Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to live in OZ

• 14-07-2008 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

So i shall be heading there in Dec for 5 months living in syd and 1 month traveling up the east coast, dont know what to expect but i supose its what you make of it.

Where should we live if we do spend the whole 5 months in Sydney? Maybe spend time in Melbourne? Bondi and Coogee Irish areas from what ive read is that city centre or suburbs?
    Thinking of a high up apartment away from those pesksi insects (after africa dont think gf could handle more of them)

Want to work in IT for a few months keep the rent paid. (not sure its the job to meet ppl)

We shall be going as a couple but we do like the pub and the beach (not in that order) :) so wondering where should we live?

Have to return home in Feb for a wedding (best mate) who shall we fly with maybe for a halfway night stopover, 24hrs flying doesnt sound too good to me.
    Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

preddy wrote: »
    So i shall be heading there in Dec for 5 months living in syd and 1 month traveling up the east coast, dont know what to expect but i supose its what you make of it.

Where should we live if we do spend the whole 5 months in Sydney? Maybe spend time in Melbourne? Bondi and Coogee Irish areas from what ive read is that city centre or suburbs?
    Thinking of a high up apartment away from those pesksi insects (after africa dont think gf could handle more of them)

Want to work in IT for a few months keep the rent paid. (not sure its the job to meet ppl)

We shall be going as a couple but we do like the pub and the beach (not in that order) :) so wondering where should we live?

Have to return home in Feb for a wedding (best mate) who shall we fly with maybe for a halfway night stopover, 24hrs flying doesnt sound too good to me.
    Ta

Defo spend time in melb, I live in sydney and Melb is very very cool.
    You will have EXTREME difficulty getting a decent place in coogee/bondi around Dec, unless you sign a lease, and even then they want more than 5 months.

Personally I would live in Paddington or Surry Hills (prob the best pubs), if you want the east (fairly near the beach, bus journey away)
    Or Manly .. but that is a fair bit out of city - great area though.

Bondi and coogee are backpacker areas and plenty of Irish/English around, you can usually spot them in the dingy bars with county jerseys on.
    But saying that I lived in Bondi, for 2 months and loved it, and often frequented the dingy bars ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Staring in December is difficult especially in Sydney as nearly every backpacker/traveler heads there for Christmas.

I would suggest Coogee if you like the beach and pub. However this will be a difficult place to try find accommodation around that time.

As for where you will stay for 5 months. I don't know and if you have to work when you are over there you cant have too much of a set plan, as you don't know how long it will take to get work. If possible I would defo split time between Sydney and Melbourne and then do the east coast. But I would just take it as it comes, go to Sydney try find somewhere to live, try find a job and then see how things progress from there. The important thing about Oz is not to have a set plan, you have to be flexible.

High up apartment = great heat. So unless you are going to fork out for air con that could be bad. We had no trouble with insects in Sydney or Melbourne living on the ground floor. But trust me you won't be able to be that picky in December.

Ta

So you are flying out in December and coming back in Feb. Thats only three months? Are you flying to Oz in Dec coming back in Feb and then flying back out for two months? Sounds like a mess to me, can you not wait till Feb and go for the five months then? Why only 5 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

So you are flying out in December and coming back in Feb. Thats only three months? Are you flying to Oz in Dec coming back in Feb and then flying back out for two months? Sounds like a mess to me, can you not wait till Feb and go for the five months then? Why only 5 months?

Sorry should have explained better, will be South America for Sept -
    USA for Oct - NZ for Nov - then Oz from Dec-end of Feb week home then back to OZ until June then onto Aisa for 2 months, messy i know but hey tis life and my best mates wedding and no chance of home sickness with that on the cards.

Dont really have to work just want to for a month or so in Sydney maybe in Jan and then see what happens when we get back over.

Any agenies or sites to check early so we can organise b4 we land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Gonna be hard getting a decent place in Sydney or Melbourne around Christmas/New Year's! Might get something if you're willing to pay more. Even the hostels will be booked out at that time of year. So do some research before you get there so you ain't sleeping on the beach!

In Sydney, Surry Hills or Newtown are good areas to live and not far from the city. Coogee and Bondi are a good distance on the bus into the city. You could live over on the North Shore as there were always lots of jobs going in the Crow's Nest (think thats what it was called!) area over there. I had to turn them down coz I lived on the other side of the city. Lots of office blocks over there. Only bad thing about living over there maybe is getting home at night. Not sure what it's like.

