Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bru na Pairce

• 14-07-2008 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Anybody go to Killarney for the lc irish course for the two weeks??? I thought it was tough for the 2 weeks but well worth it though! I went straight away after finishing school in the first week of june which was a bit of a bollox just being out of school!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I did it last year, yea. Definetely worth it, but it was a TRAUMATIC two weeks. That grammer teacher...*shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I did it two years ago. Definitely worth it but the grammar teacher was a little on the intense side.
    That said the comprehension teacher wasn't particularly pleasant either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I only heard of it this year when a few girls in my Chemistry class were saying they were going to do it...sounds horrific!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Went last year, wasn't too bad! I went to the mixed course and that definately makes a difference! Hated the aiste teacher saying "TG" every two minutes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I did it two years ago. Definitely worth it but the grammar teacher was a little on the intense side.
    That said the comprehension teacher wasn't particularly pleasant either...

Im not being PC here but was she the " heavy one " ?

• Advertisement

lizt wrote: »
    Went last year, wasn't too bad! I went to the mixed course and that definately makes a difference! Hated the aiste teacher saying "TG" every two minutes though!

Was your aiste teacher a guy who looked like jimmy carr and kept going " go maith, go maith ar fad lads ". He was really sound to me. He gave me extra stuff to photocopy in my own time which was good of him.

Piste wrote: »
    I only heard of it this year when a few girls in my Chemistry class were saying they were going to do it...sounds horrific!

Twas tough alright. Here was my schedule so to speak:

Class starts at 10 from monday to thursday except friday when it starts at 9.

10.00 - 11.30 Leamhthuiscint ( This teacher was extremely intense and was up herself )
    11.45 - 1.15 Aiste ( this guy was sound as a trout;) )
    sos for 45 minutes
    2.00 - 3.30 Poetry ( this guys notes were first class but he would make a mockery out of you if you got on his wrong side)
    3.45 - 5.15 Pros/Tape ( Its cearrvvvvach mac caba NOT cearruuuach mac caba, god she drived me around the bend!, She spoke way too quickly. )

7.00 - 10.00 ( This was the real killer and sealer of fate. I would have my homework and study done by about 9.20 and I was subject to reading a lidl brochure to pass the time. I didnt understand Maires idea of giving us tests during the 2 weeks, which included aistes which I put a fair bit of effort into and got A1s for them when we were only there for 2 weeks. That time could have been used for extra tuition and not to give teachers a "scith a ligeann" so to speak)

Well worth it though in the end and I would recommend it highly to those considering doing higher level Irish for the leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Was your aiste teacher a guy who looked like jimmy carr and kept going " go maith, go maith ar fad lads ". He was really sound to me. He gave me extra stuff to photocopy in my own time which was good of him.

nope she was old, had black hair and looked like a witch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

lizt wrote: »
    nope she was old, had black hair and looked like a witch!

I had that wan, was she was obsessed with the tuisceal ginideach:P

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

where can you apply/get info for a course in brú na pairce ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Bru Na Pairce
    Park Road, Killarney, Co. Kerry.
    064-6632119

Thanks Piste :) do you know if you stay there are do you have to stay somewhere else ?? also do you stay there at the weekend ?? Sorry about all the questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Sorry to be blah blah but in my opinion it's better to go to a Gaeltacht where you can experience the culture and get a love of the language rather than come home depressed and hating Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

phish wrote: »
    Thanks Piste :) do you know if you stay there are do you have to stay somewhere else ?? also do you stay there at the weekend ?? Sorry about all the questions

You stay in a house/B&B, and you go home at the weekend (You will be so glad of this when the time comes!) They send out a list of the places you can stay. Not sure if we can post the names here but the woman i stayed with was lovely, She had tea and cake ready for us every night when we got in :) awesome after a hard day :D

zam wrote: »
    Sorry to be blah blah but in my opinion it's better to go to a Gaeltacht where you can experience the culture and get a love of the language rather than come home depressed and hating Irish!

I wouldn't agree at all. I loved coming home being able to speak and write a language i had been learning for 10+ years. You just don't learn as much in a Gaeltacht

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Hi, Im also considering going this year, but is it really that hard?
    My level of irish is probobly below what it should be for a 5th year. (although I did get a B in the JC)

One of my friends wants me to go with her and I really do want to improve my irish because I struggle with grammer and oral tests.
    I think I would strugle with doing hours of homework every night especially because all i used to do in irish was learn essays off by heart :-S
    how was the whole experience? - do you get breaks and what time does the 'school' finish at each day?

Also how much did the whole thing cost? (I heard that you have to find your own place to stay etc)

Thanks for any information, its really appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 XCiXCol

I went to bru na pairce before
    a normal day is something like this

10-11.30 poetry
    11.45-1.15 pros and hist
    2-3.30 aiste
    3.45-5.15 leamhthuiscint

7-9 was study time-get homework done

Before I went i would have been similar to you, learning aistes off and not confident in grammar etc but they really give you a fantastic grounding in grammar and some fabulous notes for the aiste.

