Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

vibe666 wrote: »
    that's what happens when you have it all set up right on a well seeded torrent. :)

Agreed, the vast majority of people that complain of slow speeds on torrents either
    - Don't have client configured correctly
    - Don't have router configured correctly
    - Are not on a torrent with enough seeds (far too many peers)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bazh23

Just a few thoughts/suggestions on UPC's traffic-shaping policy:-

I just got off the phone with UPC's tech support line. The answers you get seam to vary hugely depending on the time of day and the individual person you speak to. Luckily this time I found out: UPC still do traffic-shaping - and yes this is most likely down to settings locked in to the new Cisco router's firmware - there is no way to change this. However, I found a solution -

1 - I did not experience any limitation on download speeds - only upload speeds being restricted to about 1/4 of my bandwidth (25-30kb/s)
    2 - I am using Utorrent and tried various ports between 20,000 - 80,000
    3 - Now I tried changing to a port in the 17XXX range and after forwarding it correctly I saw an instant improvement in upload speed!

So I hope this helps others who are experiencing difficulty with restrictions on Bittorrent. But beware, like the previous user stated, many of the problems with download speeds and browsing difficulty while using the bittorrent client are down to user error - and not UPC!

Its very important that you have your BitTorrent client configured correctly.

From the huge improvement in Upload speeds due to changing the port down to a low number, It seems that UPC are definitely targeting a specific range of ports commonly used by BitTorrent.

UPC's fair usage policy (BS policy!!) pretty much allows them to restrict a user any way they see fit.... beware of this before you sign your contract!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Having serious issues with uploading with UPC here too with torrents. It's hanging around 10KB/s - tried various port ranges, nothing works. Impossible to improve my ratio with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Almost 500 kb/sec with o2 mobile broadband. Sweet.
    Max I get with BT is 300.

o2bb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I got 1.2m on my Imagine breeze connection this morning:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

when you say incorrect configuration of your router, what do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

TheDriver wrote: »
    when you say incorrect configuration of your router, what do you mean?

Incorrect Port Forwarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Hi all!

Been using P2P such a uTorrent for awhile now however a complete noob when it comes to configuring the port forwarding settings etc.. for optimized performance.

Recently got UPC's 10MB package so would really like to make the most of it.

From reading through this mega-thread I gather that using a lower number for the port forwarding is advisable as most ISP's know that ports from 40XXX - 60XXX are popular for torrents, is this correct?

Anyways I have my port opened at 32538 on uTorrent and also have this opened when I go to my routers homepage.. however.. I'm getting a red (!) sign on the bottom of my uTorrent advising me that I'm "Not connectable" - "A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic, you need to open a port so others can connect to you"

Would any of you be so kind enough as to share the settings you're currently using to get good downloading speeds or share any info/tips on how to optimize my current uTorrent settings?

Thanks for any help guys, I really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

there might be a firewall blocking your port. you have to open ports in your router AND the firewall on your pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What router do you use, and are you positive you set up that port to forward to your computer's IP address?

Re firewall, make sure it's not blocking UDP for the torrent application, as I find some firewall software blocks UDP, even though you've told it to allow TCP for that app.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it! :)

Sorry if the following is patently obvious.. please bear with me...

Right, I did initally have the port forwarding set up ok as when I did the port forwarding check (uTorrent -> Options -> Speed Guide -> Test if port is properly forwarded) I was getting the green tick and everything looked hunky dory!

However on checking it today it looks as though it's not, here's what I'm getting:
    Port Checker.jpg

I thought that this would be properly forwarded as I have added it to my routers set-up, see here:
    Port Forwarding.jpg

Here are my current uTorrent settings:
    uTorrent Speed Guide.jpg

Re: my Firewall - currently using AVG, can't see any reason why it would be blocking uTorrent, but perhaps it is! Not sure how to unblock it if that is the case though...

Can anyone shed any light on the above settings? Any incorrect there or anything I should change?

Still have the red (!) on my uTorrent telling me my connections are unconnectable.

Re: Router - it's what I got from UPC a Cisco EPC2425

Thanks in advance for any help guys, muchly appreciated! x

Here are my current uTorrent settings:
    uTorrent Speed Guide.jpg

well your connection type is wrong for a start. it should be xx/1Mbit, refering to your upload speed.
    Re: my Firewall - currently using AVG

ive had soooo many sleepless nights over avg and utorrent that i gave up on avg. this, i suspect, is where your problem lies. try disabling AVG temporarily and see what utorrent shows.
    Cisco EPC2425

i've the same. its a horrible router. it randomly resets itself, clearing opened ports and openDNS back to default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 spektr

Cisco EPC2425 has arrived recently too (10mbs package)
    I'm getting around ~200kbps at the moment, haven't tried upload yet.
    port is forwarded (green sign at the bottom), although I'm not sure if all the options are configured correctly. any advice on how to improve speeds?

P.S. browser works fast.

spektr wrote: »
    Cisco EPC2425 has arrived recently too (10mbs package)
    I'm getting around ~200kbps at the moment, haven't tried upload yet.
    port is forwarded (green sign at the bottom), although I'm not sure if all the options are configured correctly. any advice on how to improve speeds?

