Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to buy - Circa €28K

Options
  • 13-07-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I am currently looking to purchase a new car with a budget of circa 28K. It’s a straight purchase and I will also be able to avail of fleet discount.
    Fuel economy is not a concern as I have a fuel card

I cover aprox 55k km per year. I do not have a family nor do I have to carry stock so it opens up all possibilities. The one criteria is I must buy a new vehicle, what this means I must be the first person to be registered to the vehicle.

Currently I am driving a 07 Kia Sportage 2.0L Petrol 4X4 – Great space,Love the 4 wheel drive but it has no power what so ever

I just started looking on line today and here are some of the possibilities… Here are just a few that have caught my eye

Mini Cooper 1.6 Loaded with extras
    Skoda Octavia RS 2.0 TDI 170BHP
    Mazda MX5 1.8
    Skoda Superb 1.9TDI
    Subaru Impreza 2.0R

As you can see from above I’m open to any form of suggestion. As it is a straight cash purchase I usually get around 2k discount and a further €500 on fleet discount.

I really do love my cars and seem to spend so much time in one, I want to try and get something special! Not your standard reps car!!!

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

from those listed above, I'd have the Octavia or the MX5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I too would get either the mx5 or the octavia vRS. 55k is a good bit of driving so unless brilliant handling was an absolute top priority i would go for the vRS.It would be more comfortable on long journeys and is loaded with equipment.Btw i would not get the mini because although the looks will impress you in the short term, its small size will become annoying and uncomfortable on long journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

might be a touch outta budget but as others are pointing out here the Scooby Legacy Diesel wouldn't be a bad buy either.
    30k I think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i would go for the Octavia TDi Vrs, i love them cars at the moment.
    170bhp loads of torque, i know one guy that got his remapped by one of the guys out there, autoremap (€300) etc up to 200bhp and lots, i mean lots more torque!!

but even standard they are a cracking car imo

band C tax too, onlt €290 a year down from €590.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

I've just been checking out the scooby Legacy Diesel, that iws one serious car!!!

I'm going to try and get my hands on one for an hour or so. Will the AWD suck the power out of it? Looks a great spec! Looks much more that 30K...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

+1 on the Octavia VRS TDI, get it remapped and enjoy. Get it in Blue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I've just been checking out the scooby Legacy Diesel, that iws one serious car!!!

I'm going to try and get my hands on one for an hour or so. Will the AWD suck the power out of it? Looks a great spec! Looks much more that 30K...

The Octavia RS TDI or the Legacy Diesel...

I have the latter. Only downside is a slightly un-diesel-like lack of grunt at low revs but that's more than compensated for by mid-range poke. Having said that, my car isn't even run-in yet and I'm probably being over-critical. In every other sense it has surpassed expectations.

Wished I'd at least looked at the Octavia, I kinda forgot about it:o. I don't really like the looks though. The badge is a bit of a deterrant also if i'm honest. Actually I think it's more that Octavias are 10-a-penny amongst middle-aged couples and taxi-drivers. The RS is an excellent package though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Was reading down through the thread and was going to suggest the Legacy boxer too, but now I see you already tested it. I though it was listed for 29,xxx, so should be able to get some cash discounting surely.
    Surely the AWD only makes it better

sk8board wrote: »
    Was reading down through the thread and was going to suggest the Legacy boxer too, but now I see you already tested it. I though it was listed for 29,xxx, so should be able to get some cash discounting surely.
    Surely the AWD only makes it better

The 29,xxx price is before delivery charges, metallic pain etc. Stickered up in dealer at just over 31 grand.

It's ging to be tight to get it under budget! I'll all depend as to what kind of fleet discount I can get!

What is the feel of the inside of the Legacy? I love the scoup on the black. Do you find the seats good? How's the lumber support?

Can't believe that I hadn't at least one of the two cars in the running at the start...

• Advertisement

It's ging to be tight to get it under budget! I'll all depend as to what kind of fleet discount I can get!

What is the feel of the inside of the Legacy? I love the scoup on the black. Do you find the seats good? How's the lumber support?

Can't believe that I hadn't at least one of the two cars in the running at the start...

I find seats grand and there's adjustable lumber support but chairs are very much down to personal preference I find - what's fine for me mightn't suit you at all and vice-versa - you may check it out yourself:)...

If supply is limited you mightn't get much of a discount though. Is Subaru on the list of makes your fleet company will buy?

The Legacy got a mild facelift last year and interior trim was upgraded - it's miles ahead of the new Impreza and at least as good as the other cars on your list. Black with some nice use of silver inside.

Today I test drove the new Citroen C5 Dynamique…. Boy was I surprised! It was a great car and had reasonable torque for a 1.6 L Engine, Its 100 BHP with 240 lbs of torque.

It has ever extra under the sun with a speed limiter as well as cruise control. Lumber support and a nice little feature when you are going around a corner a side light comes on! I don’t know how useful it is but I found it “interesting!

