Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night clubs and cloakrooms...

• 14-07-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Went into Club Nassau on saturday night to meet friends and was only staying for one as I had the car outside. Bouncer stops me and tells me to Q up and put my jacket into the cloakroom, (15 mins wait) I said I didnt want to cos by the time I qued up, ill be going. Told me I had to or I wouldnt be getting in!! :eek:

Is this a new rule that you have to put your jacket in for "health and safety" reasons?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

gaz wac wrote: »
    Went into Club Nassau on saturday night to meet friends and was only staying for one as I had the car outside. Bouncer stops me and tells me to Q up and put my jacket into the cloakroom, (15 mins wait) I said I didnt want to cos by the time I qued up, ill be going. Told me I had to or I wouldnt be getting in!! :eek:

Is this a new rule that you have to put your jacket in for "health and safety" reasons?:mad:

Yea all the clubs in Laois have started doing this aswell... I think its aimed at reducing the amount of places someone can hides drugs etc. its a pain in the b*ll*cks tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Makes sense, stops the drugs getting in, although if they want them in they will get them in.
    Also I have seem some stupid people put their coats on the chair next to them and I and I havve seen other people go over and say, "Can I have that chair mate" and they say no someone's sitting there and not 1 person sat in that chair all night. Also people that put coats on the floor and it accidently gets pushed out into the walking space and someone falls on it. Never seen someone fall but have seen them stumble.

But yeah its a pain to people just flying in for a min.
    Should have just thrown your jacket in your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Steve_o wrote: »
    its a pain in the b*ll*cks tbh!

That'll be the bag of pills that you used to keep in your jacket pocket then...:pac:

Seriously though, I'd also consider this another way to make money....been a fair while since I was in an Irish nightclub (and will be a fair while until I'm in one again too), but isn't it like €3+ to hang a coat? If it's mandatory, then that's an extra 20% or more on the door take...

[edit] lol stops the drugs getting in? You'd want to be some dimwit to be taking contraband into a club in your feckin' jacket...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

In fairness, you would want to be off your trolley to go in there anyway.

Wertz wrote: »
    That'll be the bag of pills that you used to keep in your jacket pocket then...:pac:

:rolleyes:
    Seriously though, I'd also consider this another way to make money....been a fair while since I was in an Irish nightclub (and will be a fair while until I'm in one again too), but isn't it like €3+ to hang a coat? If it's mandatory, then that's an extra 20% or more on the door take...

Its €2 in most places i've been, and if you lose your ticket you generally have to wait until everyone else has gotten their jacket... its an awful awful system that more often than not ends in some girl roaring abuse at the guy behind the counter for losing her jacket, which makes the waiting time even longer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

More money for the club, leave your jacket at home whenever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Yea all the clubs in Laois have started doing this aswell... I think its aimed at reducing the amount of places someone can hides drugs etc. its a pain in the b*ll*cks tbh!

??:confused: push the drugs too far up you arse??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

taidghbaby wrote: »
    :D

:rolleyes: I guess that's what i get for not being clear on AH.....

Its €2 in most places i've been, and if you lose your ticket you generally have to wait until everyone else has gotten their jacket... its an awful awful system that more often than not ends in some girl roaring abuse at the guy behind the counter for losing her jacket, which makes the waiting time even longer!!

Why the :rolleyes: out of curiousity? The clubs making more money part? Wouldn't be that much of a shock now would it?

Last time I was in a club round these parts (3-4 yrs ago) it was 3 quid to hang your coat/bag/whatever...I'd have to assume that it's risen in the meantime, in line with everything else.
    As for lost tickets, read in some recent thread where in some places they finger print scan you and put the tag on the article, I assume to stop people finding said ticket and claiming the article themselves...and probably to speed up the returns at the end of the night...

• Advertisement

Why the :rolleyes: out of curiousity? The clubs making more money part? Wouldn't be that much of a shock now would it?

Last time I was in a club round these parts (3-4 yrs ago) it was 3 quid to hang your coat/bag/whatever...I'd have to assume that it's risen in the meantime, in line with everything else.
    As for lost tickets, read in some recent thread where in some places they finger print scan you and put the tag on the article, I assume to stop people finding said ticket and claiming the article themselves...

