Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

wardides wrote: »
    Was doing that but tryna set up a static ip was doin my head in.Followed everything but dont know if i put the right ip adress in or dns server.All i know is that everytime i did it i couldnt browse so wasnt having any luck!

To be honest, I set up the static ip alright (I'm on a upc netgear router) but I haven't the faintest how I did it. Dumb luck, literally. Hopefully someone else here can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Ye was hopin somebody could..Duno i have aload of ips(3),a primary and pref dns server,default gateway and aload of that wrote down..Was goin grand until it told me to get my dns servers through the eircom page and just all got confusing for me im afraid:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

All I do remember doing was writing down every setting as I went so I could retrace my steps if things screwed up. I know thats no help but its all I can think of. It took me three months to finally a) work the courage up to try it and b) actually do it. Sounds like a teenager asking a girl out:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

If i rang eircom would they talk me threw it or would they frown on me askin to set up a port for a torrent host?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If i rang eircom would they talk me threw it or would they frown on me askin to set up a port for a torrent host?
    wardides, I have a steb-by-step guide to setting up port forwarding on eircom posted on this thread already here.
    It works for me and may work for you too :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It depends on who you get on the phone to be honest. One guy helped me with it but told me he thought he probably shouldn't.

There are instructions here on setting up a static IP : http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

It's not too hard if you follow them closely.

The place I initially got confused at was the DNS part too.
    To get around it I just switched to Open Dns and put in :

Preferred DNS:208.67.222.222
    Alternate DNS:208.67.220.220

It worked fine and should also work for you.

EDIT: Deep Blues guide above is excellent.I tried to link to it but couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

To be honest, I set up the static ip alright (I'm on a upc netgear router) but I haven't the faintest how I did it. Dumb luck, literally. Hopefully someone else here can help.

the easiest way to set up a static IP is to just use the same details your router has given you for a dynamic one. :)

seriously, it's as simple as that.

go to "start > run" and type "cmd" (without quotes) and in the dos window that opens up type "ipconfig/all" (again without quotes) and look for your active network connection.

now, you may have more than one network card in your PC (wired and wireless, or other connections like bluetooth) but the one you want it the one that is currently active. chances are it will start with an IP address of 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx with the x's being different for each device connected to your router/modem.

the important bits of information are your IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and dns servers. the default gateway will be the IP address of your router/modem (as well as possibly your dns server(s) since your PC will usually get it's dns info from it, unless you have them manually set on the PC to opendns or similar).

all you need to do in your network properties (under tcp/ip settings) is to change from dhcp assigned to manually assigned info and copy it over as it is listed in your ipconfig/all already and you're done.

in the event anything does go wrong, just change everything back to dhcp assigned and you should be grand (possibly needing a reboot if it doesn't take right away, but it shouldn't be necessary normally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭col123

does isp throttling cause the azureus 'firewalled' icon to go red ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Number of posts delated and people infracted for acting foolish.

Lads this thread is for P2P discussion, it is not however for asking for or giving out invites for warez sites!

The next person to ask gets banned for a month

Cabaal,

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Hi guys,

I've seen alot of post about people trying to port forward on eircom, I was going to ask is it still possible to download via eircom after that court case etc but obv you guys are still going.. Im on upc at the moment which is ok for actual downloading but is rubbish for plain old surfing, Is there anything i should consider before a move to eircom, i DL evry film + TV show i watch and i would hate to switch and get cut off from the torrent world;)

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Hi guys,

I've seen alot of post about people trying to port forward on eircom, I was going to ask is it still possible to download via eircom after that court case etc but obv you guys are still going.. Im on upc at the moment which is ok for actual downloading but is rubbish for plain old surfing, Is there anything i should consider before a move to eircom, i DL evry film + TV show i watch and i would hate to switch and get cut off from the torrent world;)

Cheers

Why on earth would you switch back to eircom?

On a related note what upc package are you on? How can Internet browsing be crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you switch back to eircom?

On a related note what upc package are you on? How can Internet browsing be crap?

Hi, Im on the 20 meg ( not sure if they upgraded me yet to the 30 ). Check out my post called "upc browsing issue" I see the error on those screenshots over 50% of the time.. its very annoyin.

Im just seeing what alternatives i have at the moment any way..

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

DeepBlue wrote: »
    wardides, I have a steb-by-step guide to setting up port forwarding on eircom posted on this thread already here.
    It works for me and may work for you too :).

That looks great, is there a similar guide anywhere for UPC? I'm on home bb 15MB and I rang them and asked how to set it up and they told me I'd have to sign up for Business BB for static ip.

Would be great to get it set up as at have about 7 devices on the network!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Anyone got TVersity or PS3Media server working properly with NTL 10MB home broadband and a PS3\Laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Dublin579 wrote: »
    That looks great, is there a similar guide anywhere for UPC? I'm on home bb 15MB and I rang them and asked how to set it up and they told me I'd have to sign up for Business BB for static ip.

Would be great to get it set up as at have about 7 devices on the network!

Look up www.portforward.com and search for the brand of modem you use.There will be full instructions there on how to set up a static IP address and on how to forward your port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

I have three questions related to downloading torrents:

1) How come if i am downloading a torrent that is 100MB, the data downloaded by the time the torrented is finished is invariably considerably more than 100 MB?

2) Where does this 'phantom data' go to and how do i free this space back up?

3) Torrents I download regularly stall at 99.8%. Data is still being downloaded but the download of the torrent does not complete. I have to delete the task but not the data downloaded and reload the torrent, BitComet then performs a 'Hash Check???" and sometimes this works, but less so recently. Whats te problem?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

gnolan wrote: »
    I have three questions related to downloading torrents:

1) How come if i am downloading a torrent that is 100MB, the data downloaded by the time the torrented is finished is invariably considerably more than 100 MB?