P.S. browser works fast.

seems fine. are you downloading off a private tracker? your max speed is always limited by the seed/peer ratio, which isnt normally a problem on a PT, as people use hispeed servers to get good ratio's, meaning you get around 1.1mbps DL speed.

I have that Cisco router too. With Utorrent & no firewall.
    At first I thought changing the port to a lower port number would help.
    But it hasn't. I'm using port 9xx forwarded through the router and the upload speed is still very slow.

Yet i'm on a private tracker with lots of peers connected and should be getting a much higher upload speed... it never seems to go higher than 28kb/s even though my bandwidth is approx 120kb/s upload.

Is there anyone out there who can advise on getting around this problem? Please.. its been driving me nuts for the last few months... :mad:

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    seems fine. are you downloading off a private tracker? your max speed is always limited by the seed/peer ratio, which isnt normally a problem on a PT, as people use hispeed servers to get good ratio's, meaning you get around 1.1mbps DL speed.

yes it's a private tracker. I forgot to add that before UPC I was on a different provider and was getting ~300kbps (that was a maximum for that package). haven't changed tracker or any options since then...so I presume the problem is either in that Ci[au]s[age]co black box or at the other end of our TV cables, namely at UPC.

also checked upload: ~10kpbs (again this was higher before).

playing with router settings at the moment, who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

spektr wrote: »
    yes it's a private tracker. I forgot to add that before UPC I was on a different provider and was getting ~300kbps (that was a maximum for that package). haven't changed tracker or any options since then...so I presume the problem is either in that Ci[au]s[age]co black box or at the other end of our TV cables, namely at UPC.

also checked upload: ~10kpbs (again this was higher before).

playing with router settings at the moment, who knows...

exact same as me , i've tried most suggestions i could find bar buying a new router and flashing the better software which is next on my list

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

just got upc in today, got 700kb on a torrent this morning, only downloaded a small ish one for trial, worked good, now cant get over 100kb on any torrent even hugely seeded one, utorrent settings are fine! didnt even forward ports earlier on my modem and it was fine, tired to forward them now and makes no difference!

eoinf wrote: »
    exact same as me , i've tried most suggestions i could find bar buying a new router and flashing the better software which is next on my list

well keep us posted.
    Log-on wrote: »
    just got upc in today, got 700kb on a torrent this morning, only downloaded a small ish one for trial, worked good, now cant get over 100kb on any torrent even hugely seeded one, utorrent settings are fine! didnt even forward ports earlier on my modem and it was fine, tired to forward them now and makes no difference!

welcome to the club I guess.
    apparently they forgot to turn on their special programm for you at first :D

this a joke. noting will torrent over 100kb! with speed tests close enough to 20mb most of the time!

• Advertisement

id rather have a download limit and have my speeds then have this ****

UPC are a joke with the way they are limiting torrent traffic.
    They don't realise just how many of their customers use torrents.
    A pity they can't be more open and honest about this traffic-shaping practice of theirs. I've spoken to several technical support people in UPC over the last couple of months and many of them don't even know its going on... and if they do just end up quoting their "Fair Usage Policy".

I really wish there was a way around this.
    I'd buy that router and flash it with the firmware etc. if I knew for certain that this would solve this problem. But the cisco router doesn't allow you to bypass it or change many settings. Its a really crap router and UPC don't supply any alternative... :mad::mad::mad:

~300kbps download and ~30kbps upload last night.
    I wonder has anyone on UPC actually achieved high upload speed and what it was?

stable 60kbps upload at the moment. much better although only half of what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

I have noticed that late at night the download speeds are definitely better rather than in early evening.

Have tried downloading files over HTTP from Microsoft servers and I get savage speeds. Has anyone ever used Rapidshare (paid service) on UPC? Surely they can't traffic shape HTTP downloads as well?

much further up this forum i posted a pic of me uploading at 100kbps or something. its not impossible, but i found late night torrenting to be more relaxed shaping. and i can torrent DL at 1.1mbps on my private tracker.

madmoe wrote: »
    I have noticed that late at night the download speeds are definitely better rather than in early evening.

Have tried downloading files over HTTP from Microsoft servers and I get savage speeds. Has anyone ever used Rapidshare (paid service) on UPC? Surely they can't traffic shape HTTP downloads as well?

Rapidshare and other such services are fine.
    The only problem arises with BitTorrent - using the high port ranges.
    Download speeds tend to be ok on BitTorrent - but the real problem arises when trying to seed back (to obtain a good ratio on private trackers) - the speeds tend to be no more than 30kb/s - anything higher is simply temporary - not the norm.

I've had ntl 20mb about 5 days now. It's odd during the morning and early atfternoon i can download on torrents up to 2.2mbps but then once it reaces around 5 to 3am the max and torrent will get is around 300kbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Log-on wrote: »
    I've had ntl 20mb about 5 days now. It's odd during the morning and early atfternoon i can download on torrents up to 2.2mbps but then once it reaces around 5 to 3am the max and torrent will get is around 300kbs.

Your on the 20 mb deal-i would ring up if i were you :mad:

• Advertisement

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Your on the 20 mb deal-i would ring up if i were you :mad:
    yeah you're right!

Advertisement