Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bru na Pairce

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

kilrush wrote: »
    I'm going to the course next week with lads from school and i think after reading about it here im going to die. :(

Heya! Don't worry about it it's really not that bad especially if you're going with people you know. Also it is REALLY worth it and when you go into 6th year you'll have the most amazing notes around! Trust me!! :)

And JSK252 no i didn't have him I had a different guy but he sounds great!! And yep finishing at 9 was great but that also meant starting an extra hour early which was kinda annoying. Ah well. I survived it very well.

It really isn't as bad as everyone paints it to be and it is only 2 weeks!!!!

Good luck there this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

so when does class start now 9 or 10 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 emacc

Anybody going down for the course staartin this monday ???

:eek:

emacc wrote: »
    Anybody going down for the course staartin this monday ???

:eek:

Yup...... Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

anyone going to the one starting dis Monday as in the 21st ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭hatethisfeeling

If thats what to call ye!
    Im goin at the end of august, it says of the leaflet to bring a poetry/pros book. What one did ye bring?The one I have from school is fuinneamh with the purple cover, is this the right one?
    I dont think the one I have has the higher level poems tho.
    Any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

If thats what to call ye!
    Im goin at the end of august, it says of the leaflet to bring a poetry/pros book. What one did ye bring?The one I have from school is fuinneamh with the purple cover, is this the right one?
    I dont think the one I have has the higher level poems tho.
    Any help would be appreciated!

Is fuinneamh not the paper one book?
    Anyway you'll need a copy of the higher poems for definite, they don't go through the ordinary poems unless they have extra time, i used fiuntas. Has all the pros and poetry

cool thanks

anyone thats gone to some of the ones this year wanna report back?is it as bad as its made out?im goin in august!:O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Is fuinneamh not the paper one book?
    Anyway you'll need a copy of the higher poems for definite, they don't go through the ordinary poems unless they have extra time, i used fiuntas. Has all the pros and poetry

They do go through some of the ordinary level ones becuase I have notes on jack, Nil Aon Ni, and Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa. They do go through the higher level ones in more depth alright but listen to the guys words of wisdom who covers the poetry and stair with ye. He is an absolute ledge while acting the prick at the same time. Likes to pick on people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

JSK 252 wrote: »
    They do go through some of the ordinary level ones becuase I have notes on jack, Nil Aon Ni, and Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa. They do go through the higher level ones in more depth alright but listen to the guys words of wisdom who covers the poetry and stair with ye. He is an absolute ledge while acting the prick at the same time. Likes to pick on people!

We only went through Jack and one other one i think, and there are diffenerent teachers for every course.

JSK 252 wrote: »

What book did you use?Oh god, Im dreading it now...I hate it when teachers take the piss out of you...I go so red etc:(

What book did you use?Oh god, Im dreading it now...I hate it when teachers take the piss out of you...I go so red etc:(

its not actually as bad as i thought it was going to be ...its hard work for the first week but it gets slightly easier after that another important thing is not to believe any of the stupid rumours about them taking notes off people etc

i used draocht i think or something like that but everyone else had different books aslong as they have the poems and storys in them any book will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MURZER

are u going on sunday 15th by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 emacc

That should be printed on their leaflet. No ifs buts or doubts about.

this place is hell incarnate.
    I did both maths and irish this summer and can safely say for sure that they were the toughest two weeks of my life.
    The stress is more than i had for the Junior Cert.

However i would do it all again, getting an entire leaving cert course done in 2 weeks is nothing to be sneezed at, and this is exactly what they manage to do in BNP.

The irish is run by Mary Shanahan, she is tough no doubts about it but is passionate about it. She loves her grammar and hates anyone thats crap at it. So if you dont put effort into your grammar while your their she will really come down on ya !

The maths is run by Mary Rose and she is a good teacher in all fairness but she seems to be that bit too much over the top with shouting and generally being crabbit. Like she has a class of 30 people all of whom are there to learn and yet she will always manage to give out for not paying attention to at least one person every class. Teachers would die for a class that wants to learn ! :L

If you think you can survive giving up 2 weeks fo your summer it will pay off so much in the long run.
    After having done the 2 courses i know a bit about evrything on the course before having started it. So when i do it in class it will be soo much easier !!

