Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair debit card fees increase

Options
  • 14-07-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Is it just me or are Ryanair now charging 5 euro for paying with debit card.
    If i select credit card or debit card the fee is still 5 euro.

anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭aidz

Absolute disgrace that. i use a NI maestro debit card for bookings. it used to cost £1. How can they justify a 300% increase on this. its not like a credit card where the vendor gets 97% of the sale.
    I'm sure we'll hear a lot of complaint on this in britain on the watchdog shows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

aidz wrote: »
    Absolute disgrace that. i use a NI maestro debit card for bookings. it used to cost £1. How can they justify a 400% increase on this. its not like a credit card where the vendor gets 97% of the sale.
    I'm sure we'll hear a lot of complaint on this in britain on the watchdog shows etc.
    Then don't use. Use a rival company.
    If rival company is more expensive then think of all the money you save :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

hussey wrote: »

Ryanair are by no means always the cheapest. They work hard at seeming to be, and some people do not look past the nominal price of the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭aidz

hussey wrote: »

I always check the alternatives. And several times, the alternative is cheaper, easyjet, flybe, aer lingus etc.
    No harm illustrating a point in regard to a 300% increase in one of Ryanairs charges though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Ryanair are by no means always the cheapest. They work hard at seeming to be, and some people do not look past the nominal price of the ticket.
    Definitely people should always shop around. I usually fly Ryanair but I agree they are not always the cheapest depending on the sales, time of year and how close to the flight you are booking. Always check all the other airlines flying the same route before booking.

I think Ryanair take a look at the overall revenue coming in and decide the charges accordingly. Maybe more people have been using debit cards thus they upped the cost to offset the revenue lost. I think people should forget about the individual charges and just look at the total cost since that is all that matters at the end of the day.

If Ryanair charged me 1c to fly to Berlin but €20 for the air to breathe along the way I would still think it is good value since €20.01 is a good price to fly to Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Mr O'Leary needs to pay for the big loss on Aer Lingus shares. Bought in at €2.90 and are now at €1.16. Nice bit of business...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

aidz wrote: »
    I always check the alternatives. And several times, the alternative is cheaper, easyjet, flybe, aer lingus etc.
    No harm illustrating a point in regard to a 300% increase in one of Ryanairs charges though.

Aerlingus are just as bad as ryanair with adding extras on.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 reddeagle

Just rang my bank here in the UK. They are sending me out an electron card now so i now i will not have to pay any fees for booking.
    I agree 300% increase on the fee was a bit crazy. With debit card he is guaranteed the cash, credit cards there is possibility of defaulting but not with debit cards.
    hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jace&stef

I can't believe I just had to pay £16 pounds as a debit card fee to book 2 passengers. How on earth can this be legal! Its a debit card not a credit card! Why are the banks not stopping Ryanair from these STEALTH charges. You do not even realise you have paid until after you click on Purchase now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

reddeagle wrote: »
    Just rang my bank here in the UK. They are sending me out an electron card now so i now i will not have to pay any fees for booking.

Until everyone starts using an electron card and they start charging for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

We booked Ryanair flights last week and I couldn't believe it when we had to pay €5 each way per person for a debit card transaction, €20 altogether. I can't understand how they can justify the charge being each way, it has nothing to do with the flight!

Needless to say, this really p*ssed me off, getting more and more put off from Ryanair everytime I book a flight with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

We booked Ryanair flights last week and I couldn't believe it when we had to pay €5 each way per person for a debit card transaction, €20 altogether. I can't understand how they can justify the charge being each way, it has nothing to do with the flight!

It has EVERYTHING to do with the flight. The only figure anyone should be bothered with is the final total purchase price, just like with every other product or service you may pay for. It matters not one bit if the flight is free but you have to pay €50 in extra charges. If the cheapest alternative is €40 then go for that, if it is €100 then take the Scumair option.

The practice of seperately charging for different inherent costs is a trick used throughout the airline industry to make prices seem cheaper than they are and judging by the number of people that bitterly complain about having to pay these extra charges it obviously works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

John R wrote: »
    It has EVERYTHING to do with the flight. The only figure anyone should be bothered with is the final total purchase price, just like with every other product or service you may pay for. It matters not one bit if the flight is free but you have to pay €50 in extra charges. If the cheapest alternative is €40 then go for that, if it is €100 then take the Scumair option.

The practice of seperately charging for different inherent costs is a trick used throughout the airline industry to make prices seem cheaper than they are and judging by the number of people that bitterly complain about having to pay these extra charges it obviously works.
    or maybe people find them still the cheapest after all the charges.

You are right the ONLY price that matters is the total price. Find that price and then compare it to other airlines. If, taking into account service level etc, you think some other airline is better value then go with them otherwise realise that you are choosing ryanair - they are not choosing you.

Its all about the total price.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 silly1

opa01_2000 wrote: »
    Mr O'Leary needs to pay for the big loss on Aer Lingus shares. Bought in at €2.90 and are now at €1.16. Nice bit of business...

If you had ever bought shares in your life which I doubt then you would know that shares go up & down every day and that a notional paper loss is not the same as a realised loss i.e one sustained when the shares are actually sold. Afaik Ryanair have not sold their stake in Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I got a bit of a shock the other day when i saw the €10 credit card charge for my return flight!

Then I realised that it was still only €45 total, and I didn't care so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

silly1 wrote: »
    If you had ever bought shares in your life which I doubt then you would know that shares go up & down every day and that a notional paper loss is not the same as a realised loss i.e one sustained when the shares are actually sold. Afaik Ryanair have not sold their stake in Aer Lingus.

Yes I own quite a few shares and I do understand the difference between a notional paper loss and a realised loss. The point is that although Aer Lingus share price has recovered some it is going to be quite some time before it can ever reach €2.90. There is also the potential that the European regulator will force Ryanair to sell their stake in Aer Lingus at a time not of their choosing so the potential for a large loss is looming.

Also today's results show an 85% drop in profits for Ryanair - is this the beginning of the end?

Has anyone noticed the facial similiarities between M O'L and Nicholas Sarkozy - both little men who love the limelight. Have they ever been seen together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

opa01_2000 wrote: »
    Also today's results show an 85% drop in profits for Ryanair - is this the beginning of the end?
    According to this article they have €2.2bn in the bank, so they should be all right for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please tone down the bile folks..plus is is going very off topic. If you want to discuss the business afairs of Ryanair and it's investments, do so on one of the more appropriate forums.

Advertisement