Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Log-on wrote: »
    Can you tell us the settings for it?
    spektr wrote: »
    yes, few details would be nice!
    so you turned off wireless option in Cisco and connected Netgear to it via ethernet, right?
    correct.

Netgear WGR614 v9

im having a few problems with the router/cisco with port forwarding, and now utorrent is telling me im not connectable, and a firewall or router is blocking the connection. it started happening when i got a strange message from the netgear saying there were clashes in IP addresses and it was reverting the DHCP to 10.0.0.x ip's. annoying, but fine. i forwarded my port and 10.0.0.x ip of my PC on the netgear (which i made static for my pc's mac address)
    and ive also made a static ip address on the cisco for this mac address, which is a 192.168.1.xx IP, and forwarded utorrent's port on that too. (i figured the cisco will convert my 10.0.0.x ip to the 192.168.1.xx before giving us an external IP.

as a whole, its a work in progress. but im ironing out stuff, albeit slowly. HTTP is definitely faster, and the connection strength stays constant, unlike the Cisco way.

Ive simply disabled the Cisco Access Point, and plugged the netgear router into the ethernet side. im sure i can do more, and im very open to suggestions.

UPDAte

was on the phone to UPC today, to try sort the DHCP thing out, and they went to

Setup in Cisco router

Wireless - Security

Primary Network

Disable.

they said that should sort it and disable the "router" in the Cisco, but im guessing it wont. hopefully it will. they put me through to the Irish call centre after the indian/foreign one became stuck at access point, and after i called their bluff on tech mumbo jumbo they were spitting at me about it being fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

cheers for the updates

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Hi guys, having a few probs at the moment and haven't been able to find exact solution by searching. I joined a private tracker and downloaded uTorrent. I want to forward ports and it all seems relatively straightforward on portforward.com. However the first thing it needs me to do is setup a Static IP.

I'm on UPC Home Broadband 10MB - with Netgear WGR614v7 Wireless router.
    when I run ipconfig/all I'm not really getting anything for DNS servers (just 192.168.1.1)
    Also when I go to the router login page it says I have a different ip adress then the one that's listed under ipconfig (ipconfig one begins with 192.168.1.x - router login or whatismyip says it's 89.101.xxx.xx) This is stopping me from sucessfully setting up the Static IP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - apologies if I've missed it another thread

:)

the 89.101.xxx.xx IP is your external IP address. the 192.168.1.x is the one you want to forward. its the internal network IP address. Well i could be completely wrong but thats what ive done/assumed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    the 89.101.xxx.xx IP is your external IP address. the 192.168.1.x is the one you want to forward. its the internal network IP address. Well i could be completely wrong but thats what ive done/assumed.

Thanks Tea_Bag :)

I'll ignore the other ip address so. Still have the issue with the dns servers though. When I run ipconfig the portforward site indicates I should have 2 seperate dns servers listed. I seem to only have one which is just 192.168.1.1 - same as my default gateway and DCHP server address which is why I'm having probs setting up Static IP I think. Would like to setup static for a few reasons too, have multiple devices setup such as xbox with xbmc and popcorn hour so would prefer to have manual/static ip.

my Primary DNS (static IP only) is 89.101.160.4
    and Secondary DNS is 89.101.160.5

This is the UPC standard. or what my router keeps reseting to anyway. no luck with OpenDns and Cisco 2425

can some one give me good some good settings for torrents on upc? 20mb? I just want to check, cos it's either throttling my speeds of incorrect settings.

I'm 95% sure my settings are correct as some times i get speeds off 2.2mbps on torrents etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Hi

For the past 2 days i can get firefox to open up the pirate bay home page-im not with eircom but i am with one of their resellers. Every other website i use can still be opened so i guess access to the pirate bay is being blocked somehow. Have other people been able to access pirate in the last two days?

If this does not work out for me what other websites are good replacements for the pirate bay?

hello932 wrote: »
    Hi

For the past 2 days i can get firefox to open up the pirate bay home page-im not with eircom but i am with one of their resellers. Every other website i use can still be opened so i guess access to the pirate bay is being blocked somehow. Have other people been able to access pirate in the last two days?

If this does not work out for me what other websites are good replacements for the pirate bay?

I'm with ntl and up untill today i could use that site fine! now thought it just wont load up, noting about it being blocked etc. time to use newgroups i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

re:The Pirate Bay
    This may be of some relevance..
    http://torrentfreak.com/brein-disconnects-the-pirate-bay-for-now-091005/

It seems the good ship Pirate Bay is sailing away....for now.

re:The Pirate Bay
    This may be of some relevance..
    http://torrentfreak.com/brein-disconnects-the-pirate-bay-for-now-091005/

It seems the good ship Pirate Bay is sailing away....for now.

Ok so when will access to the pirate bay be back-it says at the end of that article that it will be soon...what is soon?

also what other sites are good for finding torrents?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Try <torrent site removed> I use it all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Again probably old news but it was new to me! I have found when downloading a torrent on utorrent that I can increase my speed considerably if I load other trackers from the same torrent.

