Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refused tap water in a bar.

• 14-07-2008 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

A friend of mine was in a bar up in Westmeath yesterday, and as she was ordering a pint asked for a glass of tap water as well. She was told to go to the ladies toilet to get water by the girl who served her.

She's rather p1ssed off about this and asked me if there's anyone she can make a complaint to about it. I haven't a clue where to go so I thought I'd ask you guys. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

How about complaining to the establishment it self ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I remember walking into a dutch pub to pee and i was charged 50c on the way out .Apparently it's the norm over there to tip for using the john.

magine if they introduce that over in ireland ? Maybe they already do ?

dutch tightwads :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

i agree, take it to the establishment itself first. failing that, isn't there some association of ireland caper that deals with pubs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

latchyco wrote: »
    I remember walking into a dutch pub to pee and i was charged 50c on the way out .Apparently it's the norm over there to tip for using the john.

Its the same in Germany, I prefer it though. The 50c isnt mandatory though, and when there is a charge its usually quite clean. Compared to some of the toilets in Irish bars... mother of christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

craichoe wrote: »
    Its the same in Germany, I prefer it though. The 50c isnt mandatory though, and when there is a charge its usually quite clean. Compared to some of the toilets in Irish bars... mother of christ.

To be fair it's not a bad idea tipping to use clean toilets anywere specialy if sombody has made a mess before you and how many times do we see that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Knee-Vee wrote: »
    A friend of mine was in a bar up in Westmeath yesterday, and as she was ordering a pint asked for a glass of tap water as well. She was told to go to the ladies toilet to get water by the girl who served her.

She's rather p1ssed off about this and asked me if there's anyone she can make a complaint to about it. I haven't a clue where to go so I thought I'd ask you guys. Thoughts?

I would complain to the Licenced Vintners Association.
    With all the ads about drinking responsibly, you would think that pubs would be encouraging us to drink water between pints. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

Thank you so much for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i don't think legally they've done any wrong,and I don't think any body/board can tell a pub's owner how to run their personal business

but it's definitely a poor show,out of goodwill she should have got the water,so adress your complaint directly to the source
    I'd be surprised if the owner knew this had even happened,and if they've any business sense they'll put the matter right
    so i'd get in touch with the pub's manager and fill him/her in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

punchdrunk wrote: »
    i don't think legally they've done any wrong,and I don't think any body/board can tell a pub's owner how to run their personal business

but it's definitely a poor show,out of goodwill she should have got the water,so adress your complaint directly to the source
    I'd be surprised if the owner knew this had even happened,and if they've any business sense they'll put the matter right
    so i'd get in touch with the pub's manager and fill him/her in

I doubt a person serving in a pub would tell someone to go to the jacks for water unless told to do so by the management. Unless she was a total bitch who hates her job

The only real way to deal with a place that won't serve tap water is to leave, but that can be hard if people have already ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Water in bathroom taps is rarely a direct link from the water main.

Therefore sink water comes from store water in the water tank, in the attic or on the flat roof.
    This could be open to rats, birds, dust etc. It would aslo be stagnant water, ideal for all sorts of microbes!

Drinking such would be a health risk.
    Being told by Bar Staff could be illegal - Health & Safety.
    If someone becomes ill they'll have an excellent case - take the pub to the cleaners!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Being told to drink tap water from the toilets isn't on at all. First complaint would be to the management itself in my case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Didn't some pubs and clubs get done a few years back for turning the water off in the toilets so people had to pay for it at the bar?
    I remember being told that that had happened in System in South Anne Street in Dublin anyway, where incidentally, a bottle of water cost more than a pint would elsewhere. I thought they were obliged to give you drinking water, especially as part of a bar order.
    I would not let something like this rest as I normally drink a pint of tap water after every two pints of beer and this would really p*ss me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Knee-Vee wrote: »

She should have complained straight away. And if she didn't get a proper explanation she should have left.

Not much she can do about it now, except go back in and complain to the owner, don't think she will get much joy thou. Best case scenario would be a fake apology i'd say.

Boycott the place, bad mouth the place and leave it at that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RKQ wrote: »
    Water in bathroom taps is rarely a direct link from the water main.

Therefore sink water comes from store water in the water tank, in the attic or on the flat roof.
    This could be open to rats, birds, dust etc. It would aslo be stagnant water, ideal for all sorts of microbes!

Drinking such would be a health risk.
    Being told by Bar Staff could be illegal - Health & Safety.
    If someone becomes ill they'll have an excellent case - take the pub to the cleaners!

Would have to agree with this, bathroom water as a suggestion for something to drink is not on at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

latchyco wrote: »

That's a brilliant idea and should be introduced.I hate walking into an pub to use their toilets if i'm not buying anything.
    As said less dickheads coming in off the street making a mes.

Advertisement