I called down to the Citroen garage in Rochestown, Cork. I was blown away with the customer service and for once I found a sales person that had an interest and knew ever minor detail about the care. The sales person (Liam Mullane) actually listened and tried to meet my requirements! It’s a car I had not considered seriously until I called to the dealership. It’ll be a hard act to follow

SO feedback pls… What’s the verdict????
    Example
    http://www.citroen.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1076915

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Today I test drove the new Citroen C5 Dynamique…. Boy was I surprised! It was a great car and had reasonable torque for a 1.6 L Engine, Its 100 BHP with 240 lbs of torque.

It has ever extra under the sun with a speed limiter as well as cruise control. Lumber support and a nice little feature when you are going around a corner a side light comes on! I don’t know how useful it is but I found it “interesting!

I called down to the Citroen garage in Rochestown, Cork. I was blown away with the customer service and for once I found a sales person that had an interest and knew ever minor detail about the care. The sales person (Liam Mullane) actually listened and tried to meet my requirements! It’s a car I had not considered seriously until I called to the dealership. It’ll be a hard act to follow

SO feedback pls… What’s the verdict????
    Example
    http://www.citroen.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1076915

Well I picked up one of these two weeks ago (1.8 petrol). Very happy so far. Ironically, I went into the other Cork Citroen dealer to look at the Legacy diesel saloon (they also sell Subaru) with no intentions of looking at the C5 (a Citroen - are you mad?!) but it immediately caught my eye in the showroom - moreso than the Scooby. It is a stunning looking car in the flesh. The car is unbelievably smooth on the road and almost impossibly quiet! It really is an oasis of calm. Interior is really classy, even down to the seat material. The whole package really seems like a more expensive car.

Down sides: gears really need to be worked to get any sort of decent acceleration (despite a reasonable-ish 127 bhp), but I knew that going in. Felt the deal I got (gotta sell before VRT change) was too good to turn down. May not be as much of a problem with the diesel. Cruises no bother though - easy to find yourself going far faster than expected! It certainly does have a bit of 'boat' handling in curves, but that's hardly unexpected. Pedals are a bit close together which may be awkward with boots or wide shoes. Stereo is only OK. Only had one problem so far - although that was total electrical failure! Actually just turned out to be a loose battery connection (check if you get one - the positive terminal is clipped on rather than screwed) - sorted it without calling breakdown cover.

Dealt with Liam as well and he certainly seems genuine and didn't even mind taking a 40 minute test drive (although I really hate when they come with you). Unfortunately he reverted to classic salesman type and I had to repeatedly call him to sort trade in price. Did you drive the dark blue diesel they have? That's the colour I got - really nice. Bought from the other dealer in the end, and would not recommend them, except on price. It might be worth noting that O'Briens in Midleton - who dealt Citroen until this year - are still an authorised Citroen service centre - they have excellent service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

a new model m5 diesel... 353d... chip it and enjoy Heeps of power in a car that feels like your driving an arm chair...

Padraig Mor, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I took the navy diesel for a test drive. I must say I did like it... I would be looking at the identical spec in the car I’ll be purchasing. From the moment I walked into the showroom i thought it was eye catching. Did you take the Legacy out for a good test drive? How did it feel?

Is the Adaptive front lighting a nice feature on the C5? I do love my gadgets! The dials are pretty nice too! It's a pretty well thought out car. Who'd have thought,,, A citroen??!!

My two concerns at the minute re the C5 – Is it lacking in power and as you said will it drive like a boat on back roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Padraig Mor, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I took the navy diesel for a test drive. I must say I did like it... I would be looking at the identical spec in the car I’ll be purchasing. From the moment I walked into the showroom i thought it was eye catching. Did you take the Legacy out for a good test drive? How did it feel?

Is the Adaptive front lighting a nice feature on the C5? I do love my gadgets! The dials are pretty nice too! It's a pretty well thought out car. Who'd have thought,,, A citroen??!!

My two concerns at the minute re the C5 – Is it lacking in power and as you said will it drive like a boat on back roads?

Yeah, took the Legacy out too (could only drive estate but would have bought saloon). Liked that as well. It's good looking in a different way to the C5 - kinda beefy. Gotta say it didn't feel like 150 bhp though - although maybe that's just me. Was VERY surprised though on the two test drives I took that I was caught for power on joining a main road from a side road - even in second. Given i was joining a pretty fast road, this could have been potentially dangerous. It has some serious kit though, and great economy, as well as AWD obviously. (BTW I believe the xenons are for the high beam only - not bi xenons). At the end of the day though, what lost it was the interior. It just looks a little cheap compared to the C5 - although this may not matter to you. Smaller boot too (kid on the way so gotta think about that!). Definitely rides harder than the C5, but that ain't a big surprise. Swings and roundabouts really - better drive in the Legacy vs more comfort in the C5.