The easiest way to find other trackers for your torrent is to go to the General tab in utorrent and then copy the "hash" number there and paste it into torrent sites search engines. The best place to do this is a popular site begining with "iso".

chilly wrote: »
    Again probably old news but it was new to me! I have found when downloading a torrent on utorrent that I can increase my speed considerably if I load other trackers from the same torrent.

The easiest way to find other trackers for your torrent is to go to the General tab in utorrent and then copy the "hash" number there and paste it into torrent sites search engines. The best place to do this is a popular site begining with "iso".
    or..... get on a private tracker:) happy days maxing out my download connection every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Just a general question about torrents that I can't seem to find an answer to on-line : What is the difference between a local peer and a remote one?

Anyone else here think that the P2P thread here should become a fully fledged forum by itself? im sick of having to post into some random mega-thread.

Anyone else here think that the P2P thread here should become a fully fledged forum by itself? im sick of having to post into some random mega-thread.

I always presumed we were lucky to have a p2p thread at all given that boards.ie doesn't support the activities that p2p are generally used for. If having a dedicated forum is a possibility however I think it'd be a great idea. So much great advice gets buried too quickly in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I always presumed we were lucky to have a p2p thread at all given that boards.ie doesn't support the activities that p2p are generally used for. If having a dedicated forum is a possibility however I think it'd be a great idea. So much great advice gets buried too quickly in this thread.

Amen to that. The one other thing I notice about this thread is the distinct lack of "n00b" bashing that plagues most p2p forums.

+1 to forum status, though i do appreciate that we get this thread as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Please Please Please......... It would surely help make things clearer and save on repetitive questions and confusing question/answer sequences

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

Guys,

I'm on the 20mb package from NTL but get rubbish download speeds on UTorrent and BitTorrent i.e 60-70kbps average even when it's a very popular torrent. Anybody else have this problem?

I attempted the port forwarding option but not sure if I set it up correctly, anybody have this config and does it improve speeds?

SeamyH wrote: »
    Guys,

I'm on the 20mb package from NTL but get rubbish download speeds on UTorrent and BitTorrent i.e 60-70kbps average even when it's a very popular torrent. Anybody else have this problem?

I attempted the port forwarding option but not sure if I set it up correctly, anybody have this config and does it improve speeds?

Forwarding the post can drastically improve speeds. To check if you have correctly forwarded your ports open the uTorrent speed guide (go to "options" and choose "speed guide"), and click "Test if port is forwarded correctly". Then at least you will know if your efforts so far have been successful.

Forwarding the post can drastically improve speeds. To check if you have correctly forwarded your ports open the uTorrent speed guide (go to "options" and choose "speed guide"), and click "Test if port is forwarded correctly". Then at least you will know if your efforts so far have been successful.

Cheers Chilly, do you / anybody have a decent link explainng the port forwarding procedure? The post I was using was from over a year ago and there is possibly some changes to it now. I have a netgear router and I have the BitTorrent and UTorrent client.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Anyone ever have issue getting into the Web UI for the NTL Cisco modem?

I am connected and Internet is fine etc etc and if I do an ipconfig /all my gateway is 192.168.1.1 but can I hell connect to the router via IE or any other browser for that matter?

Cheers,
    M

Cheers Chilly, do you / anybody have a decent link explainng the port forwarding procedure? The post I was using was from over a year ago and there is possibly some changes to it now. I have a netgear router and I have the BitTorrent and UTorrent client.
    http://portforward.com/

good website to help you

madmoe wrote: »
    Anyone ever have issue getting into the Web UI for the NTL Cisco modem?

I am connected and Internet is fine etc etc and if I do an ipconfig /all my gateway is 192.168.1.1 but can I hell connect to the router via IE or any other browser for that matter?

Cheers,
    M
    192.168.1.1 is the address you go to, and the username and password are both empty, as in blank, then press enter/ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Bring too much attention on to what is being discussed here (and lets face it, it's pretty much illegal activities that you want all this for) and the admins may decide that it cannot be discussed at all. We're already on shaky enough ground with this thread. It's not a random mega-thread either, it's a very specific mega-thread.

There are plenty of forums on the Internet that do allow full discussion of nefarious activities involving P2P networks.

Guys,

Following the port forward instructions about setting up a static IP address but the DNS server listed under ipconfig is the router ip. How do I find out the NTL DNS server info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 bazh23

Guys,

Following the port forward instructions about setting up a static IP address but the DNS server listed under ipconfig is the router ip. How do I find out the NTL DNS server info?

To get the DNS servers this is how I did it:
    (this is in Windows Vista - XP is slightly different)

- in Network Connections, right click - Click on Status
    - Click on Details
    - The info you need is listed under IPv4 DNS Servers

However - If you are using the Cisco router supplied by UPC, you can create a fixed IP more simply by going to Fixed CPE IP Assignment in the setup section of the router page.

Advertisement