MURZER wrote: »
    are u going on sunday 15th by any chance ?

bit late now but yes I am!****ting it :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bnp103

just got back form 2 weeks of irish an bru na pairce !! have to say after reading these posts i was pretty worried about going down ! im not someone whos good at learning stuff off by heart and i really thought it was gonna be the worst two weeks of my life ! wasnt ahlf as bad as these posts make out ! ya its tough especially the first week when its 1am and your still learning stuff for tests in bed but the days fly and the second week is 100 times easier they really lay off ! the teachers are sound and the pricipal wasnt that bad either ! the only thing id make sure is that u dont go alone even haveing one friend theri makes a huge difference and staying with a nice b&b makes the whole experience slightly easier ! we were very lucky with ours couldnt have asked for nicer people but i did hear some bad stories about b&b's from others on the course ! if your hinking of going just do it u wont regret it and it isint hell by any means !!

have to agree it wasnt half as bad as everyone made it out to be!what class were you in? Deffo go with friends if possible, will help so much!did you find that you just had way too much to learn?I tried me best but there was so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

They have have any course now between now and the Junior cert. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dosh

Hi
    Do Bru na Pairce run courses over the Christmas or Easter for Leaving cert students. Or Oral Irish prep for students. My son who is due to sit leaving in 2011 has just told me that he will be lucky to scrape a C3 and he was relying on irish to bump up his points. Any courses with an emphasis on Grammer and oral irish would be good. Has to be Munster based. Being from the other end of Ireland - i am very aware of the difference between Ulster irish and munster irish. He doesn't understand me & I don't understand him when we attempt the "cupla focail". Any info would be appreciated.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seano554

hey I'm new here, but is the maths course in bru na pairce through Irish or English?
    and the standard is as good as the Irish course i assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beeethany

emacc wrote: »
    That should be printed on their leaflet. No ifs buts or doubts about.

this place is hell incarnate.
    I did both maths and irish this summer and can safely say for sure that they were the toughest two weeks of my life.
    The stress is more than i had for the Junior Cert.

However i would do it all again, getting an entire leaving cert course done in 2 weeks is nothing to be sneezed at, and this is exactly what they manage to do in BNP.

The irish is run by Mary Shanahan, she is tough no doubts about it but is passionate about it. She loves her grammar and hates anyone thats crap at it. So if you dont put effort into your grammar while your their she will really come down on ya !

The maths is run by Mary Rose and she is a good teacher in all fairness but she seems to be that bit too much over the top with shouting and generally being crabbit. Like she has a class of 30 people all of whom are there to learn and yet she will always manage to give out for not paying attention to at least one person every class. Teachers would die for a class that wants to learn ! :L

If you think you can survive giving up 2 weeks fo your summer it will pay off so much in the long run.
    After having done the 2 courses i know a bit about evrything on the course before having started it. So when i do it in class it will be soo much easier !!

Would you or anybody be able to tell me, what exactly we need to bring with us? I've missplaced my leaflet..

for irish you need a folder with dividers,book with poetry and pros (if they are on the course next year?), exam papers and pens and an a4 pad . I dont know about maths though.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Do they have a website by any chance?? can't find one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ___helena____

Hi, is anybody going to Brú na Páirce on July 3rd/4th? :D Is it really as hard as it sounds? What do I need to bring with me .... books, things for B&B, etc? Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 emilys5s

I'm just back from Bru irish course. It was fairly awful but time flew because we were kept so busy! I'm almost glad I went in with all the exaggerated horrow stories because it really wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.
    I stayed with margaret o'sullivan and it was a really nice b&b and I'd really recommend them! wifi etc in the house was pretty handy!!

I don't think there's any maths courses in Bru during the school term breaks so does anyone have any recommendations on some intense honours maths courses for 1/2 week(s) in 2011/12 ?

thank you.

I'm just back from Bru LC irish course. It was fairly awful but time flew because we were kept so busy! I'm almost glad I went in with all the exaggerated horrow stories because it really wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.
    I stayed with margaret o'sullivan and it was a really nice b&b and I'd really recommend them! wifi etc in the house was pretty handy!!

I don't think there's any maths courses in Bru during the school term breaks so does anyone have any recommendations on some intense honours maths courses for 1/2 week(s) in 2011/12 ?

thank you.

I'm just back from Bru irish course. It was fairly awful but time flew because we were kept so busy! I'm almost glad I went in with all the exaggerated horror stories because it really wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I know someone who is going and they are wondering if they really need to bring all their irish books and loads of folders to store things. It sounds a bit extreme for 2 weeks :/

Anybody know? Any bit of a response would be much appreciated! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Leaving Cert 2013

Where can i get a leaflet for the Irish course, is there a website?

Advertisement