Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gap in the clouds???

Options
  • 14-07-2008 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

how come that when there is 2 or more gaps in the clouds in the distance that the beams of sunlight shining down are not parallel :confused:

normally the angle differance is so great that you would get the impression that the sun is just bearly above the clouds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

mukki wrote: »
    how come that when there is 2 or more gaps in the clouds in the distance that the beams of sunlight shining down are not parallel :confused:

normally the angle differance is so great that you would get the impression that the sun is just bearly above the clouds

I think it's explained if you also take into account your position relative to the sun and the gaps in the clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Its called "Perspective".

Its the reason railway lines seem to converge together as they go towards the horizon until ,at the horizon,all the lines converge at the "Vanishing Point."

Look at the "sky lines" in "Figure 2" here:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/Drawing-Geometric-Perspective.id-1741.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

thanks guys, i thought that i finally had proof that all that ungodly astronomy and science stuff was wrong :D

Advertisement