Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK Tax Refund Question / V5C issue

Options
  • 13-07-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently bought a car from a garage in the UK. They paid the tax for the car and forgot to bill me for it. They said they had to tax the car for me before they could let it out of the garage and said I could avail of a refund once I'm home.

Fair enough.

Can I not send THEM back the tax disc and get THEM to avail of the refund from the DVLA? They paid for it. Or do I pay the garage for the tax disc and then request a refund from the DVLA myself? Car is at home in Ireland by the way.

Also, they gave me sections 10-11 and filled in a relations address on the V5C form - they done this in order to tax the car. I called them and told them I needed the full form for the VRT, they're going to send it over (possibly when I send the disc back / pay for the tax.)

Will the VRO grant me a few days to register because of this?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Should be noted the car's been in Dublin since Friday. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

you need to go to teh VRt office and get them to start teh process, they'll give you a letter in case you get stopped by customs/gardai (customs could lift the car if they felt like it otherwise)

the garage you were dealing with have messed you about... you need all that form, if they wont send it or have submitted it to DVLA, you can request a duplicat from DVLA, sometimes its fast, sometimes its months, civil servants are the same the world over

as for the tax, the pedantic twats, I'd imagine you've lost that money, if they have submitted the form, you cannot claim it back as you are not at a British address, if they havn't send it back and get your refund.... no British plod would lift you on the drive to the port, so long as you could show a booking and insurance.

I never paid for the tax, they forgot to bill me for it. So, are THEY elligible for a refund if I post it back to them? Don't want to get messed around with not having all the documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

as I know... you need UK address to get road tax refund cheque sent to you...

I've a relation, to which they put that address down on the V5C form. Why did they do this? To tax the car. Why did they tax it? Cause they wouldn't let me drive out of the garage without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

because they are idiots, now you've a whiole new problem.

Your relation will be posted teh new owners documentation, they will eb able to get a refund on the rtax disk, they will then need to send you the ENTIRE V5 doc so that you can import it here..... but get the waiver from teh VRT office or customes could seze that car at the side of the road.

silly messing

Cheers. I got onto the garage on Friday evening and told them that I definately needed the entire cert, I don't think they posted it off to the DVLA.

The perdiciment I'm in now is to PAY THEM for the tax inorder for them to SEND ME the v5c document. However, once they send me the documentation, I will not be eligible to a refund. (The car will be exported etc..)

God damnit.

Advertisement