Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camo gear materials

• 14-07-2008 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a decent set of BDUs, woodland camo, as I had a cheap pair but want to get some more durable ones, I was looking through some sites last night and seen a pair that were identical but the materials where different, one was 100% cotton, the other I think was 50% cotton, 50% polyester.

What is the best material to get?, I'm looking to get a pair that'll last a good while and wont rip if I get caught on something. Zip combat pockets would be a plus too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Everything rips when its caught, just a fact of life. You can mitigate this by getting BDU's in "rip-stop" material. These have a re-enforced hatch pattern of thread which acts like a seam when you snag on something greatly reducing the ripping and tearing problem.

Also, if you are going to buy any non-standard issue gear (i.e., not actually issued to the army) then be prepared to spend either an afternoon re-enforcing the seam lines in the crotch or a half day wandering around G-Tac looking for the bit of your bell-end that tore off after you tore your pants.

This is a fairly simple procedure (whereas bell-end reattachment is not) where you take extra thick thread and sew a spiral stitch (like a spiral binding on a paper document) along the same line as the stitching in your gear. If you do it right it should prevent tearing of both kinds.

Make sure you arent wearing your BDU when you start the sewing or to the emergency room you will go.

The stitching on the BDU style (being cheap copies) is notorious for splitting, especially around the seat, crotch and pockets. the thread used is very thin and the stitching itself isnt actually done properly so they tend to have a short shelf life without alteration. Once you have the hang of it though the material they are made from is generally tough enough for most airsofting and should survive a quite a while.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you want woodland kinda stuff consider British Army Standard issue DPM. Its very strong stuff, is very cheap so if it does rip just replace it and its good and warm for Irish weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

http://gotactical.ie/

Check out this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Kristov

have a look on ebay for a store called "bidchart" they do the version 3 ripstop bdu`s in all camo types.
    ive been using the woodland version for a couple months now and its verysrtong no rips and the pockets have very strong velcro to keep them closed also they come with velcro for your name tapes and patch on the chest and upper arm .

only one bad thing is the buttons fall off but easily fixed .

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

greta stuff thanks guys.

I'm not looking for a indestructible gear just stuff that'll last a few rough interactions, say where cheap gear would give up :)

I seen that ripstop pop up a few times, had no idea what it meant. I'll check out the sites tho, velcro arm/name parts will be cool too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

You really are better off going with the mil issue stuff, buy once cry once and all that. Plus mil issue will have a great re-sale value if its the wrong type or you stop playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

You really are better off going with the mil issue stuff, buy once cry once and all that. Plus mil issue will have a great re-sale value if its the wrong type or you stop playing.

Do you mean ex military gear? What are the best sites to look for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I think Shiva had some USMC BDUs a while back.

I bought some stuff Here, good prices and delivery time IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 s3amus

Have a look at

http://flecktarn.co.uk/mainsearch.php?zoom_query=?*?&zoom_cat[]=12

Issue Shirts and trousers

Advertisement