Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

dlofnep wrote: »
    Is UPC blocking thepiratebay for anyone? I can only seem to connect to it if I encrypt my connection.

Fine for me.. maybe your firewall or AntiVirus is blocking it?
    Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I just got wimax installed and i put on my torrnet program and there doesnt seem to be much happening.

Can anyone advise? Is there something i can do to get the speeds working right?

Im on 7 Meg speed.

seeds:leechers is normal.

speeds, 0.1 - 10.
    Is it a popular torrent? A few pages back, I think its vibe666 who lists some tester legal torrents, I'm using mobile now so can't check.. try that and see ur speeds..

Also, what torrent program are you using?
    Download utorrent, update it, and test again.
    Check that your ports are open, and firewall AntiVirus is allowing connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

If you possibly ever wanted to download a torrent on Eircom, what would the best option to hide my IP adrress be for FREE, this is hypothetically of course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you possibly ever wanted to download a torrent on Eircom, what would the best option to hide my IP adrress be for FREE, this is hypothetically of course.
    Not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Jonathan wrote: »
    Not possible.

It is possible, there are loads of bits of software to do it for you, google hide my ip. means your real ip will not be available to other users on torrents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    It is possible, there are loads of bits of software to do it for you, google hide my ip. means your real ip will not be available to other users on torrents etc.
    I think he means hidden from his isp, which is impossible..

To hide your ip from everyone else, try Hotspot shield, I used to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you hide your real IP, how do you expect to download anything? Your peers need a real IP address to send the torrent data to.
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I think he means hidden from his isp, which is impossible..

To hide your ip from everyone else, try Hotspot shield, I used to use it.
    To hide your IP from your ISP is impossible. They assign you the IP.

You can however create an encrypted link (VPN, SSH and the like) to an intermediary server and tunnel all your torrent traffic to that server. The IP of that server would then appear in the torrent swarm. Your ISP cannot detect what you are transmitting across their network other than transferring lots of encrypted data from your sever to your computer.

Of course these severs are not free, and so no, it isn't possible to hide your IP on torrents for free.

Jonathan wrote: »
    If you hide your real IP, how do you expect to download anything? Your peers need a real IP address to send the torrent data to.

To hide your IP from your ISP is impossible. They assign you the IP.

You can however create an encrypted link (VPN, SSH and the like) to an intermediary server and tunnel all your torrent traffic to that server. The IP of that server would then appear in the torrent swarm. Your ISP cannot detect what you are transmitting across their network other than transferring lots of encrypted data from your sever to your computer.

Of course these severs are not free, and so no, it isn't possible to hide your IP on torrents for free.
    Most of the pieces of software create fake ips for you and your apps runs as normal as the software runs in the background

In the unlikely event of anyone knowing a free VPN or other software option then that'd be fantasic!

Also how will Eircom be monitoring our torrent use, if you were to use a torrent that is?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Most of the pieces of software create fake ips for you and your apps runs as normal as the software runs in the background

1) You cannot use these "Hide my IP" services with torrents.

2) They don't create fake IP addresses, they are real IP addresses, and what you're downloading is simply relayed. I hand bob a message, I tell him to hand it to Anna. Anna never see's me, I never see Anna, yes through some magic the message goes from A, to B to C. I'm afraid you don't really know what you're talking about.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    1) You cannot use these "Hide my IP" services with torrents.

2) They don't create fake IP addresses, they are real IP addresses, and what you're downloading is simply relayed. I hand bob a message, I tell him to hand it to Anna. Anna never see's me, I never see Anna, yes through some magic the message goes from A, to B to C. I'm afraid you don't really know what you're talking about.

I suggest using a search engine and the terms "hide my ip downloading torrents" and then get back to me

Sigh.

Ok,

"hide my ip downloading torrents" returned no results

Without quotes we get

This
    talking about obfuscation. It doesn't hide you IP address, or fake it.

Most of the other links talk about using proxy servers for anonymous surfing. Do you understand what a proxy is. In the scenario I described earlier, bob is my proxy. Programs such as "Fake my ip" simply interface with proxy services. You seem rather confused.

Since you're so adamant that it is possible to hide ones IP address without using a proxy, please detail the programs and services you use.

Sigh.

Ok,

"hide my ip downloading torrents" returned no results

Without quotes we get

This
    talking about obfuscation. It doesn't hide you IP address, or fake it.

Most of the other links talk about using proxy servers for anonymous surfing. Do you understand what a proxy is. In the scenario I described earlier, bob is my proxy. Programs such as "Fake my ip" simply interface with proxy services. You seem rather confused.

Since you're so adamant that it is possible to hide ones IP address without using a proxy, please detail the programs and services you use.

Yes I do understand what a proxy server is and how they run and are maintained as matter of fact. Also I did not say without using a proxy, most of the applications do use proxies and what this means regarding the topic of this thread, where the music companies will give Eircom an IP address for downloading illegal content, is that the IP address they will have is not yours!

Yes I do understand what a proxy server is and how they run and are maintained as matter of fact. Also I did not say without using a proxy, most of the applications do use proxies and what this means regarding the topic of this thread, where the music companies will give Eircom an IP address for downloading illegal content, is that the IP address they will have is not yours!

