Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to register for VAT if income from two separate jobs over 35k?

• 14-07-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

As a sole trader, I must register for VAT if I supply more that 35k worth of services in a year - see http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/revguide/vat.htm#section2

If I have a day job, say as a contracter in a financial company, and an occasional evening job as, say, a DJ, and I earn 30k from the former and 10k from the latter, can I consider the two as "separate" businesses (just operating as a sole trader for both, without forming a limited company to cover either job) and therefore neither on its own liable for registering for VAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Anyone any ideas on this? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Just musing so I'm open to correction, but I'd say that you're a single business entity filing a single return of all your income, so I'd think how many businesses you are involved in is irrelevant from the Revenue's POV. They'd just be interested in your total income.

Advertisement