Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deposit - accounting advice

• 14-07-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi - am newish in business for myself - i have accepted a deposit from a customer on a job that i am doing - i would just like someone to point me in the right direction with the accounting of it - i was thinking of just raising 2 seperate invoices - one for the deposit now which i would mark paid and a second for the balance which i would mark paid when i get it - is this the right way to do it - i can imagine about another 2 ways to do it but i dont really know

also i did hear that there is some thing to be aware of with regard to VAT when accepting deposits - i presume it's just that vat has to be declared/paid on the deposit portion of a payment in the period in which it is received but maybe someone could verify that

thanks

i am using sage to do my accounting ( and i am not very knowledgable except for doing a sage course so if you could keep the language simple thanks )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi, I agree with your idea of raising two invoices.
    You will have to account for the Vat on the deposit. If you raise just one invoice for the complete job, you will be obliged to account for the vat on the full invoice now, even though you have only been paid for part of it.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Hi, I agree with your idea of raising two invoices.
    You will have to account for the Vat on the deposit. If you raise just one invoice for the complete job, you will be obliged to account for the vat on the full invoice now, even though you have only been paid for part of it.

Good luck

This is not the case if the OP is using the cash received basis for vat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi, Yes you ae correct. My understanding was that if you raise an Vat invoice you are not using the cash receipts method, but I am incorrect .
    I would still however issue two invoices.
    To operate the cash reciepts method you have to be supplying at least 90% of your goods and services to unregistered persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Hi, Yes you ae correct. My understanding was that if you raise an Vat invoice you are not using the cash receipts method, but I am incorrect .
    I would still however issue two invoices.
    To operate the cash reciepts method you have to be supplying at least 90% of your goods and services to unregistered persons.

Again this is incorrect, companies with a turnover under €1,000,000 may opt for the cash receipts basis.

My advice would be to issue one full invoice. When you receive the deposit calculate the vat amount that is inclusive. i.e 300 deposit = 247.93 net and vat of €52.07

Advertisement