Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bull wall closed / Garda cordon?

Options
  • 14-07-2008 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Mornin',

Driving pass the Bull Island bridge on the coast road and noticed a Garda van there with tape across not allowing any cars or early morning walkers / joggers past.
    Anyone heard of anything that happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I spotted that too, at about 08:15

I thought it was a speed check at first. No idea what it's about, and I can't find any stories on the news sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

trout wrote: »
    I spotted that too, at about 08:15

I thought it was a speed check at first. No idea what it's about, and I can't find any stories on the news sites.

Weird.
    Just saw a female Garda in one of those small Garda carvans writing notes.
    Couldn't see any other Garda activity up the wall.

I wonder was the other entry to Bull Island / Dollymount Strand cordoned off too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Godzilla attempted to come ashore.they got rid of him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/desperate-jump-into-sea-to-escape-gunmans-bullets-1433428.html

Very weird this. The Garda activity above was on Monday morning, and this happened Monday afternoon. Wonder was it related??
    Detectives are investigating an attempt on the life of a major Dublin drug dealer in Clontarf. In the latest incident involving gangs from the Drimnagh/Crumlin feud, a close associate of "Fat Freddie" Thompson was targeted.

Detectives are investigating an attempt on the life of a major Dublin drug dealer in Clontarf.

In the latest incident involving gangs from the Drimnagh/Crumlin feud, a close associate of "Fat Freddie" Thompson was targeted.

An assassin armed with a silenced pistol fired shots at Clondalkin trafficker Aidan Gavin (36) but failed to hit him.

The ruthless attacker took aim in broad daylight on the busy seafront around 1.30pm yesterday.

"Five to six shots were fired at the Clondalkin trafficker as he stood with his girlfriend and another man," a source said today.

The fine weather meant that it was a busy day at the beach and children were playing in the Dollymount Beach area just a short distance from where the incident is alleged to have taken place.

Three men were arrested separately after the incidentand are being held in Clontarf and Raheny Garda Stations.

One man dived into the sea to avoid the gunfire while Aidan Gavin and his girlfriend took off in another direction. Gardai believe the gunman, who fled in an Opel Vectra car wanted to kill the dealer.

"Between five and six shots were fired. It was a serious attempt to take this guy. He is a pretty major player in the overall scheme of things," said a source.

"The fact that a silencer was used, shows that the would-be assassin was showing a degree of sophistication," the source added.

Arrested

Gavin was picked up some time later in the Raheny area by gardai who had been alerted tothe armed incident. He was arrested under the Offences Against the State Actfor withholding information and can be held for an initial 24 hours.

After that, gardai must decide whether to extend the period of questioning by a further day. The man who jumped into Dublin Bay was also detained when he emerged 30 minutes later.

A third man was also arrested in relation to the incident, however gardai were this morning unwilling to say if he is the suspected gunman.

But a garda spokesperson confirmed: "We are investigating an alleged incident that occurred in the Dollymount Beach area yesterday afternoon.

"As part of the investigation three people were arrested in total. Two men are still being held at Clontarf Garda Station and one man at Raheny."

They are not releasing any further information at this stage.

It is understood that gardai are also interesting in speaking to Gavin's girlfriend to check whether she had been injured in the confrontation or if she can offer any extra information.

"We are checking why such a major drugs dealer was doing in this area at such a busy time of the day. He was well away from his normal turf and this was a serious attempt to take him out," said a detective.

In December 2006 Gavin was lucky to survive another attempt on his life after being stabbed minutes after being brought to Mountjoy prison.

He was knifed in the side in an attack which required 26 stitches. In July last year, he forfeited without contest €14,500 cash which gardai believed to be the proceeds of crime.

According to the affidavits, he was suspected of being involved "in the importation and distribution of drugs on a large scale in south Dublin and in other drug related crime including offences involving illegal firearms".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Those drug traffickers seem to like the seaside at Clontarf. :)

Remember 2 members from the same feud were murdered in the same area before?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

gurramok wrote: »
    Those drug traffickers seem to like the seaside at Clontarf. :)

Remember 2 members from the same feud were murdered in the same area before?

Dollymount beach attracts scumbags in droves,especially during the summer,i avoid the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Degsy wrote: »
    Dollymount beach attracts scumbags in droves,especially during the summer,i avoid the place.

Yeah, true, but remember, scum are lazy, walk 200 meters and your on your own!

Advertisement