Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

FloatingVoter pretty much nailed it. Whille there is more content on Bitorrent, the quality of material on newsgroups is normally far higher, with Scene groups doing the core uploading, who stick to very strict rules for each type of release. Iv never got anything bad in a download.

NZBmatrix is an excellent indexer, similar to TPB of the newsgroup world. Its pretty tricky to upload to newsgroups, but im able to source 99% of what i want from newsgroups, maybe using torrents once or twice a month for a more obscure item.

ALTbinz is a free newsreader which i would recommend, Im not gonna lie its a steeper learning curb that torrents, but its been well worth it for any1 i have shown.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sounds interesting. IN fairness I'm pretty happy with Torrents. I used to use rapidsahre but found it a paint in the ass with so many broken links, dealing with .rar files and passwords and stuff.

In terms of staying safe, I use www.peerblock.com and delete torrents as soon as they are finished anyway, is there anything else you can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Quick question-do eircom block access to the pirate bay? Is it safe to use p2p over eircom's network?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I've been using utorrent but was advised to switch to Vuse. I tried it but the download speeds were pretty slow, any time I tried it if I tried at the same time with utorrent it would speed way ahead of it in seconds.

Anyone else find this?

hello932 wrote: »
    Quick question-do eircom block access to the pirate bay? Is it safe to use p2p over eircom's network?

Was it something i said? why is no one replying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys I've been using utorrent but was advised to switch to Vuse. I tried it but the download speeds were pretty slow, any time I tried it if I tried at the same time with utorrent it would speed way ahead of it in seconds.

Anyone else find this?

Do you have a green smiley beside the torrent you're downloading ?

Click on "help" then "Nat/Firewall Test" to see if you're ports are blocked .

I was getting very slow downloads and yellow/red smileys with Vuze until I sorted out port forwarding and the router firewall.

Now , with the right torrent , I can max out my 7meg connection (eircom)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Was it something i said? why is no one replying?

Eircom block access to pirate bay.
    They do not block utorrent or any of the other thousands of torrent sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Anyone else find this?

tbh why change from uTorrent if it appears to be working perfectly? is there something wrong with it that you need help fixing?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Anyone else find this?
    Vuse is bloatware.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Eircom block access to pirate bay.
    They do not block utorrent or any of the other thousands of torrent sites.

im able to access the pirate bay via a proxy-is it ok to download then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Eircom can choose to make access to the site difficult. That is all. They cannot dictate what you do with your internet connection.

about as OK as it is to torrent on most ISP's.... perfectly harmless. I dont believe anyone has received a "3 strike letter" from Eircom yet..

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    about as OK as it is to torrent on most ISP's.... perfectly harmless. I dont believe anyone has received a "3 strike letter" from Eircom yet..

I though the 3 strikes rule was ruled out by the EU courts...or maybe i heard wrong.

Just in case i get one of those letters what VPN services are good? i have heard of Ipredator but im not really sure how it works...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

I'm getting seriously slow download speeds these days... Is it happening anyone else?
    I heard someone say that since the pirate bay is blocked on eircom, that it's affecting the trackers on the torrents, dat's not true is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

Does your share ration affect download speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

mwahahahah

downloading a single .mkv file at 10.8 MB/s

beat that... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Savage speed sebastianlieken.....how u managing that dude? Is it a high def movie?

Avatar 1080p would be down in a few hours at that feckin' speed!

Oh holy cow!!

sudzy wrote: »
    I heard someone say that since the pirate bay is blocked on eircom, that it's affecting the trackers on the torrents, dat's not true is it?

nope, Eircom isnt blocking trackers at all, just DNS access to TPB, once you tunnel past that stupid block, torrents should run 100% fine, as long as all your settings etc are good.
    sudzy wrote: »
    Does your share ration affect download speed?

No, not unless you're on a private tracker. (you probably arent if you're asking that question) private trackers ban you if your ratio gets below a predefined number, usually 1.05
    mwahahahah

downloading a single .mkv file at 10.8 MB/s

ISP etc? obviously not a home BB package. i really do hope you've covered up your tracks, because if when your IT dept at work finds out, thats fantastic grounds for dismissal.
    betafrog wrote: »
    I assume he is on some form of CAN... Hope your admin doesn't find out!

