Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Spins

Options
  • 14-07-2008 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi,

Im going to bring my road bike to Dublin this week in the hopes of getting some road spins in with other humans... are the boards spins on every Saturday? also, do you ever go out week day evenings?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Pretty much every Saturday unless there is an event on. There have been murmurings of starting up weekday evening spins- Wednesday was mentioned although not sure if that might clash with the track for some people?

From Dundrum, Enniskerry-Glencree-Military Road-Rathfarnham is under 50km and would take around 2 hours- I think it would be a good candidate for the evening spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The Boards 200 (with a 125 option) is on this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

From Dundrum, Enniskerry-Glencree-Military Road-Rathfarnham is under 50km and would take around 2 hours- I think it would be a good candidate for the evening spins.

That was one of my training spins for the 200, I did it after work and was always in Rathfarnham with plenty of light left.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Bring back the weekday spins!
    ...I like thursdays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I do interval training in the Park ( Pheonix in Dublin ) most evenings weekdays as on my own, head off around Meath and Kildare when I feel adventurous :) once of twice a week. Hills are far away from me ... Now adding Sat and Sun boards Wicklow spins is great :) - if you guys do a WW weekday spin I might try and join. Other wise, you can always join me in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

im going out this evening for abotu 2 hrs. i live northisde and am sick of howth, and i cam eoff there 2 weeks back so am both sore and nervous about that route for now, so i am not sure where to go! is naul any use? if so does anyone know of a good route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Yeah once my bike arrives I'm definitely up for spins during the week! Anyone know how long Planet X take to deliver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 manofthemoment

I'm looking to get some experience of riding with other people on the road and on the road bike, I've done 100kms on my own but 125/200 might be a bit much for starters.

Wouldn't mind doing an evening on the south side either, weds or thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Yeah once my bike arrives I'm definitely up for spins during the week! Anyone know how long Planet X take to deliver?

I ordered my Planet x on the Monday evening and had the bike by the Friday. Very quick turn around to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm looking to get some experience of riding with other people on the road and on the road bike, I've done 100kms on my own but 125/200 might be a bit much for starters.

Wouldn't mind doing an evening on the south side either, weds or thurs.
    If you have done 100km on your own the 125km this weekend will be no bother to you at all; it's a lot easier riding with a group. I wouldn't worry about lack of experience, there are plenty out every weekend with very little.

• Advertisement

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    I ordered my Planet x on the Monday evening and had the bike by the Friday. Very quick turn around to be fair.

If you've given me false hope you'd better watch your back during the next Boards spin! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Bambaata wrote: »
    im going out this evening for abotu 2 hrs. i live northisde and am sick of howth, and i cam eoff there 2 weeks back so am both sore and nervous about that route for now, so i am not sure where to go! is naul any use? if so does anyone know of a good route?

I also live Northside and get sick of Howth.

Most of my spins are in the direction of Naul, then either continuing north to Drogeheda (some good hills), Balbriggan (along the coast) in inland to Garristown and Oldtown. Roads are quiet and the climbs are about as good as you can get.

I also live Northside and get sick of Howth.

Most of my spins are in the direction of Naul, then either continuing north to Drogeheda (some good hills), Balbriggan (along the coast) in inland to Garristown and Oldtown. Roads are quiet and the climbs are about as good as you can get.

The run out to the hill of tara ain't too bad. I'll post up a route later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

cheers. i went to swords, ashbourne and then back to town before but found much of the road surface horrid. it's that rough stone on it which doesnt allow for smooth cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

If you've given me false hope you'd better watch your back during the next Boards spin! :pac:

when did you order it ??? oh and you gotta catch me first ha ha yeah right slow coach me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Bambaata wrote: »

Bambaata:; can I ask the specifics of your accident. I live in DNS too and cycle around Howth a fair bit, was there last night in fact. I'd like to know where the danger spots are etc...

Thanks

christeb wrote: »
    Bambaata:; can I ask the specifics of your accident. I live in DNS too and cycle around Howth a fair bit, was there last night in fact. I'd like to know where the danger spots are etc...

Thanks

I'm up and down that thing like a yo-yo. The worst part is coming down into the village due to traffic.
    I rarely enter the village by the main road (along side the dart) because it is rubbish.
    The route near the graveyard has many manholes which you need to keep an eye out for, but they are very easy to spot.

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    when did you order it ??? oh and you gotta catch me first ha ha yeah right slow coach me

Ordered it Sunday, they said it'd be sent Wednesday.

Ordered my pedals off Wiggle so hopefully they arrive before the bike does...a bike without pedals may just push me over the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

If you're looking for a bit of variation climbing Howth, turning right at the church (as you come from the harbour) is good. That climb had some steeper sections and actually finishes higher than The Summit pub. Wouldn't recommended descending that way though.

Advertisement