Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peregrine Falcon?

• 14-07-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I went for a walk down around Poolbeg early on Saturday morning when i heard what i thought at the time were gulls calling from the red and white chimmneys. On further inspection i could see they were actually a pair of i'm guessing Peregrine Falcons. They were calling to each other but were quite high up so i couldn't positively id them. Does anyone know if they are nesting on the site? I do know the calls of Sparrowhawks and Kestrels and i don't think it was them (well 99% sure). Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

There is a very good chance they were peregrines. I was working in that area a number of years back and saw peregrine hunting along Sandymount Strand. I know there were a pair nesting in the Ringsend area for a number of seasons too.

I will be out that direction in a few days time. I'll bring the scope with me and have a gander!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

That would be great to find out boneless thanks.

There was a lot to be seen there on Saturday. Around the nature reserve there were lots of reed buntings both adult and fledglings, stonechats (adult and fledgings), meadow pipits and skylarks as well well as plenty of finches mainly green and goldfinches. There weren't that many waders about mainly redshank, curlew a couple of Black tailed Godwits and oystercatchers. Plenty of black headed gulls and I also saw Heron and little egret fishing.

It really is a great area and the fact that it is so close to the city makes it a great aminety...

Advertisement