Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

india questions

• 14-07-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

looking to get info on india, is 2 months to much.. not going to goa.. will be north west mostly...

also is it worth the extra for 1st class or is 2ac ok and safe etc

it is a couple going so any info would be great:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

It all depends what you want to see- if you wanted to see all of India then 6 months probably wouldn't be enough, its a huge place.

But with 2 months you could take in all of the north ( Kashmir, Ladakk, McLeod Ganj ) as well as doing the traditional triangle ( Delhi-Agra for the Taj Mahal to Jaipur back to Delhi ) or even carrying on from Jaipur to go into deeper Rajastan. Another option would be to head over to Varanassi to see the Ganges and the funeral ceremonies that take place.

If you only want to stick to places west and north of Delhi Id say 2 months is enough time except if you want to do some extended treking up in Kashmir or Ladakk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

thanks for help, we will be flying into calcutta from bangkok, how long did you spend there and any big tips on the country etc?

getting the indiarail pass thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I spent about 5 weeks there during which time I did the Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Delhi triangle and then I headed north first to McLeod Ganj then Manali-Leh-Srinagar and back to Delhi. I did some treking in Kashmir which was excellent.

As for tips- if you get Delhi Belly from the curries then stick to eating Tandoori chicken and naan bread, its a bit safer than curries ( although they are delicious- the food is a highlight of India in itself )

Be streetwise- it is admired in India to try to rip off tourists, we are seen as fair game. Taxi drivers and rickshaws are the main protagonists but it can come from anywhere. Always agree a price and a destination before you get in, its also not uncommon for them to take you somewhere they'll get commission. Ignore any stories of a place being closed/burnt down/can't find it and make sure to have a hard neck if you hear stories of a drivers kid needing cash for a life saving operation.

That said dont spend all your holiday worrying about these things, if you do get ripped off its not likely to be for much anyway but just be aware that it does happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yea, 2nd A/C is fine. Pack as lightly as you can, makes train travel easier. Just thing like lugging bags up and down the little bridges they have to get to platforms can hard with a big bag.
    I don't know much about the north west, I'm in the north east at the moment, which is a great place to live, but only really worth going as a tourist at festival time (Oct/Nov) to see the tribal culture. Also, if the culture shock is too crazy, or you just don't like India, the north east is a great place to go - very like northern Thailand.
    One thing about the Taj - be careful with the prepaid taxis. They take you to a mountain of carpet/ marble shops between stops. It's easier to just get a taxi to where ever you want to see.

Advertisement