Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Sharm El Sheikh

• 14-07-2008 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

hi all,

trying to plan a scuba diving trip to sharm leaving mid october

i see from searching that others have been there before

what airlines/packages did you use as I'm trying to find a good deal

thanks
    mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mickc wrote: »
    hi all,

trying to plan a scuba diving trip to sharm leaving mid october

i see from searching that others have been there before

what airlines/packages did you use as I'm trying to find a good deal

thanks
    mick

I went with falcon Holidays, but that was a family holiday with a bit of diving on the side. They fly direct from Dublin as do Budget i think (On the same plane) there was also a Monarch flight going at the same time, but I'm not sure who that was chartered by.

If you want scheduled flights, you may have to go via London/Paris etc.

For what I was afer the diving was great, the centre we used had a speed boat that left at sparrows fart so you could get to the reefs before the day boats got there. All the hotels have access to Diving Centres, but Falon are linked with these guys http://www.aquariusredsea.com/DivingCenters/DstCnts.aspx?Dst=2&Cnt=4 who were very good.

We stayed here http://www.falconholidays.ie/holiday/index.cfm?step=accommodation_details&si=0009EBA8%2D456F%2D187B%2D936A8391B8FD0000

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

what was the name as that link only shows a search page for me

thanks

mickc wrote: »
    what was the name as that link only shows a search page for me

thanks

oh yeah:confused:

we stayed at the holiday village, they call it the red sea riviera, but it is basically Sharm.

if you are looking for hammerheads, August is good but we went in april and it was getting on for 40degrees most days so god knows what August will be like.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheEx

I was there in March, flew with First Choice from Manchester to Sharm, had to take the Aer Lingus to Manchester myself but it was a reasonably good deal. I booked the diving with Activeadventures.co.uk. I dived off a boat every day for 6 days, had a ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RINO87

i went in late feb of this year, got a flight only deal with falcon for about 300 return!!

the diving and snorkelling off ros mohammed was fantastic, watch out for the tourist boats tho!!

i really reccomend getting a bus up to dahab, a real laid back place with some great dive centres, sharm is a very fake and surreal place, altho you can get boats to ros mohammed anytime of the day for half nothing!

300 return seems very cheap, you got very lucky

what/where was your hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RINO87

the 300 was for the flight only. stayed in an apartment in the sol-y-mar sharming inn, which has its own diving centre, not great but not bad either. its a very touristy hotel, but the guys in the dive centre will give you a lift out to/from the boats in their truck for free!!
    plus theres some nice snorkelling just across the road!

Just a suggestion, which depends on what sort of diving you want to do.

I went with Aquarius who have got a speed boat. If you only want to do one dive a day it is great. they head off at about 8am and get out to the dive sites before evryone else. when you come back at 9:30/10ish you will see the advantage as the red sea turns into piccadilly circus!!

Its great if you don't fancy spending a whole day on a boat as you will be back in you hotel by around 11:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

On that note, who do people recommend diving with in Sharm?

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »
    On that note, who do people recommend diving with in Sharm?

Aquarius are the only ones I have been with, but they are very good. Mo who runs the sheraton centre is very strict and is very safety conscious. The gear is good too, all pretty new and well looked after.

emperor diving center is attached to our hotel

or

red sea diving seems good

anyone used either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

i dived with emperor in jan last year from hurgada. they are a very good operation. very safe, had my own gear but the stuff they were handing out was in excellent condition.

did 5 days on boat going out at 7am coming back at 7pm and doing 3 dives a day. was reasonably cheap aswell.

would recommend them

Advertisement