Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car getting NCT'd tomorrow - Question!

Options
  • 14-07-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, my motor is getting NCT'd tomorrow at lunch time. I just rang there to confirm date and time and payment method. The woman then reminded me to bring the vehicle registration certificate. I had completely forgotten about this and currently I am not 100% sure of where it is. I'm heading home in a bit to have a look for it but worse case scenario, and I can't find it this afternoon.......how can I go about getting my hands on a copy? Is it totally necessary to have it to put the car through the test? Any way around it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've never needed the registration certificate in about 10 visits to the NCT with various cars. That's not to say they can't ask for it, in my experience, they never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

The same happened me. I had my NCT in Kells. Drove up to Navan before realizing I hadn't got the cert. Drove all the way back to Dublin to get it, and ended up I was never even asked for it before the test.

I was told by the fella there that you only need it if it hasn't been NCT'ed before as it won't be on their system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

I believe that it is a random selection with regard to actually examining the Log Book to match against the car. I would however imagine that you would get away with it, as i dont know anyone who has actually had to produce it yet. I have no doubt that the boards will prove me wrong, but I reckong go for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭StillBallygowan

when i got my NCT done on my previous car back in March i forgot my certificate but i was never asked to produce it. they carried out the test regardless. i wouldn't panic over it.
    good luck with the NCT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've never been asked for it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Cheers for the quick replies lads.

Ok so it doesn't sound too bad going by what ye have said. My car is a 00, so the fact that it has been through the NCT before should help me. I'll leave it until tonight to have a look for it so, but won't lose much sleep if I can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

Never been asked for anything apart from payment! They don't take cheques without the card anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

You're safe enough unless the chassis number on the nct system is different to the car, in that case they look for the tax book to compare, if its not available I think they fail you and you produce the tax book as a retest. If all details are ok there's no need for the tax book (AFAIK).

If there is a problem i'll just show them a €50 note and tell em keep the change. Can't see them saying no to that tbh! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've only had to VRT one car, but I didn't need the cert either

• Advertisement

Just to follow up.....passed the NCT today and no I was not asked for that cert. The only panic involved was the fact that I had to do 4 hours of driving (160 miles) in the morning Limerick - Macroom - Limerick and 2 hours of work in between. All this before getting to the NCT centre for 2.00.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

:cool:

Always good to have a happy ending.:)

Advertisement