You have failed to provide details of what application you use to "fake" your IP address. You disagree with multiple people who've told you that there is no fake address, just proxy. When I explained to you how the system worked, you made a condescending reply and advised me to search again. When you say "most" instead of "all" you betray your own ignorance. Your inability to provide detailed examples to support you claims demonstrates the falseness of your proposition.

Also I did not say without using a proxy, most of the applications do use proxies and what this means regarding the topic of this thread, where the music companies will give Eircom an IP address for downloading illegal content, is that the IP address they will have is not yours!
    Why would music companies give an IP of a proxy server to Eircom?

You have failed to provide details of what application you use to "fake" your IP address. You disagree with multiple people who've told you that there is no fake address, just proxy. When I explained to you how the system worked, you made a condescending reply and advised me to search again. When you say "most" instead of "all" you betray your own ignorance. Your inability to provide detailed examples to support you claims demonstrates the falseness of your proposition.

Ah well then since I "obviously do not know what I am talking about" and have "demonstrated the falseness of my proposition", not much point.
    Especially if you are too lazy to have either studied the area or to do some basic research.
    I said most, as most do use proxies, others use vpn, so in plain English for you, most means a majority of, not all.

I will just leave it at this, they do work and in the case of the Eircom will stop the music industry having access to your IP. If you don't believe me fine.

Here's a couple of sites to get you going.....

https://torrentprivacy.com/
    http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

First link is exactly the scenario Myself and Jonathan described. It represents bob in the above scenario.

Second link is to peer guardian. This program does not hide your IP address, it filters connections to use based on a blacklist of IP addresses.

You used neither service to hide your IP address while torrenting. I've asked your several times to link to the applications you use. Put your money where your mouth is.

Ah well then since I "obviously do not know what I am talking about" and have "demonstrated the falseness of my proposition", not much point.
    Especially if you are too lazy to have either studied the area or to do some basic research.
    I said most, as most do use proxies, others use vpn, so in plain English for you, most means a majority of, not all.

I will just leave it at this, they do work and in the case of the Eircom will stop the music industry having access to your IP. If you don't believe me fine.

Here's a couple of sites to get you going.....

https://torrentprivacy.com/
    http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

There's also http://www.peerblock.com/

I'm just curious though will PeerGuardian and what not, work to stop Eircom?

Again, that application will not hide your IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

AFAIK Imagine throttle torrents.

Is there any way around this? and would it have an effect on browser performance? I've had the same problem as the previous poster but I'm also getting pages not loading fully and sometimes not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Imagine are not made for downloading, they are purely for browsing, cancle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Imagine are not made for downloading, they are purely for browsing, cancle it.

I'm only two months in, can you do that? If so where should I go?

UPC aren't available here, when are Eircom's improved speeds coming?

Cancle due to technical fault. I'm with eircom, they aren't as bad as they used to be.

Think this is what yous are looking for http://btguard.com/

It does cost $6.95 a month but it does actually make your torrent transfers anonymous.

But it still think yous should grow up and dump torrents, Newsgroups + SSL FTW.

cisk wrote: »
    But it still think yous should grow up and dump torrents, Newsgroups + SSL FTW.

Never heard of that. Fill me in on the info?

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

You would pay about €7 for a pay news server, that gets you full speed downloads, encrypted tunnel, your only Downloading and not uploading like with torrents which if you get caught will land you in more serious trouble as your also distributing.

Never looked back when i got on board 2 years ago. Truly the internets best kept secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Think this is what yous are looking for http://btguard.com/

It does cost $6.95 a month but it does actually make your torrent transfers anonymous.

Have you or anyone else used this ?
    It seems to be based in the US and Canada and there are mixed reviews online.

Would using a seedbox to download torrents not stop your IP being detected when downloading from them? Can you transfer files from them via ftp or something like that?Or am I missing something ?

Newsgroups are great but unless you use NZB files it really isn't as easy or idiot proof as using torrents. I couldn't find as much of what I wanted to download with them either.That might be just me though. I don't claim to be much of a "techie" type.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

You would pay about €7 for a pay news server, that gets you full speed downloads, encrypted tunnel, your only Downloading and not uploading like with torrents which if you get caught will land you in more serious trouble as your also distributing.

Never looked back when i got on board 2 years ago. Truly the internets best kept secret.
    Cisk thanks for this, can you please elaborate? How does downloading from Newgroups differ from Torrents or Rapidshare? In terms of searching for files and knowing which ones are the right ones etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Zascar wrote: »
    Cisk thanks for this, can you please elaborate? How does downloading from Newgroups differ from Torrents or Rapidshare? In terms of searching for files and knowing which ones are the right ones etc?
    First, with newsgroups - odds are you'll be maxing out your connection. The fact that you won't be uploading means no worries about distribution charges and also wave byebye to worrying about maintaining a ratio. In terms of searching, sites like Newzbin (RIP ?), NZBmatrix.com, and binsearch.info provide handy search interfaces for finding what you want. Some require a fee ($10 for lifetime membership on Nzbmatrix) and some are free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There is not as wide a selection as you have with torrents however and there are less comments indicating whether what your downloading is the real deal or not. If you just want the latest films and popular tv shows it's fine though.

Sometimese news servers offer a two week free trial so it might be worth looking for an offer like that and giving it a go before you decide to buy.

Advertisement