman wrote: »
    I'm using 42764 for incoming TCP listen port

Ive heard stories of UPC blocking 40 000+ ports, as they're the most common for torrenting. try change it to low 30000's. also, try uTorrent with the same torrent thats failing to see if it could be a setting in vuze thats doing the job?
    madmoe wrote: »
    Hi guys,

i suggest you delete that pic / or edit it to not show what you're ILLEGALLY downloading!!!

**** it , I'm fed up trying , Calling them now and going back to BT , at least their CS knwe what they were talking about and could help you out .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey Tea Bag,
    I deleted the pic, u any advice on why it is always showing ornange and says blocked in Bitcomet?

Cheers,
    M

sharkman wrote: »
    **** it , I'm fed up trying , Calling them now and going back to BT , at least their CS knwe what they were talking about and could help you out .

Pity...I was also thinking of getting UPC in. Aren't you stuck with a 12 month contract though?:confused:

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey Tea Bag,
    I deleted the pic, u any advice on why it is always showing ornange and says blocked in Bitcomet?

Cheers,
    M
    Im not a bitcomet user, so ive really no idea how it works/what that light means. if you had uTorrent i could possibly help you out more.

are your ports forwarded correctly, and have you tested them?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

SHARKMAN

Also a new customer here to UPC and startled by the way they have the BB setup. Whether is shaping/throttling or something in the routers firmware it's pretty crap. Tried a few torrent apps last night and on a 10meg line with verified speed from Speedtest.net the max DL I could get was 80kbs.

I had ports opened and tested and encryption on.

Also found that a test file I tried from Rapidshare started out at about 400kb and quickly slid back down to about 40kb as a consistent rate.

I am not a big torrenter but if I am going to get this kind of problem on direct downloads then it will be a major problem. Need them to access files when I work from home at night.

for the first time in a while, im having problems with UPC too. currently im DLing from a private tracker at..... 10kbps. uTorrent says that i am unreachable and that a router or firewall is blocking it from working. i cant access the router's setup page as it has been disabled.

also, when torrenting, (at 10kbps -> connected to 5 seeders) my web browser Opera is unbelievably slow, and times out constantly on pages, which need to be refreshed several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Im not a bitcomet user, so ive really no idea how it works/what that light means. if you had uTorrent i could possibly help you out more.

are your ports forwarded correctly, and have you tested them?

Hi mate,
    I managed to get it working for my mate. Have ordered BB from UPC for my own gaff and was wondering am I better off using uTorrent or sticking with Bitcomet?

• Advertisement

uTorrent all the way.

Get a 3rd party router when you get your BB and save yourself hell.

Advertisement