We rented through The Furnished Property Group in Sydney.

Defo head to Melbourne. Will be busy around the time of the Grand Prix which happens in March so either go before or after that's on as you'll be charged a fortune for accomadation, that's if you can get it!!!

Shouldn't have a problem getting work in IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Why anyone would move to Australia and head straight for the Irish/English areas is beyond me. Might as well have stayed at home and saved the airfare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why anyone would move to Australia is beyond me. Might as well have stayed at home and saved the airfare.

I editted that post cruelly to make my own viewpoint come across.
    Thanks for being the unwitting victim Xavi!

I editted that post cruelly to make my own viewpoint come across.
    Thanks for being the unwitting victim Xavi!

You must have got burnt really bad over there, eh?! I can't see why anyone would not like Australia. Okay maybe a city or a small town you didn't like but the whole country??? Why Dr. why?

PM me the answer, don't want to go off topic!

Yeah I'm also curious about the Doc's massive chip.

Its personal taste. One persons trash and all that?
    I was filled with the joys of travel before I left for the place, reading opinions on boards and stuff really made me excited. Thats why we wanted to stop and work there. Thought it would be brilliant.
    Then I got there and it was at best like Ireland on steroids. Just so so so so samey.
    Its like moving to Dublin, only its bigger and half way round the world. And I dont mean just in Irish areas either. I strolled the balls out of the whole of Melbourne and lived in the city centre and all. Went to Brizzy, Sydney, Newcastle, all the places up the coast.
    And the rest of it never really excited me. Travelling up the coast was fun, but its just seaside town after seaside town. U know? The isolation and all that. Meh.
    Great Ocean road, Meh.
    Kangaroos? Meh.
    Australians? Big fat racist meh.
    When you compare it with somewhere like Thailand, oh man, the difference.
    I swear I got on that plane from Melbourne to Bangkok and I felt like I had been paroled.
    And I was being paid a fortune over there and all, had the kickass apartment, all of it. Just flat out hated the place. But I hate to troll or anything or be cruel to people. Its just I saw one side of the place and others loved it.
    Nimbin was a highlight. And Nimbin is a ****hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Yeah I'm also curious about the Doc's massive chip.

Im also curious. He seems to seek out any Oz posts and then proceed to slam the place.
    What gives Dr.?

Edit: I see.

• Advertisement

My need to slam the place is to provide a boardsies karmic alternative argument. It is not heaven on earth. It is just a place.
    Some people hate that place.
    I dont know why I cant let it go. I really dont.
    Even now the mention of Australia makes me see red.
    Thats how much I just plain did not like it.
    But most threads I would post in would be opinion threads. I dont set out to make someone feel bad for choosing to go there. So sorry OP.
    Most people like it.
    But some really dont.
    Much like most things in life.

Why anyone would move to Australia and head straight for the Irish/English areas is beyond me. Might as well have stayed at home and saved the airfare.

Sunshine and lolly pops! :)
    Beach sun sand whole new city sights and sounds, we will be seeing the whole city but is there a better way to meet ppl on the same buzz, get some advise on what we should see do and not do, we will just have done 3 months of traveling might want to go on the beer on say a Tuesday afternoon.

Now the GF has some family out there so we do have a bit of help and by the sounds of things we will need it accomidation wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Hey OP, I think it's crazy to spend 4 months in Sydney if you're not working. I lived in the city centre on Flinders St which is just off Oxford st. which is one of the main streets in the city. Great location, right beside parks and shops, restaurants etc. The bus to Coogee went from literally outside our door and the bus to Bondi was about a 5 min walk away. It was an old 3 storey house and all the rooms were rented out individually to backpackers - our house had a great vibe and made some friends who I still keep in touch with. There were about 5 houses together which were rented and the landlords had there office in one of them. We found out about it informally through someone in a hostel but that was 6 years ago so thinks might have changed. If I were you I'd stay in Sydney over Christmas and live in the city, you can always go up to the beach when you want. I'd recommend buying a cheap car and driving around. Go to Melbourne, Perth (might be a bit far out of way), up to Uluru, Darwin and back the east coast. I lived in Melbourne and Brisbane as well but Sydney was still my favourite city. BTW we had one of those huge huntsman spiders on the wall in the hall in our place for a month - it was on the top floor and think it came in the window. One day when the lads were drunk they killed it with a cricket bat but it still regulary appears in my nightmares so I don't think living on a top floor will protect you!

