Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not detecting a DSL signal

Options
  • 13-07-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Why not detecting a DSL signal on one modem when an older one is, so line is fine.
    When trying to set-up the new modem setting it up gives the error message "unable to detect dsl" and all connections are fine. Apart from a faulty modem what could it be? Would a wrong password cause this, or should it still detect a signal just no connect properly.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Make sure the settings are correct (PPPoE or whatever your ISP uses), username, password.

Check microfilter.

Check cable from microfilter to router.

Don't forget only one router can utilise the DSL line at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

davton wrote: »
    Why not detecting a DSL signal on one modem Would a wrong password cause this, or should it still detect a signal just no connect properly.

Yes, your DSL modem should at least sync with the exchange. In this case you would see a dsl link light on, but the internet/broadband link light would be off (or a different colour depending on your hardware)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ethernet wrote: »
    Make sure the settings are correct (PPPoE or whatever your ISP uses), username, password. password im not so sure, i have tried the norm surname etc but not having any joy. I would still have thought it would detect the signal regardless

Check microfilter. checked

Check cable from microfilter to router. same cable for working router

Don't forget only one router can utilise the DSL line at a time. yes disconnecting one to connect the other
    Get0fix wrote: »
    Yes, your DSL modem should at least sync with the exchange. In this case you would see a dsl link light on, but the internet/broadband link light would be off (or a different colour depending on your hardware)

Yes, there isnt a dsl light, just a broadband link light. But in the gateway it shows the error dsl not detected. The broadband light is red sadly

I got another to check against and its not getting the dsl signal either, apart from 2 seconds when I initially boot it up which is strange and not sure what to do now,,,,,,,, any suggestions lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

physically disconnect anything sharing the phone line.. then power off then on the dsl modem again

• Advertisement

zod wrote: »
    physically disconnect anything sharing the phone line.. then power off then on the dsl modem again

But the line works fine with another router, im just taking the jack from one to another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Make sure the username and password are correct. Ring your ISP if neccessary. I would think the modem would have to authenticate before syncing. Have you recently bought the modem to replace the old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I wonder is it the speed you are trying to sync at? If your line can't really handle the speed the modem will constantly disconnect because it can't sync at the high speed, could be that the new modem is more sensitive.

Do your line stats support the speed you have?

There are a lot of older posts in this forum that discuss the stats you need...from memory you need something like a line attenuation figure of 60db or lower to support 1Mb and about 40db to support 2Mb. Can't remmeber what the signal to noise needs to be, higher than 10 would probably be required to maintain a good connetion. There are plenty of people on these boards that would know the figures a bit more accurately me.....

Anyway, just a guess, I had a simiar kind of problem with disconnects and modem not picking up the DSL at all, I bought an older modem that was recommended for maintaining the connection (D-Link DSL-G604T) and it worked a charm. My line stats are borderline for 2Mb.

Advertisement