2) Where does this 'phantom data' go to and how do i free this space back up?

3) Torrents I download regularly stall at 99.8%. Data is still being downloaded but the download of the torrent does not complete. I have to delete the task but not the data downloaded and reload the torrent, BitComet then performs a 'Hash Check???" and sometimes this works, but less so recently. Whats te problem?

Thanks
    1) there shouldn't be more than 100mb downloaded, unless there is hash fails, and even then, very little waste, and the data should automatically deleted. you're not confusing uploading with downloading are you?

2) answered

3) you're downloading bad quality torrents/ poorly seeded torrents. a quick way to tell if a torrent wont finish DLing, is to check your "peers", and see if any of them have 100% of the torrent.

this would be much easier and better to explain if you used a better p2p program.

i recommend uTorrent, very small program and works a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    1) there shouldn't be more than 100mb downloaded, unless there is hash fails, and even then, very little waste, and the data should automatically deleted. you're not confusing uploading with downloading are you?

2) answered

3) you're downloading bad quality torrents/ poorly seeded torrents. a quick way to tell if a torrent wont finish DLing, is to check your "peers", and see if any of them have 100% of the torrent.

this would be much easier and better to explain if you used a better p2p program.

i recommend uTorrent, very small program and works a dream.

Thanks for the reply. As regards point 1), i'm not confusing downloading with uploading. For example, a torrent i'm downloading at the moment is stalled on 99.4%, the torrent size is 60.56 MB, and under the statistics tab the 'Total Downloaded' reads 87MB and couting.

On point 3), looking at the peers it seems that many of them have 100% of he torrent downloaded. I would take your point on BitComet, bit of sh!theap alright. Will DL uTorrent and maybe give the torrent a blast on that. Thanks again

EDIT: I'm trying to forward ports for utorrent. I'd like to know will setting up a static IP address affect any other systems using my wireless router. I believe the router is set for dynamic ip at the moment.

Do you mean changing your internet connection type on your router config page to static? If so, everything should be fine if you have all the correct ISP settings at hand.

If however you mean setting up a specific IP address on your computer that is running uTorrent, then I would recommend this. Simply because in order to forward ports on a router you often have to select the IP address to which these ports are related to. If you need help on this I can assist.

On the torrent you are complaining that is almost complete but not downloading anymore, this is most likely the torrent that is the problem and not your connection.

gnolan wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. As regards point 1), i'm not confusing downloading with uploading. For example, a torrent i'm downloading at the moment is stalled on 99.4%, the torrent size is 60.56 MB, and under the statistics tab the 'Total Downloaded' reads 87MB and couting.

You could also have a problem with the clusters on your disk drive - more common if you are downloading to an external usb drive.

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »
    You could also have a problem with the clusters on your disk drive - more common if you are downloading to an external usb drive.

I would say this is quite unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone with NTL/UPC notice that they seem to be traffic shaping again. It has been fine for me for the last 4 months and just this week the torrent downloads have gone very slow. plus a fair amount of packet lose on the lines yesterday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

OK so i have a 20meg connection and almost always get the full 20meg. Thats not the issue.

If i set a torrent downloading basically my browsing speed is crippled.
    Might take 10 seconds to load google.com

If i look at the torrent and its taking up 100% of my bandwidth which it does regularly ill set it to 50% which should give me 10meg connection for browsing but still very slow.

Ive patched my tcpip.sys file to allow more than 8 half open connections at a time but still no change.
    Ive reduced utorrents half open connections from 8 to 5 but still no joy.

Here is a example of my pings
    [html]
    Pinging google.com [66.102.9.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=105ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=150ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=119ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=135ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=125ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=57
    Request timed out. (ya timed out!!!)
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=190ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=132ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=104ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=130ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57(after stopping torrent)
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=57
    Reply from 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57[/html]

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You need to restrict upload and download for the torrent not to affect your browsing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Cabaal wrote: »
    You need to restrict upload and download for the torrent not to affect your browsing

As said i have my download set to 50% of my total bandwidth and upload is not an issue. I have 2meg upload and there is rarely more than a few KB a second of data uploading.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I upgraded to Imagine Wimax on friday and now utorrent is not working now at all.

Can anyone help with this matter?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Hi,

Was having issues for last few days with Vuze, Dl speed suddenly dropped, didnt change anything but most i've been able to hit is 30k/bs and its been struggling to find seeds.

Anyway, I downloaded Utorrent and that seems to be working fine, so is there a way to move the torrents that are half downloaded from vuze to utorrent???

liger wrote: »
    so is there a way to move the torrents that are half downloaded from vuze to utorrent???
    Yes.
    Make sure your "download directory" for utorrent is the same as the directory you used for vuze.
    Then you do the following:
    • open the .torrent file in utorrent
    • Stop the torrent
    • do a force re-check (which should confirm that x% of the torrent is already complete)
    • then start the torrent which should resume with x% already downloaded

I've never had a problem using the above method to move torrents from one client to another. If you want to be really cautious though you could save a copy of your partially downloaded torrent somewhere first just in case the recheck overwrites your partially downloaded torrent and leaves you back at 0%.
    Also it might not even be necessary to stop and manually do the recheck when you start the .torrent in utorrent as it will probably do it automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Thanks DeepBlue, Worked a treat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

just posting a little handy utility for batch unwrapping of those pesky scene releases

http://www.codebyte.org/scru.php

just thought someone might be interested :cool:

Advertisement