+1

actually, looking at your sig reminds me of the ole campus networks in UL *used to be* crackable to torrent on, anyone know if its still being done there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pablob

Heya lads,

I realise that my first post is a plea for help and that may not be taken well but believe me I've been addicted to reading boards for about a year (long time listener, first time caller etc etc) and this is the first time I've been inclined to post

So here it goes:

Using newish (free!!!) MacBook Pro (10.6.3)
    Moved up from Cork to Dublin for college.
    Upgraded to 15mb wireless UPC Broadband (actually getting 14.5:rolleyes:)
    Cisco 2425 router
    Torrents are slow (stuck on yellow on Vuze and uTorrent)
    When any torrent client is open internet is v. slow/doesn't function.

What I've tried:
    Un/reinstalling uTorrent/other clients (currently using vuze as I'm on a Mac and uTorrent is still in beta and hasn't a lot of options)
    Limiting upload and download speeds
    Limiting/unlimiting global connections

What I'd like to try but don't know where to start:
    Set up a static I.P (Don't know if this is necessary any help would be great)
    Port forwarding (can't find a site to help with this for my modem? Most sites seem to recommend getting a static I.P)

Potential problems?
    My UPC internet in cork is much slower (3mb i think with a Motorolla Modem) but I connected via ethernet, would this make a difference?

Any help/links would be great! I can try to give any more info that you may need if possible

go into your EPC2425 settings and disable a setting called "IP flood protection"

it'll make torrenting and surfing at the same time a lot better.

that Router is an absolute POS.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671340

Cheers Tea_Bag I'm looking for that "IP Flood Protection" option at the mo but can't find it. I'll do some searching through that thread and let you know how I get on though:cool:

Right I've found it! For all us noobs with the same problem (torrents kill internet on Cisco epc2425 basic wireless modem for UPC/Chorus)

Type:
    http://192.168.1.1/ into address bar (if asked for password just leave blank and check ok. This doesn't always work so just try it a few times/refresh page)

Go to Setup tab

Go to Firewall : click Options
    Uncheck IP Flood Detection.

Click back up. Go to advanced settings: click Options.
    Check "UPnP Enable"
    (don't know if this is necessary but it is working for me after I did both of them and if it ain't broke...)

Cheers to Tea_Bag and banana_plug as I'm now getting d/l speeds of at least 1mb on all of my 8 torrents:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

madmoe wrote: »
    Savage speed sebastianlieken.....how u managing that dude? Is it a high def movie?

I know, mad! :D high def movie ya (cant remember what tho)...
    Tea_Bag wrote: »

ISP etc? obviously not a home BB package. i really do hope you've covered up your tracks, because if when your IT dept at work finds out, thats fantastic grounds for dismissal.

+1

actually, looking at your sig reminds me of the ole campus networks in UL *used to be* crackable to torrent on, anyone know if its still being done there?

ISP is heanet.... in UL :P campus accomodation

oh, and im sure ITD already know... im sure there's a few mad spikes on their graphs, but ive been going strong for 4 years, and havnt had a word said to me yet. touch wood!

Help! I need to find a decent free proxy so i can shield myself from my ISP...

There is no such this as a decent free proxy, why would someone give away free bandwith. Pay a few quid and get a good vpn.

cisk wrote: »
    There is no such this as a decent free proxy, why would someone give away free bandwith. Pay a few quid and get a good vpn.

Can you recommend me one?

Also would a vpn mask my ip address from my computer's bittorrent client to the trackers id be connecting to?

Can you recommend me one?

Also would a vpn mask my ip address from my computer's bittorrent client to the trackers id be connecting to?

BUMP-am i being too anal here in asking for advice?

• Advertisement

http://member.vpnywhere.com/signup.php

You can sign up for a 14 day trial with that one, cheap too at about €45 a year.

Advertisement