Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 318 CI ES or 320 CD Sport

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

listermint wrote: »
    Leatherette wears much better than leather thus retains the appearance longer.
    The average passenger cannot possibly tell the difference. Thus the added cost of leather and its qualities make the leatherette a far better and more appealing option. (Two cents)

That's true, leatherette will actually wear better. After a few years with real leather, it will start to look quite worn. On the other hand, leatherette will still look pretty much new. However, you can prolong the life of both if it is manitained properly on a regular basis.

Of course, it's a personal choice too, and for the reason above a lot of people will probably prefer leatherette. Personally, I prefer the cloth sports seats.

Ferris wrote: »
    True for the auto but the manual is completely different. I've driven both cars and my friends auto 318 ate juice while another friend used to get 35-40mpg around town. The 318's engine won engine of the year for its efficiency.

:confused: Are you talking about the 318?

You won't get 35-40 mpg out of the 318 around town. More like 25 mpg around town. The diesel will get about 35 mpg around town.

The BMW 2L Diesel is one of the loudest diesels modern around, you obviously havent heard one starting up from cold, sounds like a massey! Its a high compression diesel so its quite noisy its just that its quiet from inside due to BMW's build quality. Another friend has one of these, a 320cd sport and it is a lovely car. It didn't feel that quick to me however. I had a diesel Golf at the time and the golf was quicker in a straight line (obviously not in a corner).

OP make sure you stick to '05 too as '04 and before cars injested their inlet manifold swirl flaps and pre '03 cars blew turbo's

You're taking the piss now right?

If the engine is maintained properly, it sounds fine- nothing like a tractor. Once you're in 4th gear, it's surprisingly quiet. Probably quieter than the petrol.

foxirl wrote: »
    Johnny Utah - How can you tell the 318 has leatherette. To me the 318 leather looks more realistic than the 320. Thanks

Leather = double stitching
    http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DBMW%2Bleather%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26ei%3Dutf-8%26js%3D1%26x%3Dwrt&w=500&h=375&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F2240%2F2330123115_01e558bbfb.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fstevecoulterperformancecars%2F2330123115%2F&size=91.4kB&name=2003+BMW+M3+Black+Nappa+Leather&p=BMW+leather&type=JPG&oid=866cc928929451ae&fusr=Steve+Coulter+Performance+Cars&tit=2003+BMW+M3+Black+Nappa+Leather&hurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fstevecoulterperformancecars%2F&tt=17,196&no=2&sigr=124obns2h&sigi=11gccm392&sigb=12ucftt74&sigh=11p75cae3

Leatherette = single stitching
    http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DBMW%2Bleatherette%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26ei%3Dutf-8%26js%3D1%26x%3Dwrt&w=500&h=375&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F2363%2F2381721624_29b85b5875.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Flien%2F2381721624%2F&size=87.7kB&name=135i+Delivery+Day&p=BMW+leatherette&type=JPG&oid=d56cacda32e689e4&fusr=plien&tit=135i+Delivery+Day&hurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Flien%2F&tt=88&no=3&sigr=11d7vns7v&sigi=11gu7j22j&sigb=132tmrtpt&sigh=112le9dhh

Leatherette is just a marketing term for vinyl. Call it what you want, it's still vinyl. Consequently, in hot weather (not that we even get much here), leatherette will not breathe like leather, and the seats will become hot and sticky. As I said above, personally I'd prefer cloth sports seats, but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

re residuals...you'll lose your jocks with the petrol. Also IMO BMW never produced a decent 4 cyl petrol engine.(m not included)....remember the old 316/318i's ..pure dogs. I think your still dealing with the orig block design.

That 320d engine on the flip side is a corker....shovel loads of torque......a cracker.

Diesel for me is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

:confused: Are you talking about the 318?

You won't get 35-40 mpg out of the 318 around town. More like 25 mpg around town. The diesel will get about 35 mpg around town.

Quoted combined figure for the 318 (2.0L 16v) is 38mpg
    You're taking the piss now right?

If the engine is maintained properly, it sounds fine- nothing like a tractor. Once you're in 4th gear, it's surprisingly quiet. Probably quieter than the petrol.

If you read what I posted I said that the engine was quiet from inside the car due to its build quality (Thses cars have a double bulkhead between engine and driver). Outside is a different matter, I shared a house with a lad who had a 320cd and it was very loud on startup. You don't forget the sound that wakes you up every morning for a year. A lot of people don't like the rattle of a diesel so its a valid consideration for choosing between it and petrol. BTW the car was 2 years old, maintained by BMW and had low miles on the clock.

Quoted combined figure for the 318 (2.0L 16v) is 38mpg.