My need to slam the place is to provide a boardsies karmic alternative argument. It is not heaven on earth. It is just a place.
    But most threads I would post in would be opinion threads. I dont set out to make someone feel bad for choosing to go there. So sorry OP.
    Most people like it.
    But some really dont.

Very extreme imo. Fair enough you didn't like it but you can say that without completely slating the place. There are aspects I don't like and I can say that without coming across the way you do. There just seems to be a horrible bitter tone in your posts lately.
    Sunshine and lolly pops! :)
    Beach sun sand whole new city sights and sounds, we will be seeing the whole city but is there a better way to meet ppl on the same buzz, get some advise on what we should see do and not do, we will just have done 3 months of traveling might want to go on the beer on say a Tuesday afternoon.

Now the GF has some family out there so we do have a bit of help and by the sounds of things we will need it accomidation wise.

Why go to the other side of the world and drink Guinness and eat mash potatoes in a pub full of GAA jersey wearing culchies? I just don't understand. People need to get out of the comfort zone and do something different from the norm when they're abroad.

Why go to the other side of the world and drink Guinness and eat mash potatoes in a pub full of GAA jersey wearing culchies? I just don't understand. People need to get out of the comfort zone and do something different from the norm when they're abroad.

Culchies are ppl too (so ive heard)
    Sure im going to Brazil, Argentina, Peru ive been to Africa and ive 2 months in Aisa ahead so just want to live in the sun for a while i know what i likes and Oz sounds good to me.
    Meathlass wrote: »
    BTW we had one of those huge huntsman spiders on the wall in the hall in our place for a month - it was on the top floor and think it came in the window. One day when the lads were drunk they killed it with a cricket bat but it still regulary appears in my nightmares so I don't think living on a top floor will protect you!

Thanks for that!!! I dont do spiders! Im thinking 20 floors up

Thanks for that!!! I dont do spiders! Im thinking 20 floors up

Lol spiders are quite the climbers! I live on the fourth floor and we've them floatin about all the time. Sound bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Cronulla FTW!

Nothing like the shire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Most people like it.
    But some really dont.

*pokes dr bollocko repeatedly*

Ah ya know ya love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Hey mate,

There is a great town called Enmore right beside Newtown.
    Its like one endless main street of bars, cafes and restaurants.
    Only one Irish pub Kellys if you feel you must.
    There is also a great estate of town houses that you can rent by the week.
    You can choose to share a house with other or take on on your own.
    Far better than scabby, drunken, disgusting hostels with crusties.
    Only 20 minutes on bus into city and there is a huge park, swimming pool, supermarket etc.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Hey mate,

Only 20 minutes on bus into city and there is a huge park, swimming pool, supermarket etc.

And spiders? They were all chased out by some local patron saint? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

And spiders? They were all chased out by some local patron saint? :confused:

Well we had two funnel web spiders in our place but that was a rare occurance.
    If you live near Bondi you'd want to get used to brown hairy Huntsman spiders which are the size of dinner plates.

Spiders is just part and parcel of Oz. No matter where you go.
    Its the mozzies I'd be more worried about:pac:

Sorry for going OT (and there's information in there..)

So Dr. B what did you do on your trip to Australia?

Did you go to The Blue Mountains outside Sydney? Do the Coogee to Bondi walk? Visit the North Shore - Manly, Avalon and Palm Beach? Do the Bridge Climb? Go to a rubgy league or aussie football game? Check out the markets in Paddington or Glebe?

When you went up the Coast, what did you do? Head to Byron - go surfing? walk to the lighthouse? Do a skydive? Go to Brissy and do the theme parks near Sufers paradise? Do a bit of boogie boarding there?

Go to Fraiser Island and sail the Whitsundays and go to Whitehaven beach? Do some more skydiving at Mission Beach and whitewater raft on the Tully River? Get cheap dinners in the Woolshed in Cairns? Go out on the great barrier reef? Head up to the Daintree Rainforest where forest meets the reef? Have breakfast with all the Tropical birds???

Worked on one of the MANY fruit farms? Know and cherish the word Smoko? See Termite mounds at kakadu/litchfield national parks? Learn about the aboringal culture at Uluru? Sleep under the stars in a swag? Be in awe of the vastness of nothingness in the outback and the odd cyclist along the way? Go to an outback bar with topless barmaids? See dingos? see feral camels and horses? See dragon lizards? Be glad of a warm shower?

