Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable modem to wireless router

Options
  • 14-07-2008 4:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to remotely figure out a problem with the parents broadband setup but am a bit stumped the the moment so if anyone has any suggestions as to what I might be forgetting on the setup it would be appreciated.

They have Virgin cable broadband, formerly Telewest, and they had the original Telewest cable modem, Motorola SB5100, connected to a Belkin f5d7230-4 wireless router which I had setup for them ages ago and was working perfectly fine until the end of last week.

There was some problem with something of Virgins at the end of last week, although it took them a couple of days to admit to it and then replace whatever hardware at their end. Now though it is only possible to get an internet connection by plugging the cable modem directly into the PC's ethernet port, but not when it it plugged back into the WAN port on the wireless router. The wireless connection between the PC and the wireless router seems to be OK but the configuration pages from there seem to say that it is not getting a connection to the cable modem itself.

As far as I can tell there were not any changes made during the "support" calls to Virgin to any of the settings on the parents PC or to the Belkin wireless router. I'm not sure if there is anything that may have been reset on the cable modem setting though and the only thing I've been able to figure out that can be changed is if it's working as a dhcp server on its ethernet port or not. The rest of the settings sound as if they are to do with between the cable modem and Virgin side of things so don't want to mess around with them.

I cannot remember if I had changed anything on the cable modem when I set it up initially or not though. So rather than me having to hop on a Ryanair flight to try and figure out what the issue might be I was wondering if you good people had any ideas as to what might be wrong now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

First, ask your parents to turn off the cable modem, the wireless router and the PC for a couple of minutes.

Then turn on the cable modem first, wait 30 sec then turn on the wireless router, wait another 30 sec or so and finally turn on the PC.

If this does not work, then I would think a hard reset of the wireless router is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Have you checked to make absolutely sure your parents have actually connected the the router to the WAN port, and not one of the LAN ports? Also, the hardware replacement, was this at your parents house, or elsewhere, or did anything have to be changed on the modem? Did they have to change anything at their end at all? If they didn't change anything, then it's hard to see what could be causing this.

Perhaps it's an unfortunate coincidence, and the wireless router's WAN port has somehow died.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm 99% certain that they have all the cables plugged back into the correct ports and I've now got them to reboot everything yet again. I had already got them to reboot the modem and router a few times but did see a mention about needing to reboot the cable modem each time you changed it's cableing around on another board.

I did now manage to get details of what the Virgin support had them messing around with prior to them admitting that it was a fault at their end.They had them entering these from a command line, but I'm not sure what may have been told to alter in any of the guis that will have popped up:
    They used - "devmgmt.msc" and stoped and started some stuff (TCP/IP AND DNS I think)
    "netsh int ip"
    "netsh winsock"
    "services.msc"
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the settings for the PC though as that only needs to be able to see the wireless router, which it is doing fine. It just now seems to be that the wireless router cannot see the cable modem so I suppose that could have "died" by coincidence at the same time.

I'm not sure what Virgin admitted to actually changing externally though, but they were always claiming to be able to see the cable modem OK, but I suspect that was just lies or the "support" person didn't know what they were talking about.

Advertisement