Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Easy to sell on runabout until Jan 09?

Options
  • 14-07-2008 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

I have been offered a good price for my 06 car by a private buyer. I had no notion of changing but the offer is too good to turn down in the current climate so if he will take it then its his.

I will probably replace it with a new car in January so I am looking for a easy to sell on runabout for a couple of grand.

What would you suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

I bought an old Fiesta last year. 00 reg, only cost a few grand. Genuine one lady owner, low mileage, only driven to the shops and mass car. They are reliable and cost bugger all to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

something that learner drivers will want would be best, a 1 litre polo or 1.1 pug 206 something like that, if you can stick it out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

I dont think I can do the 1.0 thing.

What 4 door diesel saloon around 01, 02 would be easy to shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't touch a peugot 206 tbh, you'd be asking for trouble. The fiesta sounds like a good one to go for, there are mountains of them for sale and nobody wants them so you should be able to pick one up for a very good price, with a reasonable spec too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Just did the same thing, offloaded my old car and i'm going to buy in the new year.

I'm picking up my 'new' '96 Citroen Xantia with 200k miles on the clock tonight. It only cost me 500quid and I reakon that if its got that many miles on it most of the problems will have been ironed out by now. Also comes with tax and NCT till next year.

Do a search on Carzone for between 250 and 750 euro, you'll be amazed at the value that can be had.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't touch a peugot 206 tbh, you'd be asking for trouble. The fiesta sounds like a good one to go for, there are mountains of them for sale and nobody wants them so you should be able to pick one up for a very good price, with a reasonable spec too.

but if nobody wants them what will he do with it in january?

also whats wrong with pug 206s? i thought they were reliable little rascals :p

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

PM sent to Kafer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Thanks but no thanks "Countryripple" :D

if i was you kafer id try get a polo or golf in reasonable nick with low mileage these seem to sell well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

PM sent to Kafer.

• Advertisement

lol is everyone trying to sell their perfect runabout to him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I wouldn't touch a peugot 206 tbh, you'd be asking for trouble.

That's crap. There are lots of people who have had very few problems. And don't point me towards honestjohn - they list every single fault a model has ever had with little weighting applied.

This is subjective, but 10 years on I think it's still a stylish looking car and one that will always be popular with new drivers. I don't know if it's still the case, but for a good while it had market leading residuals.

Edit - however, the 1.1 is by no means quick, and I'd say the 1.4 upwards will be harder to shift, so for that reason it probably is not a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Buy a 1l starlet. You can sell these all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Buy an alfa 156 for next to nothing. It would need to be petrol to be really cheap. Should be a nice drive. Then through it away for a few hundred next year

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Ferris wrote: »
    I'm picking up my 'new' '96 Citroen Xantia with 200k miles on the clock tonight. It only cost me 500quid and I reakon that if its got that many miles on it most of the problems will have been ironed out by now. Also comes with tax and NCT till next year.

I love the Xantia, fine comfortable car.

Plus the adjustable height thing must be cool, 'im a jeep, im a sports car, im a jeep, im a sports car'!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....forget about a bigger car, and I'd avoid a 1.4 VW too - they're rubbish at that price, and for good reason - they're rubbish new !

Say what you like, but a 206 is easy to move, at the right price, and they're a known quantity to every mechanic.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I agree with the lads so far, buy something a first time driver will want to buy. I think the Fiesta is probably the best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

HJL wrote: »
    I love the Xantia, fine comfortable car.

Plus the adjustable height thing must be cool, 'im a jeep, im a sports car, im a jeep, im a sports car'!

I got it last night. Its a fine, strong car and the engine is sweet as a nut. Its like sitting in an armchair too. I know the guy who sold it to me and he used it for his landscaping business so its a bit manky bit it'll clean up alright. Haven't played around with the suspension yet so I don't know much about it, it self levels the car on startup so its handy for towing/carrying etc. Can't get over the fact that it was only 500euro and has 6 months tax and NCT.

OP do the Bangernomics thing, its a laugh, i'd go for an old comfortable yoke tho. A supermini will p1ss you off.

Advertisement