The :rolleyes: was for the first thing you said about the bag of pills...I agree with everything else you said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Dont back answer a bouncer unless u want to be scrapping ur face off the ground.

Feckin' hell, can't even have a craic on AH on a monday afternoon no more...
    :(

:rolleyes: I guess that's what i get for not being clear on AH.....
    after 2320 odd posts it was a rookie mistake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leave jacket in car.
    Don't drink and drive.

Dont back answer a bouncer unless u want to be scrapping ur face off the ground.

I think we have a bouncer here... an angry one at that!!!
    after 2320 odd posts it was a rookie mistake!

/shakes head in disgust!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

As you've been told in other threads: Enough textspeak.

OP: Yes; it's reasonably common practice. I doubt there's a law in existence. Bouncers will tell you it's for H&S or to help prevent drug sales. It's to earn the club money more often than not. Thread titled changed to something more generic. Also, why didn't you just throw your jacket in the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

"Leave jacket in car.
    Don't drink and drive."

I was having a coke and it was raining, common sense to bring the jacket:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Total money-spinner. We had absolute ructions with the staff in one club who have a "must check bags" policy. We had one girl with, erm, "feminine hygiene products" with her and another who's an insulin-dependant diabetic and they were told that they'd just have to carry their stuff around with them for the night.

They finally agreed to allow one bag in - how big of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

OP here,

The same night, my friend who only had one leg and is on crutches was denied entry as "health and safety" dont allowe crutched, he ended up having to ring the guards who came down and made sure he got in!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

was gonna go there Sat but que was too long. i was only there once b4 and i did think it strange that they told us to put our coats in. but they didnt tell the girls that came in after, they were Cardigans though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

I was once kicked out of a club for refusing to put my coat in a cloakroom, as I was about to leave!!

Myself and a few friends were in this place, it was really quiet as we'd gone very early on a weeknight for a few drinks. We all brought our coats in, no hassle, sat there for a few hours, then around 11 we decided to head off. I had to go to the bathroom first, and took my coat with me as I had something I needed in the pocket (girlie thing :rolleyes:). A bouncer then said I had to put my coat in the cloakroom. I said 'oh no, I'm just about to leave'. He said it again, I assumed there was a misunderstanding, and said 'no, I'm heading off now, I'm just going to the bathroom first'. He said I had to put it in, and pay 2 euro. I thought he was messing, and laughed and he started going 'nobody laughs at me, get out' and kicked me out because I refused to pay 2 euro to hang up my coat for 5 minutes! He then started insulting me and physically grabbed me and threw me towards the door! It was absolutely unbelievable - I've never had a fight/argument/anything in my life. Pure power trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just dont bring a jacket out with you...

I never do, even in the middle of winter like, too much hassle queueing up at the start and end of your night...

OP here,

The same night, my friend who only had one leg and is on crutches was denied entry as "health and safety" dont allowe crutched, he ended up having to ring the guards who came down and made sure he got in!! :mad:

Used to be way back when this country wasn't the moneygrabbing sh*thole it's turned into, that someone on crutches or in a wheelchair would be let in to many clubs at no charge.
    Health and safety my arse...obviously since the guy is already half legless, he wouldn't be buying enough drink...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Jesus. Why are pubs and nightclubs able to get away with so much in this country? Surely if it's now mandatory to leave in your coat the club should provide the service free of charge?

This ranks up there with charging more for drinks later in the night.

Karoma wrote: »
    As you've been told in other threads: Enough textspeak.
    ?

Sweet Jasus

What’s the big deal, totally over reacting?

Its not as if the words I used in text speech were unreadable & hard to figure out.

It’s only merely just writing fast, it’s hardly a crime.

stop nit picking at the slightest of things.

(im asuming now cause i answerd a mod back, the reaction will be a banning just to let the fellow posters know whos boss)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Don't back-answer a mod unless you want to be scraping your face off the ground

ha ha mod justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

No unfortunately not a joke. The place I got kicked out off is in the city centre and would be well known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Sweet Jasus

What’s the big deal, totally over reacting?

Its not as if the words I used in text speech were unreadable & hard to figure out.

