Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant decide upgrade or new build

Options
  • 14-07-2008 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi All,

I have been back and forth recently over whether or not to upgrade my current HP media center pc or start form scratch and build a new machine.

My current spec is:
    Hp Media Center PC m7585uk
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (C) DC 2.13 GHz
    2GB PC2-5300 Ram
    300 GB SATA 3G
    16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive
    Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g
    GeForce 7500LE(original) & Radeon 2400Pro 256mb ddr3(upgraded)
    TV tuner card

I love it to bits but not sure i can upgrade the PSU.

I am thinking of putting a ATI 4850 in there and upgrade the PSU. The CPU may be a bottleneck.

On the other hand i could sell the machine and build a budget machine around an ATI 4870.

So its around €200 vs €700.

Do you think it would be worth upgrading or passing it on to someone else to look after it?

I just cant make up my mind :(

Thanks

DracusWolf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I would sell and get a new one, bios is probably locked in that pc and you really want 2.40ghz or more to show of a HD4850..

You could probably get €250 for the pc and with deals like this off Ankermann on ebay for €700 delivered you cant go wrong.
    NVidia GeForce GTX 260 896Mo
    4Go RAM DDR2 800MHz KINGSTON
    Carte Mère MSI P43 Neo-F (SLI)
    SAMSUNG 500Go SATA-2 Disque dure
    LG GH20LS 20x DVD-RW SecurDisc
    7.1 canaux son qualitee superieure
    Prêt-pour-DSL Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    52en1 Cardreader | Casque Ankermann
    Ventilateur CPU Coolermaster | 600Watt

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Core-2-Quad-2-66GHz-NVIDIA-GTX-260-4Go-RAM-800MHz_W0QQitemZ150270827167QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3736QQcmdZViewItem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Otherwise, you could recycle.

Strip the ram, cpu, hard drive, dvd-drive, tuner cards etc from your current machine. Build the new one around it. You should still get about 60-70 for the HP case/mobo/psu combo leftover.

untitled-13.jpg

Voila new PC and a few hundred mhz on that 6400 will have it flying in any game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DracusWolf

Thanks to all for the advice. i think i'll go down to route TerrorFirmer has suggested as the parts that i have are still good. I see now i can put a few quid more into getting a good case and motherboard that will last me a few builds and i'll upgrade the rest when needed. :)

I feel compelled to ask another question. I have never sold any hardware before. What would be the best way?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Try adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Perfect thread! I have the model above yours and have been considering upgrading it. I've upgraded the graphics card, but there's not much else worth putting in there and I can't o/c the CPU with the current motherboard. Gonna go with the strip and build suggestion! Thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DracusWolf

Yea i have looked into it now and it seems thats the right way to go. The parts in the Hp are top notch, never a spot of bother so a good case, motherboard and psu and a 4870 should be a cheap but effective upgrade and we get to keep the monitor, i use it in a dual setup along with my 32" TV.
    This makes perfect sense :)

On another note i was thinking of waiting for the 4870 X2 to come out. Now that would be a monster!! Prob need about 20 extra fans to cool it but what a card!! :)

I'm also gonna put up the extra parts onto advert.ie when i get my new parts, but i cant see them being in big demand :)

Dracus

Advertisement