Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 318 CI ES or 320 CD Sport

Options
  • 14-07-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking at going to UK soon and have my eye on two cars.

2006 BMW 318 CI ES with 23,000 on clock
    or
    2005 BMW 320 CD Sport with 21,000 on clock.

Both cars will work out at about 25,000 Euro including VRT but which would you go for and why?

Both have similar sepcs in relation to leather seats, cd player etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Presuming they are both E46's (the previous model) I'd go for the diesel. I think it'll hold it's value better and suffer less from the fact there's a new shape out. Have a look at how much the 320Cds are listed on Carzone for. They're much rarer than the 318Ci so not as many desperate sellers pushing the prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I would only buy the diesel if I was doing over 20k miles a year. I think there's little in the resale unless you plan on putting big miles on the car. Also the 318 is a year younger too which always helps resale. Extra's are important too, I personally wouldn't buy one without leather for instance.

Also the 318 gets around 40mpg and the 320d only ges around 45mpg so bearing in mind the price of diesel at the mo there is little cost saving there.

Also you have to factor in the higher service costs and complexity of the diesel.

Edit:
    Just saw that the 318 is an ES which is pretty basic, I would only go for a well specced car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

diesel gets my vote too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

kceire wrote: »
    diesel gets my vote too
    Diesel for me too, particularly as it's sport rather than ES spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

drove both - diesel gets it for me too. I could barely make a case for my 320ci after driving the diesel, except the sound.

• Advertisement

You'll do very, very well to see 40mpg out of a 318. I only used to see over 30 on a decent run. 25 - 28 around town. Mine was an auto but I doubt the manual box would be worth more than 5mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Sport model is also higher spec and has a nicer finish than the basic ES model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭abitdazed

I suppose I'd have the petrol as I just don't like diesels. But, seeing as you're buying late models and it's obvious you're not put off by the sound or lazy revving/throttle response, I'd say the diesel is better for. But, if you like Driving (capital D) then the petrol is the car. The diesel IS a sport however. I can see how you're stuck.

Me: Petrol
    What I'd probably recommend to someone: Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

abitdazed wrote: »
    I suppose I'd have the petrol as I just don't like diesels. But, seeing as you're buying late models and it's obvious you're not put off by the sound or lazy revving/throttle response, I'd say the diesel is better for. But, if you like Driving (capital D) then the petrol is the car. The diesel IS a sport however. I can see how you're stuck.

Me: Petrol
    What I'd probably recommend to someone: Diesel

I would have thought that the greater torque would make for a quicker throttle response?

The engine in the 320CD is a lot more refined than the original 136BHP one, which is one of the main reasons it was put into a coupé at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

abitdazed wrote: »
    But, if you like Driving (capital D) then the petrol is the car.

Sorry cannot agree with this, the 318i is hardly a sports car now is it, and that BMW 320 d engine is pretty damn good. It will make you work harder keeping it on boost - but I think it would match the 318 in driver appeal.

• Advertisement

"I would have thought that the greater torque would make for a quicker throttle response?

The engine in the 320CD is a lot more refined than the original 136BHP one, which is one of the main reasons it was put into a coupé at all."

Diesels have no doubt come along at a scarcely believable rate in the last 5 years, But that torque comes from turbos and diesel. Diesels don't rev particularly quickly and turbos further numb throttle response (takes a sec for them to spool up).

As for RobAMerc's claim about the sportiness and driver appeal of the 320d, upon reflection I'd have to say you might be right. Once off the mark, the diesel would surely trounce the 318. And it has a sport pack.

Can our man find a 320i petrol with the sport pack for similar money, that's what I'd be looking for.

The lag on the 320d's is a lot less noticeable though, so I think you may be overstating the slow response.

Might be, I'm just statin the general qualities of Diesel vs Petrol. I drive a knackered 94 520i, I don't even bother to believe I can afford to test drive the newer ones. But originally I did say I'd recommend to someone else to take the diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Never drove either, but the bro found the 318ci drearily slow.

The mags always seem to rate the 320d, but not as much praise for the 318ci.

320d for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Another vote for the diesel*

*(I'm assuming both cars are the "old" shape ... both E46?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

OP: Go for the diesel, it's a great car. It has a 150 bhp engine.

The 320 CD is significantly better (between 20%-40%) in fuel consumption, and is also slightly better in performance. Some of the figures on fuel consumption quoted above are inaccurate.

The diesel is also rarer in Ireland, so it should have a better resale value. M sport pack will also make the car more valuable.

Make sure you get one with digital air conditioning, which is pretty standard in the 320s here, though I'm not sure about English cars as I've seen a few of the 320s over there with the basic air con.

Also, servicing shouldn't be much more expensive than the petrol equivalent. In fact the diesel should have a longer service interval than the petrol.

