Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door

Options
  • 14-07-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Our windows and exterior doors were put in our new house last Friday.
    The front door is a teak door and the windows are PVC light oak coloured.

I have been looking around to see what the best stain or clear finish would be. Has anyone any recommendations or has stained their door a particular colour that turned out nice. We like the colour of the door as it stands so I am inclined to go with just TRANSLAC Clear finish, maybe a few coats.

We also have plain glass in the door at at the sides which will be removed at some stage to put in stained glass. Do you think this should be done first before we coat the wood?

Thanks for any help.
    B~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I would varnish that door ASAP!!!!! I would varnish the whole lot before you fit the stained glass into it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Thanks Galwaydude,

I spoke to the builder and the door was pressure treated before arriving to us. He said that should last about 4 or 5 months and give us a chance to decide what to do with it.

Thanks
    B~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If you're going with clear varnish (a mistake on teak IMO) be SURE to get an exterior UV filtering product, not the like of translac, which is fine for indoors, but will prematurely peel and flake in Irish weather.
    Yacht varnish or some of ronseal or sikken's exterior oil varnishes would be my choice...but as I mentioned above, I'd prefer to put teak stain on teak, as it does tend to fade and turn yellow over time (although this may end up matching your windows).
    Needs at least 3 coats, maybe just the two for now and another in a few months time...it's also best practice to thin your first coat with about 10% white spirits...helps it penetrate the wood and raise the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Thanks Wertz. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Wertz wrote: »
    If you're going with clear varnish (a mistake on teak IMO) be SURE to get an exterior UV filtering product, not the like of translac, which is fine for indoors, but will prematurely peel and flake in Irish weather.
    Yacht varnish or some of ronseal or sikken's exterior oil varnishes would be my choice...but as I mentioned above, I'd prefer to put teak stain on teak, as it does tend to fade and turn yellow over time (although this may end up matching your windows).
    Needs at least 3 coats, maybe just the two for now and another in a few months time...it's also best practice to thin your first coat with about 10% white spirits...helps it penetrate the wood and raise the grain.

+ 1 dont varnish,
    use an oil as suggested or a product such as sadolins clear teak [ I forget the rest of it:o ]

in passing, if the plastering/painting is not done yet pls protect your doors and windows

• Advertisement
Advertisement