Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys I'm having some trouble. My Torrents are downloading fine, but my internet browsing speeds go to nothing sometimes, I get a lot of "Resolving Host" on Chrome or just page not displayed etc

Any idea what I can do to fix this?
    What is your ISP (and package) and modem/router?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    What is your ISP (and package) and modem/router?

NTL 15gb with the Cisco EPC2425.

For example I came in this morning and some torrents were downloading. I opened Chrome but no page would load. I paused all torrents, then closed uTorrent. I then Closed Chrome and then repaired my connection. I opened chrome and now it works fine.

Why would this be? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

NTL 15gb with the Cisco EPC2425.

For example I came in this morning and some torrents were downloading. I opened Chrome but no page would load. I paused all torrents, then closed uTorrent. I then Closed Chrome and then repaired my connection. I opened chrome and now it works fine.

Why would this be? Any ideas?
    your problem is the EPC2425 tbh.

i started a thread on it months ago and it keeps growing..

without physically replacing it, which is what i did, the best thing to do is go into the advanced settings of the router and disable "IP flood protection"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

without physically replacing it, which is what i did, the best thing to do is go into the advanced settings of the router and disable "IP flood protection"
    What's the address to log in to the router?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

seanbmc wrote: »
    Does anyone reccommend using a program such as Peer Guardian to block IPs that are tracking file sharing? I just heard about it and I was wondering are programs like this worth using?

No, it's a waste of time.

jor el wrote: »
    No, it's a waste of time.
    Why So?

I've read plenty to the contrary, they may not be 100% perfect but its better than nothing: http://torrentfreak.com/do-p2p-blocklists-keep-you-safe/

Tea_Bag, your a legend.....the difference in speed and more to the point, consistency / ability to do more than one thing is PHENOMENAL.

UPC (and presumably other ISPs) would save a lot of tech support time any have so many more happy customers if they kept this as standard, its taken me ages to figure this out (with your help of course)!

Guys where exactly is this setting? I can find one called "IP Flood Detection" is this the same?

What's the address to log in to the router?

Thanks
    Anyone?

• Advertisement

Guys where exactly is this setting? I can find one called "IP Flood Detection" is this the same?

Thats the one

Try disabling the firewall also, made even more of an improvement (just be sure to enable the firewall on your machine.

Anyone?

http://192.168.100.1/
    then the user is " admin "
    Password is " W2402 "

http://192.168.100.1/
    then the user is " admin "
    Password is " W2402 "
    Nice one thanks.

I just disabled the IP Flood Detection and can now browse with my torrent client open! Sweet!! :D

Woah! My d/l speed just went way up! Probably just a coincidence?

What will happen if I disable the firewall protection? Isn't that something that's kinda necessary?

Nice one thanks.

I just disabled the IP Flood Detection and can now browse with my torrent client open! Sweet!! :D

Woah! My d/l speed just went way up! Probably just a coincidence?

What will happen if I disable the firewall protection? Isn't that something that's kinda necessary?

Yep, mine went way, way up...150k down on torrents (which I've capped at) its brilliant.

Once you have firewall protection enabled on your PC/MAC, you'll be grand.

I'm getting 700k at the minute :D

he he he....its brilliant.....downloading from 50 peers on one movie, have never seen it go over 10 / 12.

Its the small things in life that make me happy ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lee1234

Thanks a mill that username and password had me stumped tried so many combinations felt like the davinci code. cheers spyguy and eff u upc. torrents will live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Anyone notice an improvement in torrent speeds since upgrading to utorrent 2.0 using a UPC connection with a SA EPC2203 modem ?

Mine were egtting on for 200kB/s a little while ago, I doubt if I've got better than 30 before I got utorrent 2.0

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Just enabled bittorrent protocol encryption for rtorrent over my UPC connection. Difference is unbelievable.

can you please explain how to do this?? tx

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

For rtorrent?

Drop
    encryption=allow_incoming,try_outgoing,enable_retry

into .rtorrent.rc your home directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Anyone notice an improvement in torrent speeds since upgrading to utorrent 2.0 using a UPC connection with a SA EPC2203 modem ?

Mine were egtting on for 200kB/s a little while ago, I doubt if I've got better than 30 before I got utorrent 2.0

I'm using Eircom but have found that the latest version of utorrent has improved my speeds unbelievably. I was doing well if I got an occasional spike to 500kB/s and it mostly chugged along in the 100 to the 200 range. Everything I've downlaided since I upgraded to the lastedt version has maintained a steady speed of around 700kBs!I had never even seen 700 up until now!:)

Happy Days:)
    i'm using the version released after the 2.0 release btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Hey guys, Just a quick question.

Got myself onto the UPC broadband recently and am looking to port forward. Any Idea as to the easiest way to do it? I did it on my old router years ago but I cant remember how to do it.
    Using utorrent on a Cisco
    EPC2425 router. Any tips, websites, help.
    Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There's a pdf manual
    here

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Yesterday I was getting download speeds in the 200ks and 300ks, but I messed up my connection and had to ring eircom today to get it redone. I deleted the previous eircom from my list of wirelesses. Then it found another and I was good to go again. The utorrenting speeds are now not over 30 and non existent at all for many. Just can't seem to pick up seeds. I've tried port forwarding but it hasn't made a difference. What could have changed between yesterday and today? How can I change it back?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anybody know how to change the IP flood detection on a ZyXel P-660HW-T1 v3? i'm having similar trouble with browsing on my desktop when vuze is open... even though it works fine on my laptop (both using same router!)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

has anyone noticed the sudden drop in upc upload?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055803695

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Is UPC blocking thepiratebay for anyone? I can only seem to connect to it if I encrypt my connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I just got wimax installed and i put on my torrnet program and there doesnt seem to be much happening.

Can anyone advise? Is there something i can do to get the speeds working right?

Im on 7 Meg speed.

seeds:leechers is normal.

speeds, 0.1 - 10.

• Advertisement

AFAIK Imagine throttle torrents.

Advertisement