Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trekking in north county dublin?

Options
  • 14-07-2008 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

my little one is mad to go horse riding. but lessons are a bit expensive for us so i'd like to maybe go for a trek with her. is there anywhere in north county dublin or south louth, meath area thats good place for a decent trek.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SandraG

Try Kinsealy Riding Centre or Broadmeadows in Ashbourne Co.Meath - both great!
    Also if you go down to some stables sometimes they have children there helping muck out, tack up, groom etc etc in exchange for cheap or sometimes free lessons, maybe your little un could do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

thanks for that. i'll try ashbourne first,its a bit nearer. she's horse mad. but with irish dancing,swimming etc...paying for lessons just isnt viable at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SandraG

Well Broadmeadows are brilliant! i horseshare there and get private lessons, they have 100 acres of hacking area and have brill ponies/horses. Hope you have fun! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

rang 2 places today inc broadmedows and neither did trekking and have to say neither were very helpfull or pleasant on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 LungeLady

There is a new trekking centre opened up between leixlip and dunboyne - you can get them at <snip> they cater specifically for trekking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭katiemac

Does anybody know of a good riding stables in the area above that does trekking, cross country?
    I have heard that some stables are closing due to the high cost of insurance cover for their visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

It's a good few years since I've been there but there is a small AIRE registered yard in Oldtown, Co. Dublin (near Ashbourne) which at this time of year ran treks out across the stubble fields, jumping a few ditches aswell on the way. They're in the phone book- might be worth giving them a ring. They do a lot of lessons and hacks for kids aswell and have kids helping out for the day to get a free ride on the ponies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 AIMEE")

ashtown stables in dublin do treking out in the phionex park. They are right bside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DAHegarty

I'm trying to get in touch with Ashtown Stables also but the numbers I have found doesn't seem to work. Does anybody have a number for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

DAHegarty wrote: »
    I'm trying to get in touch with Ashtown Stables also but the numbers I have found doesn't seem to work. Does anybody have a number for them?

If anybody does have the number can they please avoid posting it in the thread and PM DAHegarty instead. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ann81

I've been to Ravensdale Lodge in Louth and found them very good, nice horses for riders of all sizes and experience, plenty of different treks in beautiful scenery.

For contact just google ravensdale lodge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

I know it's further north then the first thread wanted, but Ravensdale Lodge, Co. Louth is fantastic. I trained to be an instructer in the UK & came over to Ireland 7 yrs ago (unfortunately working in an office since), and have searched high and low for a top rate stables with top class horses in the area. Ravensdale is certainly both. The location is just breath taking but it is the quality of the horses that speaks for itself. I haven't been there often due to lack of time, but every time I've been I've found the staff most friendly and helpful, the place immaculate, and the horses very well cared for and schooled. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this place to anyone, whether they are experienced or not, whatever they want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

you could try www.leinsterlodgeequestriancentre.com in Maynooth. They do trekking and have xc course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

Hey!

Have you tired Thorton Park Equestrian Park, Im nearly sure they do trekking!
    Check out their website: http://www.thorntonpark.ie/

Advertisement