Go to the MCG and see Marty Clarke play for Collingwood? Head down to Brighton beach and see all the million dollar beach houses? Head to Ramsey Street? Take a riquetty tram down Chapel street? Eat in a cool cafe in Brunswick street? Have a walk down at the Docklands? Go to Chinatown? Head to the Dandenong Ranges?

Cycle around Rottnest Island? Sip wine from Margaret River region?Walk among the trees on the TreeTopWalk? Do some more surfing? Go work in a winery? Go snorkelling in the crystal clear waters?

Meet people from countries such as India, The Philippines, New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Spain, England, Wales, Scotland, France, The Netherlands, Italy, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Canada, Korea, Belguim, Sweden........

and NOT have a good time?????? :eek: It's all there to be enjoyed (and more, I just can't tihink of it all!). It's whether you go and bother to do something other than the pub!

Larianne wrote: »

Did you go to The Blue Mountains outside Sydney? Do the Coogee to Bondi walk? Visit the North Shore - Manly, Avalon and Palm Beach? Do the Bridge Climb? Go to a rubgy league or aussie football game? Check out the markets in Paddington or Glebe?

When you went up the Coast, what did you do? Head to Byron - go surfing? walk to the lighthouse? Do a skydive? Go to Brissy and do the theme parks near Sufers paradise? Do a bit of boogie boarding there?

Go to Fraiser Island and sail the Whitsundays and go to Whitehaven beach? Do some more skydiving at Mission Beach and whitewater raft on the Tully River? Get cheap dinners in the Woolshed in Cairns? Go out on the great barrier reef? Head up to the Daintree Rainforest where forest meets the reef? Have breakfast with all the Tropical birds???

Worked on one of the MANY fruit farms? Know and cherish the word Smoko? See Termite mounds at kakadu/litchfield national parks? Learn about the aboringal culture at Uluru? Sleep under the stars in a swag? Be in awe of the vastness of nothingness in the outback and the odd cyclist along the way? Go to an outback bar with topless barmaids? See dingos? see feral camels and horses? See dragon lizards? Be glad of a warm shower?

Go to the MCG and see Marty Clarke play for Collingwood? Head down to Brighton beach and see all the million dollar beach houses? Head to Ramsey Street? Take a riquetty tram down Chapel street? Eat in a cool cafe in Brunswick street? Have a walk down at the Docklands? Go to Chinatown? Head to the Dandenong Ranges?

Cycle around Rottnest Island? Sip wine from Margaret River region?Walk among the trees on the TreeTopWalk? Do some more surfing? Go work in a winery? Go snorkelling in the crystal clear waters?

Meet people from countries such as India, The Philippines, New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Spain, England, Wales, Scotland, France, The Netherlands, Italy, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Canada, Korea, Belguim, Sweden........

and NOT have a good time?????? :eek: It's all there to be enjoyed (and more, I just can't tihink of it all!). It's whether you go and bother to do something other than the pub!

Theres my time in OZ all planned now thanks! :P

And they have pubs too excellent :)

Very extreme imo. Fair enough you didn't like it but you can say that without completely slating the place. There are aspects I don't like and I can say that without coming across the way you do. There just seems to be a horrible bitter tone in your posts lately.

Fair point.
    I'll tone down the ole negativity in terms of slating the whole place.
    In fairness I was there for a year only and didnt exactly see the whole of the place so really I am no expert. But I think a bit of good ole internet slamming can give more than one side.
    Apologies OP. I hope you had a better time of it than I did!!!

Fair point.
    I'll tone down the ole negativity in terms of slating the whole place.
    In fairness I was there for a year only and didnt exactly see the whole of the place so really I am no expert. But I think a bit of good ole internet slamming can give more than one side.
    Apologies OP. I hope you had a better time of it than I did!!!

I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go, I actually enjoy reading your posts in general. I just thought maybe one big bad experience had left you with an impression that I wouldn't want anyone to have of Oz.

I understand where you're coming from though cause I fucking HATE Belgium and have said so in a number of threads!

Zamboni wrote: »
    Hey mate,

+1 I live in the enmore/newtown area and it is great!
    Irish pub is the most dodgiest pub around, but they do server bulmers on tap ;)

But honestly if you want to live near a beach, then I would say coogee/manly. But then everyone heads to these areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

yes i did all that !!! YAY GO ME !!!!!!!!

