Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Authorisation of Credit Card

Options
  • 14-07-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Ok, have a tricky enough one here.

I was recently paying for something with my credit card. I gave the person permission to charge my credit card, and gave them the details over the phone (this was all recorded). The transaction was declined due to a lack of funds (money I had lodged on the CC had not yet cleared and it only has a limit of 400euro).

So, I told the seller not to use that card and I would get my other CC number when I went home and contact him back. I never got back to him, but a few days later, I see that he had a second time tried to put the transaction through, and the funds having by then cleared, was successful.

Am I legally entitled to issue a charge back on this?? I authorised the first transaction which failed, and then clearly told him I would use my other card. I did not authorise attempting the second transaction a few days later.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

if its recorded that you didn't give permission for the second attempt and you can prove it I don't see why not, of course did you make it clear to the other party that you were recording the call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

well they were the ones recording the call. it wasn't for a product that was received. it was for advertising my car on a website. so i don't have anything to send back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you heard a recording saying something like "Calls may be monitored or recorded" then they may not have recorded it at all. In this case, they have no record of you authorising it, and therefore a chargeback would be possible. I assume that when you say your were waiting for money to clear, that this was just paying off the bill, and not putting extra cash on your card. If you pay for something from a cash balance on that card, you are not protected by the credit card provider.

First, I would contact the company that charged your card and ask them to reverse the charge. If they refuse, go to the card provider.

Advertisement