Oh right- sorry I thought you we're talking about driving around town. The combined figure for the 318C is 38.2 mpg, and for the 320Cd the combined figure is 49.6 mpg.

If you read what I posted I said that the engine was quiet from inside the car due to its build quality (Thses cars have a double bulkhead between engine and driver). Outside is a different matter, I shared a house with a lad who had a 320cd and it was very loud on startup. You don't forget the sound that wakes you up every morning for a year. A lot of people don't like the rattle of a diesel so its a valid consideration for choosing between it and petrol. BTW the car was 2 years old, maintained by BMW and had low miles on the clock.

I know you were talking about noise from outside the car, and you're right the engine probably would be classed as loud on start-up, but I certainly wouldn't say it sounds like a tractor. The 335 petrol, for instance, is also quite loud on start-up as well, but I wouldn't be complaining.

Funnily enough, I was sitting in traffic the other day. I was waiting at the lights and there was an old (nearly 10 years old) petrol mondeo in the lane beside me, and it sounded like it was on its last legs. Now, that particular car did sound like a tractor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Oh right- sorry I thought you we're talking about driving around town. The combined figure for the 318C is 38.2 mpg, and for the 320Cd the combined figure is 49.6 mpg.

I know you were talking about noise from outside the car, and you're right the engine probably would be classed as loud on start-up, but I certainly wouldn't say it sounds like a tractor. The 335 petrol, for instance, is also quite loud on start-up as well, but I wouldn't be complaining.

Funnily enough, I was sitting in traffic the other day. I was waiting at the lights and there was an old (nearly 10 years old) petrol mondeo in the lane beside me, and it sounded like it was on its last legs. Now, that particular car did sound like a tractor!

Well its a very high compression diesel, it cannot help being noisy. The handa accord 2.2 for instance is a quiet diesel because it has a lower compression ratio and as a result only gets 136hp out of 2200cc.

My point is that for better resale go for spec rather than engine. If the roles in this case were reversed and it was a 318 M-sport vs a 320d es, I'd pick the 318. Thats because the only 2nd hand cars which are selling are either the very cheap ones or the ones that are a little bit special.

Also the 318 gets only 10mpg less MPG than the diesel, great for a petrol. It has longer intervals between expensive BMW services.
    Its only 0.4s slower to 60 and its smoother and quieter.
    They generally have lower mileage on them and the engine is simpler and has less on it to go wrong.

I know people hate 4cyl petrol BMW's but its a good engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well its a very high compression diesel, it cannot help being noisy. The handa accord 2.2 for instance is a quiet diesel because it has a lower compression ratio and as a result only gets 136hp out of 2200cc.

My point is that for better resale go for spec rather than engine. If the roles in this case were reversed and it was a 318 M-sport vs a 320d es, I'd pick the 318. Thats because the only 2nd hand cars which are selling are either the very cheap ones or the ones that are a little bit special.

Also the 318 gets only 10mpg less MPG than the diesel, great for a petrol. It has longer intervals between expensive BMW services.
    Its only 0.4s slower to 60 and its smoother and quieter.
    They generally have lower mileage on them and the engine is simpler and has less on it to go wrong.

I know people hate 4cyl petrol BMW's but its a good engine.

Good post Ferris. All true!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I dont know what people are comparing it to but the 2.0d bmw diesel, despite being a decently powerful engine sounds very much like a diesel, and isnt a particularily refined engine.

some petrols may be loud when started (my m3 is very much so) but its a nice loud if you get me :D

Also leatherette is horrible:eek:i see the point about it maintaining its appearance and its true, it will always look crap :P

properly maintained leather seats should be fine for years.

Sports cloth is preferable over leatherette imo

Cyrus wrote: »
    I dont know what people are comparing it to but the 2.0d bmw diesel, despite being a decently powerful engine sounds very much like a diesel, and isnt a particularily refined engine.

They were comparing it to a Massey Ferguson tractor, which I thought was a bit unfair.

some petrols may be loud when started (my m3 is very much so) but its a nice loud if you get me :D

Yeah, I'd agree with that, and that's why I mentioned the 335. As I said before I don't think tone of the 320 diesel engine sounds like a tractor, and in any event once it's cruising in 4th gear or higher the engine is remarkably quiet, probably even quieter than the petrol equivalent as proven in the Top gear video above which compared the 5 series petrol v diesel.

Also leatherette is horrible:eek:i see the point about it maintaining its appearance and its true, it will always look crap :P

properly maintained leather seats should be fine for years.

Sports cloth is preferable over leatherette imo

+1, kinda like buying a leather jacket in Harvey Nicholls or Unique.:D

Advertisement