Also i would like too add to the list , going drinking with your boss 2/3 times a week and get paid for it :(

Ok thanks guys great imput, Bbbbbbbut from what ive been reading we are starting to lean towards a town hoping trip month here month there not settle for the few months in a row anywhere well at the start at least.

Opinions?

But looking at Hostels like the YHA in Syd its €600 for 2 weeks in a double room!! eeek any other short term options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Ok thanks guys great imput, Bbbbbbbut from what ive been reading we are starting to lean towards a town hoping trip month here month there not settle for the few months in a row anywhere well at the start at least.

Opinions?

But looking at Hostels like the YHA in Syd its €600 for 2 weeks in a double room!! eeek any other short term options?

To save a bit of money, I'd recommend staying in dorms while in Sydney (esp over Christmas) It's not ideal I know but when you get out of the city you'll get doubles for a lot cheaper. You can always book a double for one day out of the week for a bit of time to yourselves.

• Advertisement

Opinions?

Yeah get a dorm room.

Opinions?

YHA is the most expensive, hostel in sydney. try around darlinghurst/Kings cross area for cheaper options, although not as flash/clean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

From what i heard go anywhere but Sydney. Too many Irish there plus the place is ment to drag you down.

jank wrote: »
    From what i heard go anywhere but Sydney. Too many Irish there plus the place is ment to drag you down.
    Utter b*llox
    Sydney is what you make it, yes a lot of people come to sydney and want nothing more than to mix with irish. but that is up to the individual, if they do that then they have no one to blame but themselves.

Sydney would never drag you down.

Relax!!
    I have never been but most people i know that went said get out of Sydney ASAP. You can easily get stuck in a rut.
    Obviously its not a going to apply for everyone but alot of people fall into that trap from what i heard.

Relax!!
    I have never been but most people i know that went said get out of Sydney ASAP. You can easily get stuck in a rut.
    Obviously its not a going to apply for everyone but alot of people fall into that trap from what i heard.

What happens is a lot of people start in Sydney and blow all there money there within a few weeks thinking they are on some extended Ibiza holiday.

They then get a job but the job is only good enough to sustain them, they never manage to save enough to continue traveling. This can happen in any city, but does seem like it happens to more people who start in Sydney.

Best bet if you start in Sydney is be very careful with your money. The majority of the money you bring over should be used to travel, and do the adventure/tourist stuff, obviously some of the money you bring over you will need to get yourself set-up but most of it should be kept.

• Advertisement

Yeah get a dorm room.

Want to avoid the Dorm rooms if possible so have to find a cheaper option.

We are thinking now Get to sydney spend a week (first week in Dec) head to Melbourne for 2 weeks then back to Sydney for xmas and new year then spend a month traveling up the coast before the trip back home. 4 a week

By then we will know where we want to spend the last 3 months, Melbourne, Sydney or maybe even Brisbane....

What happens is a lot of people start in Sydney and blow all there money there within a few weeks thinking they are on some extended Ibiza holiday.

They then get a job but the job is only good enough to sustain them, they never manage to save enough to continue traveling. This can happen in any city, but does seem like it happens to more people who start in Sydney.

Best bet if you start in Sydney is be very careful with your money. The majority of the money you bring over should be used to travel, and do the adventure/tourist stuff, obviously some of the money you bring over you will need to get yourself set-up but most of it should be kept.

Yea, totally agree. More Irish in sydney means that you are still in your cosy drinking envirnoment where in other places one has to make more of an effort to get out and about.

Want to avoid the Dorm rooms if possible so have to find a cheaper option.

We are thinking now Get to sydney spend a week (first week in Dec) head to Melbourne for 2 weeks then back to Sydney for xmas and new year then spend a month traveling up the coast before the trip back home. 4 a week

By then we will know where we want to spend the last 3 months, Melbourne, Sydney or maybe even Brisbane....

If you're going to be somewhere for New Year's, getting there at the start of December might get you some decent accomadation. You'd be crazy to leave Sydney and then think you'll get accomadation after heading down to Melbourne (where you might find it hard to get accom there as well).

Your plans seem a bit all over the place to be honest. Do your few weeks stint in Sydney, New Years at the harbour etc. Then head up coast and finish in Melbourne and if you don't like it there (I cannot see why! Love the place) head to Perth or back to Sydney.

November/December is very very busy time in Sydney, like crazy. So plan ahead or you'll be sleeping on someones floor, if you're lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Brad Goodman

I'm flying into Australia around 1 December from SE Asia. Was thinking of flying to the Gold Coast then hiring a camper van and driving down to Sydney. Anyone any advice for me or better anyone heading that way and want to share driving responsibility?!

