Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Tesco have to honour mistake on their website??

Options
  • 14-07-2008 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

I buddy of mine noticed the other day that cans of Harp on Tesco.ie were priced at 1cent a can!! needless to say, we jumped on and bought about 200 cans for the craic!! we had selected shipping for Saturday - no sign of the cans on Saturday.

What I'm wondering is, do Tesco have to honour this order?? It was clearly a mistake on their website...but it was on their website, and the order did go through...

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭aido182

Nope. An advertised price on the web or shelf is only "an invitation to treat". It does not form part of a contract. It kinda sucks but thems the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

aido182 wrote: »
    Nope. An advertised price on the web or shelf is only "an invitation to treat". It does not form part of a contract. It kinda sucks but thems the rules.

Remember Air Lingus sold seats on-line for €50 to America return, but later retracted the offer as it was a mistake. Due to the volume of complaints and bad PR they eventually honoured the sales......i think!

Lawfully they were allowed to cancel the original sales due to a "technical glitch" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

aido182 wrote: »

well that's a bitch. don't even like Harp but at 1cent a can!! :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

well that's a bitch. don't even like Harp but at 1cent a can!! :p:p

Harp? :(
    Wouldn't even drink that stuff for 1c.

Makes Dutch Gold taste good :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I buddy of mine noticed the other day that cans of Harp on Tesco.ie were priced at 1cent a can!! needless to say, we jumped on and bought about 200 cans for the craic!! we had selected shipping for Saturday - no sign of the cans on Saturday.

What I'm wondering is, do Tesco have to honour this order?? It was clearly a mistake on their website...but it was on their website, and the order did go through...

Any thoughts??
    If they charged your credit card or charged you in some way then you can conclude that you have a binding contract. If no monies were charged then no you have no contract.

• Advertisement

ya i remember the aer lingus fiasco. if it were a flight to the US i'd cause a fuss alright, but for a few cans of harp a post on a forum is pretty much the length of my upset!!

sure ya never know, we might get em yet!! lol. dunno what i'll do with em if i do - not going to be drinking them like!! :P:P

axer wrote: »
    If they charged your credit card or charged you in some way then you can conclude that you have a binding contract. If no monies were charged then no you have no contract.

dunno if the CC was charged yet. online banking takes a few days to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

dunno if the CC was charged yet. online banking takes a few days to update.
    sometimes you can see your credit limit drop which will tell you that it was charged.

Aer lingus were forced to give their customers something because there was a legal agreement.

EDIT: Actually i'm pretty sure that the act of giving your credit card details is enough to warrant consideration - its called Future Consideration.

Advertisement