Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Right or left driving?

Options
  • 13-07-2008 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Most of the world drives on the right side of the road. Usually left driving countries are former British colonies, like Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, some part of Africa etc..

What would you say if you were voting on "Do you want Ireland to be right driving country"?

Have you ever had any difficulties with driving on the right side during travels or something?

Map of left driving countries (blue color):
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Sens_de_circulation.png

Do you want Ireland to become right driving country? 32 votes

Yes, let's join the majority
    0% 0 votes
    No, left driving system is alright
    100% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When you say "Most of the world", Ireland is one of two countries on the planet to have L-Hand driving.

edit: okay so its more like 75. But STILL. It makes you weird o_o

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

Have any countries changed from left side to right side in recent history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

nocal wrote: »

I think Sweden changed during the sixties. There were a few headaches at the beginning but it changed over relatively painlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Let's spend the money on something else, howz about that?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Sweeden, and I think Australia changed from right to left.

At the end of the day, it's all about where your cars come from, and Japanese cars are better than American ones, so unless the entire world changes, I'm happy to stay left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Photi wrote: »
    I think Sweden changed during the sixties. There were a few headaches at the beginning but it changed over realtively painlessly.

But thats Sweden.
    Imagine what would it be like if Ireland was to change! The chaos, the people bitching bout it...

I don't mind the left-hand driving system...
    Though i'ld say the right one would be more convenient if you were to like go on a road trip across europe or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I wanna drive on the right.

Nuff said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Most people are right handed, I'd imagine holding the wheel with your right hand is safer than left :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Yes.

Czechoslovakia, Austria and Hungary changed the rules into right driving system in the lat 30s. Canada was left driving country till changes in 1920's.

China in 1946. Sweden in 1967. Island in 1968. Burma and Nigeria in 1970's..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Driving on the right sounds like a better idea to me anyway.
    Would make traveling/possibly living abroad less daunting.

Standardisms are often usful.

It is a word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

If Donie Cassidy says it, it must be true
    http://blah.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055232833
    It would also make for cheaper cars too, but by the time it happens fuel will be so expensive that it wont matter anymore!
    Interesting map on wikipedia about it too:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg

I just can not see it happening here .

Probably safer if we stay the way we are.

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Yes.

Czechoslovakia, Austria and Hungary changed the rules into right driving system in the lat 30s. Canada was left driving country till changes in 1920's.

China in 1946. Sweden in 1967. Island in 1968. Burma and Nigeria in 1970's..
    Also Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Brazil, Chile, Italy, the Philippines, Gambia, Ghana, Sierra Leone, and the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,437 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, go on. I can imagine the red cow roundabout at 8am on the Monday morning after the chagne.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Interesting text from wiki about changes in Sweden:
    Since Swedish cars were LHD, experts had suggested that changing to driving on the right would be safer, because drivers would have a better view of the road ahead.

Indeed, fatal car-to-car and car-to-pedestrian accidents dropped sharply as a result, mostly because people initially drove more slowly and more carefully. However, the accident rate rose back to its original position within two years. :D

First hours of changes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sweden1967.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

So alternate every 2 years?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Driving on the left is fine, to change would be totally pointless and stupid really.

There is no need whatsoever to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I'd agree with Holsten. I think it's completely unnecessary. It might make people more comfortable with driving in other countries, but that's hardly a good reason. Imagine the chaos it'd cause over here!

First hours of changes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sweden1967.jpg

That picture is hilarious - Dublin would come to a standstill if the change was implemented here.

The reason that I asked the original question was because I would seriously wonder how it could be achieved with greater volumes of cars on the roads.

If it meant cars became significantly cheaper then I would be all for it, but can you honestly see any Irish government not increasing the VRT at the same time???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Have you ever had any difficulties with driving on the right side during travels or something?
    Indeed! Especially when the car is configured for right driving instead of left.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think it's all Napoleons fault.

Did see something previously about which side of the road they used to drive their horse and cart's on, and there was something about it actually making more sense to drive on the left. Then Napoleon came along and decided he didn't want to be doing the same as the Bristch so got half of Europe to switch to the right.

All motorbikes are left hand drive, well in that you get off them and put them on their stand to the left and doing that into the traffic is probably not the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Yeah these countries all changed over at the latest in the seventies. There's a hell of a lot more cars on the roads these days. No brainer, keep it how it is.

Think of Northern Ireland sure!

dsmythy wrote: »
    Yeah these countries all changed over at the latest in the seventies. There's a hell of a lot more cars on the roads these days. No brainer, keep it how it is.

Think of Northern Ireland sure!

now that would be hilarious - I can just see the signs

"Welcome to Northern Ireland. Please put your watch back 600 years and by the way...YOU ARE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

No point. We're an island, it's not as if we border with a rhs country and there's hassle crossing over.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

random wrote: »
    Let's spend the money on something else, howz about that?

But think of the savings you would make on cars if they didnt have to make lefty version for us stubborn bastards

What if UK decided to move into right driving system?? :D

conzymaher wrote: »
    But think of the savings you would make on cars if they didnt have to make lefty version for us stubborn bastards
    Yup.. Another long term benefit would be safety of foreign visitors in Ireland and Irish people themselves traveling and renting cars all over the world.

World is becoming more globalized so the problem will become bigger in the next decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Yup.. Another long term benefit would be safety of foreign visitors in Ireland and Irish people themselves traveling and renting cars all over the world.

World is becoming more globalized so the problem will become bigger in the next decades.

Price and existence of oil will put an end to that :pac:

Why doesn't the world change to left hand driving? There's more people living in countries than traveling between them at any one time. The UK changing to the "European" way of driving is as likely as them giving up their pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

No point. We're an island, it's not as if we border with a rhs country and there's hassle crossing over.

That crossed my mind when I looked at the map- what do other countries do when they border with a country that drives on the other side?

I REALLY don't think Ireland should change. There are still people talking in pounds instead of euro and even MORE that are still going by miles instead of kilometers

"I got caught speeding at 100 kilometers an hour, I was only doing 50 miles..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

People in Cavan already drive on the right.

Advertisement