Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback Wanted, First Website.

Options
  • 14-07-2008 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Heylo,

Little introduction I suppose first. I've been pishin around with html and css for a while but never seriously just extremely basic stuff. Around 1 month ago though I was recruited to design and build a website free o' charge for my community.

www.clogh.net

It was a great learning experiance and the whole thing is powered with wordpress. I'm looking for feedback seeing as it's my first website. I'm a little behind posting this and I've done a second one for my band since.

www.decadation.com

Any pro's here critique my work and tell me if I'm worth anything as a webdesigner/developer? I'm may be 17 but don't be afraid to give it to me straight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Nice implementation of Wordpress - it doesn't look like Wordpress :)

On the band site, the photos on the bio page don't use the thickbox feature.

On Ian's bio page: "Thats right," - need an apostrophe (That's)
    Also, the text height/weight etc text is very small. Could be because it is class "entry" while the others are class "post"

On James' bio page the "height" text is very small. It is also class "entry".
    Typo: "Like write now he’s writing this." - either "right now" or "rite now" depending on how r'n'r you want to be :p

On Clogh about page, "moved to his Fathers native Clogh" - need an apostrophe (Father's)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

For your first two websites they are really great, kudos to you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

On clogh.net, I'm still unsure where Clough is. Could you add a map?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Nicely done ...

Comments

1: Graphics for your menu items on clough website are a bit rough (the top menu) .. was this intentional ... the rest of the site looks too clean and then you have those ...

I'd add in some colour as well to the site

I'd remove the bullets for the Latest posts ... maybe add in a border: 2px dashed #CFCFCF; or similar between them and increase the line-height slightly

I'm also not thrilled by the popout menu ... the borders on it are a bit strong

Apart from that nicely done ... few tweaks here and there to the style and you're set :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Very nice. I like the Clogh website, simple and effective.

On the band website, very nicely integrated with Wordpress. Just a couple of things that I personally would change, change the upcoming shows to another menu item (with the white background hover). Also I'd change "Randon Images" from being a menu item, can be misleading for some. Just add some padding, change text color and get rid of the >> before it. All my opinion of course!! :D

Other than that, top notch. Great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

Thanks guys, all this is greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I especcially like the second site, but one problem with navigation. On the music page with the media player the menu "hides" behind the player. At least on Firefox 3.

Id also change the random images thing, cause I was trying to click on it, I can be misleading!

Finally I would have the big banner at the top as a link to the home page. Just a personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Very good efforts for your first sites.

Just on the clogh.net one - As someone already said the nav images at the top are a bit rough. Prob best to replace these with some css styles.

The alt / title tags on these images also just say "nav" - nice to add in some meaningful text there also help with SEO.

Ditto side menu - add some alt text too.

The flash image at the top is a bit annoying as it has to load each time - prob some way to cache it.

Other than that looks good. Well Done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Well done.

On the band website I find the red text in the navigation a bit hard to read because of the colours (until you move the mouse over it).

Also run your websites through here:
    http://www.totalvalidator.com/validator/ValidatorForm
    there are some bad links and a few bits of code that need to be tidied up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement