Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

HI All,

Have a new Globesurfer Option Wireless III on O2 and loving it.

However I've noticed my bittorrents are CRAWLING along. Bit of research points to the new router and its settings. However thats where it ends. Given its a new product, there aint much info about and im no port genius.

Anyone have any pointers or know how to set this up? Apparently its not allowing some info back to my PC which shows im uploading and allowing uploads and its not then letting me download much or fast. Boo.

Thanks guys n gals.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Antoh

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    I upgraded to Imagine Wimax on friday and now utorrent is not working now at all.

Can anyone help with this matter?

Thanks

In regards to this problem, I had a similar problem. make sure ur using uTorrent 2. Watch this and follow instructions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfF7KN_pvmc

Worked great for me. I'm getting DL speeds of 900+Kbs. Just make sure you have the ports set in your firewall. if this doesnt work you might need to call their customer care and ask them to set up the port on your antenna. use the port number in the video. I got the DMZ set on mine but you need to make sure your pc is using the same ip as the one set in the antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Hi All
    I have a head wreaking problem,
    Firstly I have Irishbroadband which is excellent for what I use it for,
    Secondly my family persuaded me to get a bundle offer so I signed up to Digiweb,
    I want to open the ports in the zyxtel hw t1 v2 router that Digiweb sold me, so I can use bitcomet, and also xbox, Digiweb support will not help me, all I got was, here's a web site portforwarding.com
    I did as port forwarding suggested, got configured successfull message, turn off and on the router and everything seems fine until I open bitcomet, ports blocked,
    If I do a port checker test it says ports are blocked, i've been on 192.168.1.1 for 3 days now and am starting to lose it, I'm even thinking of giving up and just using irish broadband for what I want and paying for the 2 isp's so the rest of the family can talk and use laptops etc at the same time,
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    regards D

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭iknorr

Hi All
    I have a head wreaking problem,
    Firstly I have Irishbroadband which is excellent for what I use it for,
    Secondly my family persuaded me to get a bundle offer so I signed up to Digiweb,
    I want to open the ports in the zyxtel hw t1 v2 router that Digiweb sold me, so I can use bitcomet, and also xbox, Digiweb support will not help me, all I got was, here's a web site portforwarding.com
    I did as port forwarding suggested, got configured successfull message, turn off and on the router and everything seems fine until I open bitcomet, ports blocked,
    If I do a port checker test it says ports are blocked, i've been on 192.168.1.1 for 3 days now and am starting to lose it, I'm even thinking of giving up and just using irish broadband for what I want and paying for the 2 isp's so the rest of the family can talk and use laptops etc at the same time,
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    regards D

are you sure its a zyxtel hw t1 v2, i have a v3 and the ports close after a few minutes. Zyxel have unofficially confirmed this problem. They have a new firmware in beta testing at the mo. i have used it, portforwarding now works fine but upnp doesnt work still.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Hi thanks for the reply
    It say v2 you say you updated your firmware where from ?
    regards D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RatherDubious

Hey folks.

I know its never good to start posting anywhere with a begging-ass plea, but that is what I am being forced to do. My apologies in advance.

I'm trying to setup uTorrent on my pc. I have little to no clue what I'm doing, being honest, and after trawling through several dozen webpages and online guides I have gained nothing but mild eye-ache and some severe confusion.

So far, I have uTorrent installed (and nothing else), configured to London UK and discovered that I have no upload capability.

I am running Windows XP Xenium Black.

I am using a Cisco EPC2425 router, supplied by UPC, but do not have any tools for accessing it, or at least any that I can find.

If somebody would be so good as to let me know how to proceed, with the minimum of jargon, TLAs and "everyone knows what that means"-type shorthand, I would be greatly obliged. Please include any other software I may need to get up and running. Even a link to a suitable, easy-to-understand-for-a-technological-illiterate online guide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭iknorr

Hi thanks for the reply
    It say v2 you say you updated your firmware where from ?
    regards D
    Its not available to the general public yet. i dont think it will work with ur modem but u can try. PM me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I am running Windows XP Xenium Black.