It’s only merely just writing fast, it’s hardly a crime.

(im asuming now cause i answerd a mod back, the reaction will be a banning just to let the fellow posters know whos boss)

You're trying to act smart but in all fairness all you're doing is being an arsehole.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You're trying to act smart but in all fairness all you're doing is being an arsehole.

Shut your mouth stop thinking your a mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sweet Jasus

Whats the big deal, totally over reacting?

Its only merely just writing fast, its hardly a crime.

text speak is banned by the charter, and is very annoying. Arguing with a mod on thread is also banned by the charter. I suggest you read the charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

You are mad to pay in if you're going soon. Or maybe yore rich ;)

[edit] lol stops the drugs getting in? You'd want to be some dimwit to be taking contraband into a club in your feckin' jacket...

I agree. Money money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Clubs are evil taking our money away like that, damn them and their so called free enterprise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I work in a nighclub and a big one at that and there is no law stating that customers have to put bags or jackets into d cloakroom.

kowloon wrote: »
    Clubs are evil taking our money away like that, damn them and their so called free enterprise!

No-one expects anything for nothing, but if I go to go into a club and it says something like "€15 door tax" or whatever, but I then enter to find that I cannot proceed onwards without first depositing my clothing/bag and being additionally charged for same, I just think that it's a sneaky way of charging me extra.
    If it's so vital to the running of the establishment, be it for security, health and safety or whatever, then make it part of the overall entry fee and issue patrons with one hanger each. But no, much easier to do it this way...especially when you can earn some nice tax free coinage (not saying all clubs do this)...

This system smacks to me of airlines charging you extra for checked luggage (who honestly neeeds to take luggage when they travel?) or for booking online using a CC (how the hell else do you pay for stuff online?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There are clubs in Laois? WTF

Back on topic, rip off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Back on topic, rip off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Good tip for someone wishing to avoid the e2 cloakroom charge and the long q's, bring a black bin liner with you, put your coat into the bin liner and place it in a builders skip or wheely bin near the venue, the chances of the skip or wheely bin being removed on a saturday night is slim. you can get your jacket back on the way home. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Was a warm enough evening to be fair fella, you should have just left it at home. Was in there myself Saturday night celebrating my 30th (Yay me!!), what a sweat box though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Chances of remembering jacket in bin after a heavy night in a club - Zero.

Good tip for someone wishing to avoid the e2 cloakroom charge and the long q's, bring a black bin liner with you, put your coat into the bin liner and place it in a builders skip or wheely bin near the venue, the chances of the skip or wheely bin being removed on a saturday night is slim. you can get your jacket back on the way home. :D
    good tip?????? :eek:

crazy man you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I never pay to get my jacket minded unless I am out with the lads. Just get the gf to throw it over her handbag :pac:

Never got forced by a bouncer to use a cloakroom though, that's kinda gay tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

There's no law stating that a club or pub has the right to demand that you put your jacket or bag into the cloakroom. They certainly can't make you pay to do so after you've already paid your admission fee; that's an absolute scam. Just refuse and if they ask you to leave, make sure you get your admission back and boycott the place. What a joke.

good tip?????? :eek:

crazy man you are
    I use to do the same in Barcelona a few years ago when I was taking things I shouldn't. :) THe clubs would charge e4 each for 250ml bottles of mineral water. Would get a few large bottle of the same water for less than a euro each at Hipercore and hide near outside the venue, The bouncers would then allow me out for fresh air, once out i would gulp a few mouthfulls and fill a couple of smaller bottles and sneak them back in, would easily save up to 30 a night. I wouldnt drink any of the bottles if any of the seals were broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Stopping drugs getting in my ass!!
    Its a money spinner, they charge anywhere between €1 and €5 to "mind" your jacket, its bull****

Back on topic, rip off!

No but our barn dances can get outta hand every so often, so thats why jackets are banned, in case they are used as a weapon, ya know they can be thrown pretty hard when filled with grain of different sorts....

JangoFett wrote: »
    Stopping drugs getting in my ass!!
    Its a money spinner, they charge anywhere between €1 and €5 to "mind" your jacket, its bull****
    They might stop lads bring in bars but it's not going to stop pills :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement