Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second date ideas

Options
  • 14-07-2008 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

Help!! I'm going on a second date this Wednesday evening and am completely stuck for somewhere to go/something to do. Our first date was great, we just went for a few drinks and had a chat and got to know each other. So now that I've realised I really like this guy, I want to do something more memorable for our second date. Something that shows I've put a bit of thought into it....or that ye've put a bit of thought into it! I wouldn't be opposed to something involving a bit of physical exertion (hee hee) but hot, red and sweaty isn't really the look I'm going for. Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Some idea of age/budget/interests?

Generally I'd go for dinner though!

hmm food

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I dunno, dinner is a little too intimate for a second date. This early on there's always the possibility of awkward silences... that really puts a dampener on things.

Gigs are always a good idea. You don't have to make conversation from start to finish as it gives you something else to focus your concentration on and provides talking points for afterwards.

They're also good because the loud music means you have to get in close to talk to somebody, which makes pulling those cheap moves a little easier :pac:

I don't know about putting thought into it though... that's generally where my ideas fall down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭NervousNude

Dataisgod wrote: »
    Some idea of age/budget/interests?

Generally I'd go for dinner though!

hmm food

I'm 22 and he's 24. I think dinner is a little full on at this stage. All that 'what to order' panic, 'food in my teeth' crisis, 'oh cr*p i drank 3/4 of a bottle of wine' dilemma. :o

I like the idea of a gig, anyone know of anything good on this week? I think both of us would be open to most types of music.

I'm being stumped by the timing I think, it's much easier to come up with something adventurous at the weekend where you have a whole day to play around with. Evening's after work are a little harder...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

There's not much, tbh. You're kinda sandwiched between *a well know festival that just took place* and the Analog festival next weekend.

Guggenheim Grotto are playing in Doyle's but that's tonight.

Have a look for some Dublin (I'm assuming you're in Dublin) events guides on the web and see if there's anything interesting going on. There's one here:

http://entertainment.ie/music/gig-listings.asp

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Comedy night @ the International. Not the most inventive but you'll have a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Comedy night @ the International. Not the most inventive but you'll have a good time.

+1 Good times to be had there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

^ +1 to the comedy night. I love standup comedy shows and i reckon it'd be a great place to go on the second date!

Aspiration wrote: »
    ^ +1 to the comedy night. I love standup comedy shows and i reckon it'd be a great place to go on the second date!

I love this idea, but the date is on Wednesday and the International's only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Maybe I should postpone the date.....but I don't know if I can't wait that long!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Comedy night, dinner, bowling.....something along those lines maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There's a well known English Comedian playing at a theatre in Dame Street Wednesday.

he is on tour at the moment. I can't tell you who it is though as it is hosted by you know who:D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I love this idea, but the date is on Wednesday and the International's only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Maybe I should postpone the date.....but I don't know if I can't wait that long!!! :p
    No, it's open on Wednesday too - they host the Comedy Cellar (upstairs, strangely) every Wednesday night at 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

No, it's open on Wednesday too - they host the Comedy Cellar (upstairs, strangely) every Wednesday night at 9.

Yup. Here's a link with more info.

http://www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/15/pt/0/spid/AC4C83AA-5975-47F4-A29C41E62272AB9C/resetcache/1/cachelist/

Definitely check out the International NervousNude, it'd be great date!

There's the Capital Comedy Club too on the Quays: http://www.dublinevents.com/events//comedy/capitalcomedy.php

Duffy's Circus is also on in Goatstown... http://www.dublinevents.com/events/children/duffyscircus.php

...That's the child in me! Haven't been to the circus in years... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I don't know about comedy with someone you don't know very well, remember that scene from The Nutty Professor? What if the comedian is one of those who likes to interact with the audience? (The type I can't stand!!:mad:)

Like Jason Byrne? He got my friend on the stage at one of his shows a few months ago and the poor fella had to do the River Dance at the end. He was mortified but saw the funny side of it afterwards. I guess it depends on what kind of sense of humour you have. If you really don't want to interact with the comedian, stay in the middle towards the back of the audience and don't wear anything that'll make you stand out from the crowd :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The Circus would be a great idea! Or what about go on the Ghost Bus tour?? Although it doesn't really get dark early so might be a bit of a dampner cos it's not dark.

Thanks for all your suggestions, seriously helpful! I think I'm going to go with the circus - who doesn't like to relive their candy floss filled childhood ;) During all my searching I actually found loads of stuff coming up in Dublin that's perfect date material - hopefully this lasts long enough to go to some of them!

Best of luck NervousNude! The circus will be great fun! Let us know how you get on!

Adrieanne, the fact that it's bright til late would make me go! I'm scared sh*tless of ghost stories but then it's a good excuse to cuddle up to your date ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

What about the Zoo???.

Is always good and if you run out of stuff to talk about you can just look at the animals and stuff.

No one goes to the Zoo anymore, what happened it used to be so popular.

The date is Wednesday evening :)

But yeah for a day date the Zoo would be class! Another idea OP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

The Zoo would be fun. I recently took my sister (aged 6) there. Tbh, it was a bit dead, animals were mainly sleeping but it would be fun with a bf.

(My bf took me there at the start of our relationship and I had just moved to Dublin. It wasn't great but that was because he took his neice and didn't really have a lot of time for me)

Aspiration - yes, I can't stand Jason Byrne. Or PJ Gallagher for that matter. It's not even that I don't want the comedian to interact with me, I find it boring when they interact with random strangers from the audience. I paid to see you tell jokes, not to hear about "Mary" from "Drimnagh" tells us all about her cat! If you don't have enough material, don't be a stand-up!

/off topic rant

NervousDude, circus sounds like a winner. Just make sure your intended isn't afraid of clowns! (I'm being serious, that can happen)

Advertisement