??? There's no such thing. There's Windows XP Home or Professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

??? There's no such thing. There's Windows XP Home or Professional.
    Could be a soft modded version.. I used to run some hacked windows. Take it to be XP pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Bit Torrent!
    Anyone having issues with bit'torrent? im getting error's everytime i use it. cant completely download anything at all. currently have broadband with NTL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

I use uTorrent with NTL BB and all downloads work perfectly. I do notice they throttle it pretty much all the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Bit Torrent!
    Anyone having issues with bit'torrent? im getting error's everytime i use it. cant completely download anything at all. currently have broadband with NTL.
    using uTorrent 2.0 with NTL, no problems for me. downloaded a 3.5gb file yesterday at a steady 760-800kbps, (im on the 10mb package) and it wasnt even well seeded. upload is throttled though.

anyway, try using uTorrent (2.0!) on the same torrent and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Dublinarea

I just got UPC last week and previously was using eircom trouble free however the line was only a 3Mb connection.
    Since ive started i have been unable to browse when using utorrent.Been playing around today and it seems to be working however it still needs a little more work until im fully happy(getting it to work with router firewall).

I'm using windows 7
    • First i opened the required port i specified in Utorrent in windows firewall. Windows firewall already had the Utorrent rule there but it allowed every port. I changed it to only only the specific port i use ,follow link if your unsure
    http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/open-a-port-in-windows-7s-firewall/

• I turned off DHCP and set up a static IP and tried to forward the port however nothing worked. Each time i tested if the port was open in Utorrent it would say it was closed. Even with DHCP enabled this occurred.
    • I NOW TURNED OFF THE CISCO FIREWALL AND HEY PRESTO I CAN USE UTORRENT AND BROWSE NO PROBLEM AT ALL.
    Having read a few post on the Cisco router it appears to be a pile of ****e. Ideally having a hardware and a software firewall is the way to go. Make sure you have windows patched up to date and have a good AV and you should be grand.If you are not keen on leaving the router firewall off then just turn the firewall on when you are not using Utorrent.

UPDATE:I have managed to get Utorrent working with the firewall turned on in the router. I unchecked the IP FLOOD PROTECTION and i can surf and use Utorrent. I rechecked it and bam the ability to surf is gone. Hopefully this works for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Dublinarea wrote: »
    I just got UPC last week and previously was using eircom trouble free however the line was only a 3Mb connection.
    Since ive started i have been unable to browse when using utorrent.Been playing around today and it seems to be working however it still needs a little more work until im fully happy(getting it to work with router firewall).

I'm using windows 7
    • First i opened the required port i specified in Utorrent in windows firewall. Windows firewall already had the Utorrent rule there but it allowed every port. I changed it to only only the specific port i use ,follow link if your unsure
    http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/open-a-port-in-windows-7s-firewall/

• I turned off DHCP and set up a static IP and tried to forward the port however nothing worked. Each time i tested if the port was open in Utorrent it would say it was closed. Even with DHCP enabled this occurred.
    • I NOW TURNED OFF THE CISCO FIREWALL AND HEY PRESTO I CAN USE UTORRENT AND BROWSE NO PROBLEM AT ALL.
    Having read a few post on the Cisco router it appears to be a pile of ****e. Ideally having a hardware and a software firewall is the way to go. Make sure you have windows patched up to date and have a good AV and you should be grand.If you are not keen on leaving the router firewall off then just turn the firewall on when you are not using Utorrent.

UPDATE:I have managed to get Utorrent working with the firewall turned on in the router. I unchecked the IP FLOOD PROTECTION and i can surf and use Utorrent. I rechecked it and bam the ability to surf is gone. Hopefully this works for everyone else.

Cheers for that.

The bit in bold seems to be working for me.

Makes sense I suppose. Utorrent would be flooding a lot of IP's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

Dublinarea wrote: »
    unchecked the IP FLOOD PROTECTION

cheers for this, been looking at this problem for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Dublinarea

Your welcome mate, glad i could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Hi All,

I am an AirWire user and I was wondering is anyone using this ISP is using P2P torrents sucessfully?

