Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

bazh23 wrote: »
    To get the DNS servers this is how I did it:
    (this is in Windows Vista - XP is slightly different)

- in Network Connections, right click - Click on Status
    - Click on Details
    - The info you need is listed under IPv4 DNS Servers

However - If you are using the Cisco router supplied by UPC, you can create a fixed IP more simply by going to Fixed CPE IP Assignment in the setup section of the router page.

I'm on a Netgear router but when I check details under net connections (Vista) the DNS server is set to router ip 192.168.1.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

SeamyH wrote: »
    Guys,

I'm on the 20mb package from NTL but get rubbish download speeds on UTorrent and BitTorrent i.e 60-70kbps average even when it's a very popular torrent. Anybody else have this problem?

I attempted the port forwarding option but not sure if I set it up correctly, anybody have this config and does it improve speeds?
    you know if you have the right setup if you have a little green icon at the bottom of utorrent

http://i34.tinypic.com/2edupz8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

SeamyH wrote: »
    I'm on a Netgear router but when I check details under net connections (Vista) the DNS server is set to router ip 192.168.1.1.

The DNS servers are probably set up in your router, which is why the computer is set to look at the router. UPC DNS are 89.101.160.8 and 89.101.160.9. Alternately you can use OpenDNS which are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

You set these up in the router config. On the Netgear, it's under Basic Settings, which you'll find on the top left of the main menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

jor el wrote: »
    The DNS servers are probably set up in your router, which is why the computer is set to look at the router. UPC DNS are 89.101.160.8 and 89.101.160.9. Alternately you can use OpenDNS which are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

You set these up in the router config. On the Netgear, it's under Basic Settings, which you'll find on the top left of the main menu.

Found the DNS under router settings thanks. I tried a torrent yesterday and was getting speeds of 350-300 average which is a big step up from 70-80, cheers for the assistance lads!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rickard

Jesus.. I wish I had known about this before I swapped from eircon 7mb to upc 20mb........

my eircom is still active. any torrent I open I instantly download at max 620-630... but this upc shet despite getting 20mb in speedtest.. I am only downloading at 100-200k/s THIS IS A JOKE.. its like going back years ffs.

im fuming right now.. i cant live with 200k/s download torrents.

is there no way around this??

i dont want to have to rely on getting lucky that theres a swedish single seed who maxes my connection out.

im on a private torrent site

this is disgraceful fdsgdfg sdfghfd what a massive mistake............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

thats cos eircom dont throttle torrent useage !

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

just wondering... anyone using irishto****ts. Just found about them now. Is it any good.Anyone got a spare invite.Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Rickard wrote: »
    Jesus.. I wish I had known about this before I swapped from eircon 7mb to upc 20mb........

my eircom is still active. any torrent I open I instantly download at max 620-630... but this upc shet despite getting 20mb in speedtest.. I am only downloading at 100-200k/s THIS IS A JOKE.. its like going back years ffs.

im fuming right now.. i cant live with 200k/s download torrents.

is there no way around this??

i dont want to have to rely on getting lucky that theres a swedish single seed who maxes my connection out.

im on a private torrent site

this is disgraceful fdsgdfg sdfghfd what a massive mistake............

How could eircom be better than UPC? your post does not make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

UPC are definitely throttling torrents but only at certain times during the day. I've been watching the speeds over the past few days and recording them. I'm on the 20mb package, have forwarded the ports correctly and use Azureus 4.2.0.8. I have excellent speed tests and the line checks out fine on both upload and download speeds. I'm in D14.

So here's the throttle evidence. I'm connecting to a private tracker in the UK and I know you won't believe me but I'm testing this on a download that's legal & legit with a huge seed : peer ratio (1021:11).

Wednesday 28th October @ 10:46 Full speed.

Thursday 29th October @ 03:22 Throttled.

Thursday 29th October @ 10:49 Full speed.

Friday 30th October @ 00:31 Badly throttled.

Same torrent, same tracker, same computer, same set up - throttled. Am really fecked off with this. I too switched from Eircon 7mb to UPC 20mb and expected to get fantastic speeds all the time. What an eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

So from this it looks like during the morning it is throttled or at night time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

just wondering... anyone using irishto****ts. Just found about them now. Is it any good.Anyone got a spare invite.Ta

Neither this thread, the Broadband forum or boards.ie are places to request anything in relation to warez sites, please do not post further on this line of topic or you'll be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

bronn wrote: »
    Thursday 29th October @ 03:22 Throttled.
    It seems very odd that they would throttle it in the early hours of the morning :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

That is exactly what I thought as well!

I moved from Bitcomet to uTorrent and although I am still not getting mega speeds I am getting way better ones using uTorrent on a 10MB NTL package. Anyone else noticed this??

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

I know. It does look odd but throttling is the only explanation I can come up with. If everything checks out, speed wise, and all ports are forwarded the way they should be, and the torrent isn't changing (if anything, it gained more seeders and lost a few leechers) then the problem has to be with the ISP.

