Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband connection to PC

Options
  • 14-07-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

My parents got eircom broadband delivered last week,
    The yellow cable,ethernet i think its called, will not fit into the back of their PC as the slot is a different size,
    How do i fix this?
    Do i need a different cable or a different connection for the computer?
    Thanks lads, i havent a clue myself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

It should fit. It's highly likely, especially if the PC is a few years old, that the port you have is actually an RJ11 port for connected to the phone line for quality dial-up speeds.

If so, you'll need to either:
    • install an ethernet (network) card into a free PCI slot for the cable (dirt cheap, ~€10 for a decent one). This is very easy to do
    • get a wireless adapter (internal or USB). However, if the PC does not have an ethernet slot, there's some chance any USB ports might be the slower 1.1 standard which would limit speeds.

Probably safest to get a network card unless you're sure you have a USB 2.0 port for a wireless adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

nice one, thanks
    must call over to Maplin to get one

Advertisement