I have the petrol C5 so can't really compare to the diesel but the acceleration is there - you just gotta drop a gear. Overtaking would need to be carefully planned. I think the diesel is 110 bhp BTW, not 100. It is a bit of a boat on bends, but not too bad. My previous-before-last car was also a barge - you get used to it TBH. Maybe you should take it from Rochestown again and try up around Mount Oval etc - plenty of windy roads there; also 'back road' between Rochesrtown and Passage.

Was VERY surprised though on the two test drives I took that I was caught for power on joining a main road from a side road - even in second. Given i was joining a pretty fast road, this could have been potentially dangerous.

It's kinda high-geared, you can hold on to 1st a little longer before shifting up. I don't know if this is to aid economy or whether it's a characteristic of Subarus in general. Official 0-60 is 8.5 secs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hairfreak07

Definitely the Mini Cooper with 17" alloys, leather seats and hifi system. €150/yr tax for all 08 models, low CO2, good mpg (think of the environment!!), has all the power you need (not unneccessary power..), more options than any cars out there especially the interior, needs 3/4 of a space to park, perfect for getting round the city and squeezing through tight spaces!!! Incredible handling.

Also offers a TLC pack which covers 3 yr servicing up to something like 80,000km for only €250.

Might find the tiny boot space and lack of rear leg room annoying, and a little bumpy for the country roads. But it depends on where and what you need the car for and how many are travelling.

It is NOT a woman's car, as there're definitely more men then women driving it in Asia, France and Germany, seen it with my own eyes. Something weird about this country..

If I was spending 28k its something like this M3 I would be looking at op. It would be easily got for under 28k in the current climate and you would have some car for your money. There are plenty of M3's around for under 30k now.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/www.carsource.ie/1113663/.

The mini is a womans car it just looks wrong when you see a fella driving one I don't care how many fellas are driving them around Europe the Irish obviously have the right idea imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

If I was spending 28k its something like this M3 I would be looking at op. It would be easily got for under 28k in the current climate and you would have some car for your money. There are plenty of M3's around for under 30k now.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/www.carsource.ie/1113663/.

The mini is a womans car it just looks wrong when you see a fella driving one I don't care how many fellas are driving them around Europe the Irish obviously have the right idea imo.

Lads - read the full thread - had to be a new car!

Plus - thread 2 months old anyway.

• Advertisement

RedorDead wrote: »
    Lads - read the full thread - had to be a new car!

Thanks for pointing that out I only had time for a quick read and obviously missed the new car bit.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Some of the suggestions are quite frankly strange in my usual unbiased opinion:rolleyes::D.

A "hot hatch" with a paraffin stove is now a good car for doing 55k km a year in:confused:?

If you're doing 55k km a year, then you need a comfy, reliable car which can get a shift on when required with proven technology.

The Octavia vRS no doubt can move since it has 170 bhp, but it is supposed to be a pseudo hot hatch(since it has the wrong engine to be a proper hot hatch), so that means it's bound be noisier and less comfortable than a standard version. Hot hatches are supposed to be about thrills, not the type of car for covering 55k km a year.

The OP needs a high spec family hatchback that is not a hot hatch. Family saloons at this price are usually low spec, and with low power engines.

A Focus 1.8 TDCi Ghia would be a good start, though a 2.0 TDCi would be better still if Ford sold it with the proper version of the engine and not the detuned Irish special engine.

The Honda Civic i-CDTi would be an excellent choice(IMO). 135 bhp in a car of that size should mean it will have plenty of go, and acres of torque too). 56.5 mpg thrown in for good measure and loads of equipment thrown in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

I have to agree with E92, comfort has be be the decider if you are doing 55k per year. Get comfy seats, air con, good driving position, then try to get the biggest engine you can aford. Unfortunately, 30k or so is not enough to get real performance, damn VRT!

Worth a look:
    140PS VW Golf 3-door 2.0L diesel with excellent DSG transmission is just over 30k, the 170PS is almost 35k. also similar VW Jetta/Audi A3/seat leon/skoda octavia. Seat have a 200bph for 32k but ride could be harsh.

Honda Civic 1.8 vtec sport - €27,700 (or 2.2L diesel)

Peugeot 308 1.6 150 BHP SV - €29,500

Mazda Mazda6 2.0 EXECUTIVE 147bhp

Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD MULTIJET 150 BHP LUSSO - €28k - might fall apart

most powerful car for the money is probably the RENAULT Clio 197 @ < €30k - great fun, could be a tiring after an hour or 2, might fall apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

28k to spend... someone just posted this http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=272377 and it could do the job, with an extra 10.5k left to get a good MX-5 which you mentioned, then you'd have a 180bhp workhorse and a nice little weekend car too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

CAR MUST BE NEW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

shame you don't live up north where there's no VRT because this would be a beauty! http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Lancer-Evolution/EVO-X/1202319/ and it's a real ad!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

For goodness sake. OP made it quite clear the car must be new.

Advertisement