Still scratching my head over it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Hello,

Any one using amacom in the Clare area. They used to ok for d/l the odd torrents (utorrent) but in the last few weeks everything seems to have changed. When you start utorrent, it says that all the trackers are refused by host. I have encryption turned on but it makes no difference.
    Has other amacom user notice this???

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Does anyone have any tips on increasing upload speeds in uTorrent?

I've been seeding something for the past 24 hours in the hope of boosting my ratio on a site and I've only sucesseded in uploading 187mb in total .Can anyone recommend a tweaking guide with advice?

Is a regular upload speed of absolute max 5kB/s normal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

What connection do you have (down/up)? 187KB/sec seems like a pretty fast up-speed to me?

What connection do you have (down/up)? 187KB/sec seems like a pretty fast up-speed to me?

Sorry I typed that incorrectly.I wish it was 187KB/s! :)
    I meant that in 24hrs I only managed to upload 187mb. My highest upload speed during that time was 5kB/s.

I have a 7mb Eircom connection. Are such snail pace upload speeds the norm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

chilly wrote: »
    I have a 7mb Eircom connection. Are such snail pace upload speeds the norm ?

Well on private trackers, where ratio is a concern, then the problem usually is lack of leechers. I'd say that's more likely to be the issue rather than connection problems.

How is your seeding on non-private trackers?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

I too have the 7.6mb / 684kb DSL connection but with UTV. It uses the Eircom infrastructure so it is essentially the same.

It's rare to see anyone too concerend about uploading rates! I stick with version 1.6 of utorrent as it seems to give you full whack downwards no matter how much you restrict your upload speed unlike later versions and version 2 will now also throttle connections so that's a no no.

Assuming you have a 684kbs uplink then your theoretical max upload speed would be approx 85KB/sec. But you should never configure utorrent to the max, set it at 80% at most if you must but I found even at 80% it still choked my internet performance so mine is now set at 40KB/sec and everything is running smoothly.

Trial and error really, but you'll get there.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.
    DeepBlue wrote: »
    Well on private trackers, where ratio is a concern, then the problem usually is lack of leechers. I'd say that's more likely to be the issue rather than connection problems.

How is your seeding on non-private trackers?

My speeds seem to be the same on private trackers and on public ones.I never really get above the 5kbs mark regardless of what settings I try. Admittedly one of the torrents I'm now seeding only has 2 seeds and 5 peers but I am not connected to even one of them. Equally on the better leeched torrents I'm only occasionally connected to one or two leech. Maybe the just don't like me. :)
    I too have the 7.6mb / 684kb DSL connection but with UTV. It uses the Eircom infrastructure so it is essentially the same.

It's rare to see anyone too concerend about uploading rates! I stick with version 1.6 of utorrent as it seems to give you full whack downwards no matter how much you restrict your upload speed unlike later versions and version 2 will now also throttle connections so that's a no no.

Assuming you have a 684kbs uplink then your theoretical max upload speed would be approx 85KB/sec. But you should never configure utorrent to the max, set it at 80% at most if you must but I found even at 80% it still choked my internet performance so mine is now set at 40KB/sec and everything is running smoothly.

Trial and error really, but you'll get there.

I normally don't care at all about my upload but I have to take care of my ratio or be kicked on the site I'm using right now. :)
    I have found the same issue with setting my upload so I usually I do like you and try to keep it lower than 80%. However in this instance I've tried boosting it to see if it'll help my upload but all to no avail.

I've found newer versions of u Torrent to be slower on the whole so I'll have a look for version 1.6. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I just noticed this thread; I searched for the word streamtorrent but there were no results, am I in the wrong place??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TigerPhil

How would one find NBC on sopcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

TigerPhil wrote: »
    How would one find NBC on sopcast?

Under NEWS?

Like MSNBC

http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=34667&file=filename.pls

or

http://68.165.71.58:18000

Lot of others if that is not what you want.

I am of course supposing that whatever application you use shows categories of stations ......

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Still closed for registration but the site is back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Im new to bittorrents and have just started using utorrent on eircom 1mb. Is there any pitfalls I shoud be aware of?

Also, can anyone tell me how to save the utorrent files on my hard drive so I can watch the films on my TV?

Bren1609 wrote: »
    Im new to bittorrents and have just started using utorrent on eircom 1mb. Is there any pitfalls I shoud be aware of?

Also, can anyone tell me how to save the utorrent files on my hard drive so I can watch the films on my TV?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/229385

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

I have given up trying to forward my ports for bloody utorrent with my eircom router..Doin my head in all together

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

wardides wrote: »
    I have given up trying to forward my ports for bloody utorrent with my eircom router..Doin my head in all together

www.portforward.com should be of some use. It was for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Was doing that but tryna set up a static ip was doin my head in.Followed everything but dont know if i put the right ip adress in or dns server.All i know is that everytime i did it i couldnt browse so wasnt having any luck!

Advertisement