Relax!!
    Sorry, no offense ;) , Yes people come to Sydney and just pretty stay with in 10km of bondi, Melb can be the same too, it depends on where people land, which in most cases is Sydney.
    People arrive with Cash, blow it all, then start to work, then blow it then work ... and never have the motivation to go until near the end.
    but sydney is what you make it, fantastic city, and I always shake my head when people say they never heard of Glebe/Balmain/Newtown .. :)

• Advertisement

If you're going to be somewhere for New Year's, getting there at the start of December might get you some decent accomadation. You'd be crazy to leave Sydney and then think you'll get accomadation after heading down to Melbourne (where you might find it hard to get accom there as well).

Thinking of booking it all now just to be sure, thinking of a hotel for a few days over xmas in Sydney.
    Your plans seem a bit all over the place to be honest. Do your few weeks stint in Sydney, New Years at the harbour etc. Then head up coast and finish in Melbourne and if you don't like it there (I cannot see why! Love the place) head to Perth or back to Sydney.

November/December is very very busy time in Sydney, like crazy. So plan ahead or you'll be sleeping on someones floor, if you're lucky!

Isnt Melbourne south of Sydney dont think headin up the coast then back down is the way to go. We dont want to get caught in the rut of sydney spend all our cash then not want to see the rest of the place so we think.
    Arrive in Sydney spend a few days/week
    - then Mel spend 2 weeks
    - then start our UPward route bak to Sydney for xmas and new years
    - then off up the coast as far as cairns for a month then we can settle down in which ever city took our fancy....

Thinking of booking it all now just to be sure, thinking of a hotel for a few days over xmas in Sydney.

flashpacker:rolleyes:

;)

Nothing wrong with this.

It was only a joke nothing wrong with it if you can afford it. Although you will miss out on some of the craic you get in the hostels, but you will obviously have more comfort in a hotel. Pros and cons.

It was only a joke nothing wrong with it if you can afford it. Although you will miss out on some of the craic you get in the hostels, but you will obviously have more comfort in a hotel. Pros and cons.

Sure only for a few days it is xmas after all :)

Now back to business, where should we stay in Melbourne? any hostel recommendations?

Or Brisbane heard alot of good things about there may end up as our long term stopping point.

Sure only for a few days it is xmas after all :)

Now back to business, where should we stay in Melbourne? any hostel recommendations?

Or Brisbane heard alot of good things about there may end up as our long term stopping point.

For Melbourne I would say Base Hostel in St.Kilda.

For Brisbane we stayed in City BAckpackers which was really nice once you don't stay in the 30 person dorm like we did to save money.

Isnt Melbourne south of Sydney dont think headin up the coast then back down is the way to go. We dont want to get caught in the rut of sydney spend all our cash then not want to see the rest of the place so we think.
    Arrive in Sydney spend a few days/week
    - then Mel spend 2 weeks
    - then start our UPward route bak to Sydney for xmas and new years
    - then off up the coast as far as cairns for a month then we can settle down in which ever city took our fancy....

This is where we stayed last New Year's when my parents came over. Got breakfast and we sneaked a few dinners in as well... hehe http://http://www.thewomenscollege.com.au/casual-accomodation.php Just an idea if all the hotels are ridiculously expensive and its about 10 min bus ride into the city.

Yes, Melbourne is south but if you're starting off in Sydney then you're gonna have to double back somewhere! Would it not be better to fly from Cairns to Melbourne or do a loop in some way?

We stayed in Urban Central Backpackers in Melbourne. It's near the Casino ;) and on 3 tram lines.

have a plan as it saves time and money, especially when its the busy times and you're trying to find accomdation. Pick up a YHA or VIP card and you can get discounts on ALOT of things over there. Just ask!!

Thanks for that! Larianne

Whos the Ryanair of Austraila?

Thanks for that! Larianne

Whos the Ryanair of Austraila?

There's 3 - Jetstar, Virgin Blue and the new one, Tiger Airways. Out of the 3, Virgin Blue is the best, service wise. It's like Ryanair, you pay for what you get and the further you book in advance the cheaper it is. They sometimes have really good sales as well.

http://http://www.virginblue.com.au/

http://http://www.tigerairways.com/home/index.php

http://http://www.jetstar.com/au/index.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement