Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ways of speeding up waiting time for test?

Options
  • 14-07-2008 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

My nephew needs to get a test done as fast as possible. If he has a letter from his employer can this speed up the process?

He has already applied for the test online last week. Would it be a case of forwarding a letter from employer to the RSA?

How quickly can a test be done then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭techdiver

My nephew needs to get a test done as fast as possible. If he has a letter from his employer can this speed up the process?

He has already applied for the test online last week. Would it be a case of forwarding a letter from employer to the RSA?

It's pot luck really at this stage how long he waits. The average waiting time in the media is nowhere near the actual wait for a test. He could be lucky and get it within 8 weeks (unlikely), or he could be like me and wait over 20 weeks. All you can do is try and contact the RSA driving test phone line (good luck with that), or write a letter etc. They don't seem to take much of it into account at the moment because of the amount of people in the same position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I done my test in late 2006 and i used a letter from an employer at the time and it was very quick at the time. I got the test within 4 weeks when the waiting time was about 30 weeks. Would definitely recommend the letter from the employer and ring them and explain and they will say to send the letter on with the application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

I was talking to the RSA last week about speeding up a test date. They told me that they are not accepting employers letters for the foreseeable future in relation to applications. Though they did tell me to expect a letter within 2 weeks which would make my wait time around 8 weeks in total which isnt bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I applied for the test online 6 weeks ago and sent in an employers letter. I got a letter at the end of last week and rang SGS to be told it'll be another 5 weeks before they get a date for me soo no, it won't make a difference as there is a massive backlog at the moment.

1/5 people aren't even appearing for their test, loads are cancelling also yet there is still no chance I'll get to sit my test for another 5 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

SnoozyS wrote: »
    I was talking to the RSA last week about speeding up a test date. They told me that they are not accepting employers letters for the foreseeable future in relation to applications. Though they did tell me to expect a letter within 2 weeks which would make my wait time around 8 weeks in total which isnt bad
    Actually it's quite bad. The problem with Ireland is that people accept things if they're done to a mediocre level.. this is why the country is <SNIP> and nothing changes. I don't see a proper reason why you can't be tested within 2 weeks at max. It's Ireland, there's not _THAT_ many people. Why can't they get the finger out? It's not bad compared to what you could be waiting, sure, but that's an absolute disgrace.
    Rb wrote: »
    I applied for the test online 6 weeks ago and sent in an employers letter. I got a letter at the end of last week and rang SGS to be told it'll be another 5 weeks before they get a date for me soo no, it won't make a difference as there is a massive backlog at the moment.

1/5 people aren't even appearing for their test, loads are cancelling also yet there is still no chance I'll get to sit my test for another 5 weeks.

lol, such <SNIP> :\ way to fix that is a 1k+ fine if they don't show or dont have a seriously valid reason for not showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

challengemaster, i think i have made myself very clear about my stance towards swearing on this forum, cool it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

I applied for my test at the Tallaght test centre 2 months ago. Got my date today, for the 3rd September in the Fonthill test centre. So I phoned SGS Ireland (they're number was on the letter) and told them I wanted to be tested in Tallaght. The girl on the phone told me the soonest I could be tested in Tallaght would be the 2nd of August if I wanted :confused: (why they didn't just give me this date in the first place I do not know!).

Anyway, it'd probably be worth your while giving them a ring and seeing if there are any openings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

My boss in work said he would give me a letter to go with my driving test application this time round to speed things up. I have a few questions though.

How long should i expect to wait with a letter from work, does it really make a big difference?

I heard that any applicants with letters are sat with the RSA, none are forwarded to SGS, is this true? I'd prefer SGS, the lads in RSA in Kilkenny just get right to the core of my nerves, just ignorant. Some are alright but the old timers are like rusty nails.

Threads Merged.
    TheElf, i can see it making little to no difference these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Threads Merged.
    TheElf, i can see it making little to no difference these days.

I was thinking that. I had a friend who applied at the same time as I did for my last test, she had a letter from work I didn't, and she only got her test about 3 days before mine. Doesn't seem worth it really I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

couldn't make things worse though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Doesn't really make a difference, I was offered a letter from my employer but never bothered. Got my test date within 6 weeks from SGS. A friend of mine submitted with an employers letter around the same time and got two weeks after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I think your best bet is to ring them and explain the circumstances. If you're lucky there might be a cancellation and they could fit you in.

A guy I know did this, and got two tests in two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Smileylynz

I applied for my test in March and only got a date at the end of May. This date was 4th July ( In the letter I stated I would be on holidays from 20th June to 6th July) so I had to cxl it. I am still waiting to be re-scheduled!

I've tried calling but both numbers on the page have a constant engaged tone!

Any advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Guys Failed my test and would like to know quickest way of speeding it up to get the date for the new one.

I done mine with SGS and wondering if i put in that i have applied for the test before and give my Reference Number on the RSA website will i get it quicker??

In short, no, you will not get it quicker, just apply asap. Test dates are down a lot, so you might get lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

I applied for my test with a letter from my employer back in June, had test with 2 and a half weeks... The letter must state thet you need the licence TO WOTRK and not just to get TO/FROM work... My letter stated that I have a need to travel from one factory to another in order to do my job properly/fully.... If you have a letter, you will (probably) get a cancellation date from someone else so you need to be prepared to do the test on short notice, I got a fone call on a Friday eve, had the test the following Tues morning!

I'd imagine that maybe alot of it could depend on the employer too, as in I work for a big international company whos name is well known, it you have a letter from a very small business, I imgaine it may not be seen as being as urgent/real? Maybe not... It should not matter but ya never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

xeroshero wrote: »
    I have a need to travel from one factory to another in order to do my job properly/fully....

............I work for a big international company whos name is well known
    Did the 'big international company' not insist that you have a driving licence if driving is a part of the job? From experience, I know that it is very difficult for an employer to obtain insurance cover for employees to do something that they are not qualified to do.

I'm not trying to 'stir it' - I'm just curious. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Ya know how u got phonecall friday to say ya had it tuesday. How did you prepare. Surely 3/4 days wasnt enough to prepare???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

The driving isn't necessary for me for the job yet, I have only started working there, it will just be beneficial for me to have a licence, if the opportunity/need comes up for me to travel - it would be more of a beneficial thing for me rather than pure necessity (just the letter didn't necessarily imply that)

Regards, preparation, I did get the test much quicker tha nexpected so my prep wasn't great (I failed) But I had lessons/pre tests booked for the week after I sent away my letter anyway, so whether I had to wait a week or 8 weeks, I was still preparing from week one (after sending letter)...

In reality, I prob would have been better off just applying and waiting the fullt ime, however the waiting time was 8 wks in my place (or so they say on the website) I though it would be 4/5 wks for me with the letter (if it worked at all) so I was surprised when it wa sonly two weeks!!! But like I said before, Im sure it all depends on cancellations... I applied again last Tues, with another letter, will let ye know how it works out this time - could be cmpletely different - but the letter def did work for me the first time round.... (for all the good it did!lol)

Advertisement