If so could you reccommend a good set-up and which software works well;

Best Regards;

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just thought I'd mention a handy feature in the just released new version of utorrent called the "transfer cap" that allows you to cut off downloads when you reach a specified limit.

rather than me copy/paste a bunch of info and pass it off as my own, have a ready about it HERE for more info.

you can set it to monitor your p2p usage over the course of the month (uploads, downloads or both) and set a hard limit at which it will cut off your transfers in utorrent.

I'd say for heavy footed UPC users with the 250gb FUP limit, set it to 200gb up+down and leave the rest for your regular browsing and youtubing etc. and see how you go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BryanboyT

Has anyone else on UPC noticed a stopstart service from upc while using a torrent client or any type of peer to peer application. At first I didn't put the two together but through a fluke I found that if you have a peer to peer app running, whether uploading or downloading, it nearly completely stopps any other traffic. ie. if your running torrent2, bittorrent etc, you can no longer browse, recieve emails, use skype or basically anything else.

I called their helpdesk, waited the usual lifetime to speak with somebody who could of course, do nothing for me. Provided me a premium rate number which I refuse to call. The issue is not with my setup. I have in total 3 computers. 2 running XP and one macbook pro. All refuse to allow me on to websites if I have any sort of peer to peer download/upload running. Is this just my a fault on my cablemodem which the tech support refuse to replace or has anybody else noticed the same or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

what program are you using? Most have a setting for the amount of available bandwidth they use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BryanboyT

On my own laptop Im using bittorrent. My flatmate also running XP uses urottent. The Macbook is using a program called transmission. Each one shows the same. Browsing runs fine, no hassle at all. Start a download or upload in any one of these programs and suddenly I can no longer browse the web or do anything else requiring connectivity. On any of the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Have you changed the settings on these? You need to configure the upload and download speeds on each program and the amount of bandwidth to be used. Keeping them at the defaults normally have them using as much bandwidth as they can, and can cause problems for other net activity.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Torrent programs are very aggressive at maxing your line out. You might just be running out of your contended throughput. If you have several downloads, and much much worse, any uploads going you can easily kill web browsing. Try throttling their up and down settings in the clients...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

yeah check that you're not blocking your upload by allowing unlimited amount of torrent people to download from you

your web browser can't ask for webpages if you've clogged the line with your torrent uploads.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

That's been happening to me recently, now I just turn off Utorrent before I go onto firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

BryanboyT wrote: »
    Has anyone else on UPC noticed a stopstart service from upc while using a torrent client or any type of peer to peer application. At first I didn't put the two together but through a fluke I found that if you have a peer to peer app running, whether uploading or downloading, it nearly completely stopps any other traffic. ie. if your running torrent2, bittorrent etc, you can no longer browse, recieve emails, use skype or basically anything else.

I called their helpdesk, waited the usual lifetime to speak with somebody who could of course, do nothing for me. Provided me a premium rate number which I refuse to call. The issue is not with my setup. I have in total 3 computers. 2 running XP and one macbook pro. All refuse to allow me on to websites if I have any sort of peer to peer download/upload running. Is this just my a fault on my cablemodem which the tech support refuse to replace or has anybody else noticed the same or similar?

Turn off the Firewall on the Cisco Modem.
    It will solve this.
    To test. try www.pingtest.net before and after. You should notice your packet loss go from like 60-80% to 0% (when the Firewall is off).
    I had the problem when I had P2P client open and tried surfing, couldn't get anything. Turned the Firewall off, and Presto, perfect (as can be expected!)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Turn off the Firewall on the Cisco Modem.
    It will solve this.
    To test. try www.pingtest.net before and after. You should notice your packet loss go from like 60-80% to 0% (when the Firewall is off).
    I had the problem when I had P2P client open and tried surfing, couldn't get anything. Turned the Firewall off, and Presto, perfect (as can be expected!)

Did you turn off the firewall on the Cicso Modem?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I'm having some trouble. My Torrents are downloading fine, but my internet browsing speeds go to nothing sometimes, I get a lot of "Resolving Host" on Chrome or just page not displayed etc

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Presumably you've already throttled the upload speed on your torrent client to about 80% of your max upload speed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Does anyone reccommend using a program such as Peer Guardian to block IPs that are tracking file sharing? I just heard about it and I was wondering are programs like this worth using?

Advertisement