Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really would love a kitten.

Options
  • 14-07-2008 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Right, here's the situation, I'm 19 and have always wanted to get a cat, now the problem is I live at home and my fater owns a three year old golden retriver and I'm worried about how the dog will react to a new family member (ie: the cat).

Our house has an upstairs and a downstairs, and I have no problem letting the cat sleep in my room.

So here are my questions:

Do you think the dog might be able to get used to a cat?
    Would it be ok to let the cat sleep in my room? (health reasons).
    And how much space would a cat need to live happily?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi there,

Before we answer those questions, have you thought about the following?

- You're only 19 - what happens when you go to college and move out? Or decide to move for work?
    - If you have to rent, what happens to the cat? (note that very few places will allow animals)
    - If you decide to take a year out and travel/move to Oz, what happens to the cat?

A cat can live for 20 years or more. Honestly. I've recently spoken to a friend about her 26 year old cat!!!!!!!

I'm just concerned because there are SO many people rehoming cats because their 'personal circumstances' have changed ... and they're not willing to make the sacrafices that having a cat requires. I'm not at all doubting your ability to look after and care for a cat, but to get a pet, you REALLY need to think long term.

Just food for thought.

P.S Yes there is no reason and cat and dog can't live happily together, but it will require training and supervision ... and I don't think I'd leave them alone unattended!

Cats are great. I'm fostering two at the moment. I'm nearly 28 and won't consider getting a pet for keeps until I have secured my future living arrangements ... i.e have bought a house of my own. I couldn't face having to rehome, and it's not fair on the animal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hiya, dogs get used to cats all the time but it depends on the dogs temperment. You would have to be prepared to put in a lot of time and training and be on your guard for a long time. It can be done though.:)

Space wise, they do need exercise, but are generally lazy animals. Sleeping 18-20 hours a day! A few hours of playing with your cat would be more important than all the space in the world because once they realise they don't NEED to do anything, most will be perfectly happy to sit around getting no exercise at all. Obviously bad for them.

I let my cats sleep in the room on occasion, I don't have a problem with it. But I know my fiance hates it and thinks its unhygienic, so I can't really answer that. I don't really know.

The only thing I would be aware of is cats can live to 20 years old. You're 19, within that cats lifetime you will most likely move out of home, into rented accommodation. What will happen to your cat then? What if you decide you want to travel, or end up having to travel with work or something. Sounds cliche but a cat is for life, so make sure you can look after it for life.

If you get a cat, please be sure to get it neutered. Only saying it bacuse of a situation my friend has recently gone through due to an owner not spaying her cat then moving away, leaving a pregnant mother AND a fairly young litter.

EDIT: Got there before me Glowing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Thank you very much for your replys,

I'm in college (second year) but live at home due to it just being handy. I have the money to buy my own place but not till I'm 21, so renting won't be an issue :).

If I decide to travel my mother would have no issue minding the cat, she loves them to bits. :)

I'd also like to add I had a cat when I was a kid (more of a family cat really though) so I know I really like them. :)

I would be getting it neutered just like the dog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Thank you very much for your replys,

I'm in college (second year) but live at home due to it just being handy. I have the money to buy my own place but not till I'm 21, so renting won't be an issue :).

If I decide to travel my mother would have no issue minding the cat, she loves them to bits. :)

I'd also like to add I had a cat when I was a kid (more of a family cat really though) so I know I really like them. :)

I would be getting it neutered just like the dog. :)

Sounds like you have it sorted so! :pac:

I'm trying to rehome a kitten (and an older cat) at the moment (see the homes needed thread) - he might suit your situation!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Glowing wrote: »
    Sounds like you have it sorted so! :pac:

I'm trying to rehome a kitten (and an older cat) at the moment (see the homes needed thread) - he might suit your situation!! :D
    I'll check it now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Hi Captain Ginger,
    If you're prepared to keep the cat indoors, kitten adoption have lots of kittens looking for homes.

http://www.kittenadoption.org/catDog.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Bring your dog around to a friend that has a cat and see what his reaction is. Unless he is willing to go for the kill then I think you stand a very good chance with them but be sure never to leave them alone until the kitten is a cat and you are 100% sure they are living well together. Could always be a problem if your dog doesn't like sharing his food If you leave out dry food make sure the bowl is full before and after kittie has been about so he doesn't think kittie is getting it all. Golden retrievers are a very loving and gentle dog so it should be OK.And as long as kittie is wormed and had it's flea drops there is no reason she can't stay in your room maybe let her sleep in a carrier with a mini litter tray and some food and water at night so you don't roll over on her till she is a little bigger. My carrier is on the bed at night and kittie only go's to sleep when he has a finger or two to hug up to.

Try kitten adoption or cats aid if you don't see what you are looking for in the rehoming thread, only take a kittie that someone is happy to have back if it doesn't work out make arrangements before you leave with Kittie.

Most of all have fun with them nothing like a good atmosphere to help them get on.

good luck.:)

Advertisement