It is a very tough two weeks but you will reap the benefits in 6th year...and you can go home at the weekend:)

Costs were somewhere in the range of a grand if i remember correctly(accomodation included) if u ring up bru na pairce they will give u a list of b&b's
    Our b%b gave us lifts to and from the college but no dinner was provided to we had to get dinners in kilarney but they do provide u with a packed lunch

Hope that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Thanks! That really clears some stuff up :-)

...was the homework difficult?? :-S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Zofan

Hi am going to Bru na Pairce this year but am wondering how to decide where to stay....there's a huge list!! Can anyone who has done the course recommend a B&B?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Class starts at 10 from monday to thursday except friday when it starts at 9.

Heya! I was thee the last two weeks of august last year and they have changed all the classes so that you start at 9 every morning and finish at 9 that night. Apparently parent were complaining that students were finishing too late or something.

I found it really good though. It was a rough 2 weeks while it lasted but definitely worth it in the end. My teacher in school isn't great so I don't think I would have survived without bru. Would definitely recommend it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

cli2931 wrote: »
    Heya! I was thee the last two weeks of august last year and they have changed all the classes so that you start at 9 every morning and finish at 9 that night. Apparently parent were complaining that students were finishing too late or something.

I found it really good though. It was a rough 2 weeks while it lasted but definitely worth it in the end. My teacher in school isn't great so I don't think I would have survived without bru. Would definitely recommend it!!

They changed it to finish at nine so some people wouldnt have to walk home in the dark!!

In fairness i def dont think they are worth paying 600 yo-yos and nearly another 400 for accommadation!
    You would be better off spending the money on grinds through out the year!
    They give you so much to do in the study at night its impossible to do it all and in the end you make a balls of the whole lot. that old witch that runs it obviously nvr heard the phrase "quality rather than quamity"!

But i must say it was good for aistes and if you wanted to get a general overline of the poetry etc.

I found the notes poor tho, specially the stair and poetry notes.
    My teacher is hopeless but she still gives better notes. have a look around for other courses!!

Zofan wrote: »
    Hi am going to Bru na Pairce this year but am wondering how to decide where to stay....there's a huge list!! Can anyone who has done the course recommend a B&B?

IS there a DALY woman on that list? she is very good. send me a private msg and ill get back to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joanne2010

You stay in a house/B&B, and you go home at the weekend (You will be so glad of this when the time comes!) They send out a list of the places you can stay. Not sure if we can post the names here but the woman i stayed with was lovely, She had tea and cake ready for us every night when we got in :) awesome after a hard day :D

Hi, i'm thinking of going to bru na pairce this year and that place sounds really nice...im wondering if you could give me her name or any where else nice that you know...
    Thank you :D

joanne2010 wrote: »
    Hi, i'm thinking of going to bru na pairce this year and that place sounds really nice...im wondering if you could give me her name or any where else nice that you know...
    Thank you :D

Theres a Daly and Cronin on that list. both are good. ones even a teacher so u'd be extra sorted

Hey just wondering if anyone can give any info on how hard/difficult the homework or tests are ??

phish wrote: »
    Hey just wondering if anyone can give any info on how hard/difficult the homework or tests are ??

The homework isn't exceptionally difficult, there is just a lot of it. You only get tests on stuff once you have it covered in class, so they are doable. It's tough at the start but just stick with it and you can get used to it. You'll see your grades improving as the time goes on. Don't worry about doing badly, there is nobody judging you!

cli2931 wrote: »

Great to see my thread still alive and kicking!:) Serious? Maire was that generous to finish classes at 9? God you had to love that woman. She was strict but meant well. How did you find it overall? Bru na Parice was the only reason straight out that I got an A2 in Gaeilge. The teachers were brilliant down there. Did you have Donal O Murchu for aistes? As in the guy who looks like Jimmy Carr? lol What a legend, gave me extra notes to photocopy for myself including an Irish oral book that was dead old but you couldnt get it in the shops!

For anyone looking for places to stay there I stayed with Margaret and Donal O'Sullivan if they are still on the list. Very nice place to stay and we were allowed to take what we wanted from the fridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭hatethisfeeling

Thinking about going there too but my irish really isnt that good :(
    I got a C in the j.c.
    Do you have to speak irish all the time like in a gaelteacht?and is it easy to make friends?im kinda shy :(
    Where abouts are ye all from?Im from the midlands so seems like a long way away from me lol will be fairly awkward gettin home at the weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭hatethisfeeling

bump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

I'm going to the course next week with lads from school and i think after reading about it here im going to die. :(

Advertisement