Also, the diesel isn't that noisy once you get into 3rd and 4th. It's probably even quiter than the petrol version.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

For myself id pick the 318. Just dont like that Diesel sound. regardless of what anyone says you can hear it. of course you can hear it. But if i was passing on advice go with the diesel if your covering miles. I found the 318 to be fairly nippy its not slow as people on here would have you believe. 147Bhp. 1995cc and your getting the economy of a 4 pot rather than 6. But different strokes for different folks. Best of luck with your decision.

My Ultimate advice. Disregard what everyone says , Drive both yourself. And make up your own mind thats how i do :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Thanks for all the responses. looks like the 320 is winning out.

Can't make it over for a few weeks so one or both of them might be sold at that stage anyway.

Links to cars

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/BMW/3-series/Coupe/details.asp?Id=388301

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/BMW/3-series/Coupe/details.asp?Id=387749

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

listermint wrote: »
    For myself id pick the 318. Just dont like that Diesel sound. regardless of what anyone says you can hear it. of course you can hear it. But if i was passing on advice go with the diesel if your covering miles. I found the 318 to be fairly nippy its not slow as people on here would have you believe. 147Bhp. 1995cc and your getting the economy of a 4 pot rather than 6. But different strokes for different folks. Best of luck with your decision.

My Ultimate advice. Disregard what everyone says , Drive both yourself. And make up your own mind thats how i do :cool:

Diesel engines have come a long way in the last 30 years. Some of the recent diesel engines from BMW are very refined, and they sound fine.

The 320 d engine is fairly quiet once you get up through the gears.

Here's the 5 series diesel, which was actually found to be quieter when compared to the equivalent 5 series petrol (go to about 3 mins 50 in the video):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t7maXP3ShXs

foxirl wrote: »

Can't make it over for a few weeks so one or both of them might be sold at that stage anyway.

Links to cars

That 318 has basic air con, and it doesn't have leather seats. They're leatherette (big difference).

320 has automatic air con, leather seats, and M Sport alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

If you decide to buy at cargiant, the test drive isn't ideal for making your mind up, inner city london. So if I was you I'd test drive here first, and then make your decision.

I'd go for the diesel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The diesel is going to be cheaper to tax - i think, and you'll get way better MPG ...45mpg at least I'd say..run away from the 318.. . Which is also a super looking car BTW.. but you'll find the diesel much more flexible to own.

The diesel is going to be cheaper to tax - i think, and you'll get way better MPG ...45mpg at least I'd say.

Road tax will be the same (they are both 2 litre ) and they are only subject to the VRT changes, not the road tax changes.

Factory figures say ~49MPG, so I'd say real world will be closer to early 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The diesel is going to be cheaper to tax - i think, and you'll get way better MPG ...45mpg at least I'd say..run away from the 318.. . Which is also a super looking car BTW.. but you'll find the diesel much more flexible to own.

Both are 2.0 litre so will cost the same to tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Imperator

are there no 318 sports around that you could try. It really would be worth it as there is massive difference between an SE and sport. Am i right in believing the 318IS is a four cylinder. I think it would be worth having a look. both great cars tho and you'l probably not regret seeing the other at the traffic light no matter which you buy. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That 318 has basic air con, and it doesn't have leather seats. They're leatherette (big difference).

Leatherette wears much better than leather thus retains the appearance longer.
    The average passenger cannot possibly tell the difference. Thus the added cost of leather and its qualities make the leatherette a far better and more appealing option. (Two cents)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

318 would probably be the better driver's car simply cos the powerband on the diesel is so narrow, tho neither car would set any performance records.

foxirl wrote: »

Links to cars

AFAIK Cargiant move stock very quickly so there's a good chance those two cars are already gone I'm afraid. It's a shame they won't take a holding deposit to facilitate Irish customers. I've often thought of going over but am put off by the fact the car I'm after could be gone before I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

milltown wrote: »
    You'll do very, very well to see 40mpg out of a 318. I only used to see over 30 on a decent run. 25 - 28 around town. Mine was an auto but I doubt the manual box would be worth more than 5mpg.

True for the auto but the manual is completely different. I've driven both cars and my friends auto 318 ate juice while another friend used to get 35-40mpg around town. The 318's engine won engine of the year for its efficiency.
    eoin_s wrote: »
    The engine in the 320CD is a lot more refined than the original 136BHP one, which is one of the main reasons it was put into a coupé at all.

The BMW 2L Diesel is one of the loudest diesels modern around, you obviously havent heard one starting up from cold, sounds like a massey! Its a high compression diesel so its quite noisy its just that its quiet from inside due to BMW's build quality. Another friend has one of these, a 320cd sport and it is a lovely car. It didn't feel that quick to me however. I had a diesel Golf at the time and the golf was quicker in a straight line (obviously not in a corner).

OP make sure you stick to '05 too as '04 and before cars injested their inlet manifold swirl flaps and pre '03 cars blew turbo's

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Johnny Utah - How can you tell the 318 has leatherette. To me the 318 leather looks more realistic than the 320. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

have driven both - go with diesel!

Advertisement