Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oh dear

Options
  • 14-07-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

I accidentally dropped something heavy and it landed on an old car battery... broke the side off it and all this fluid came pouring out... making a quiet sizzling sound as it leaked out on to the concrete.
    Do I risk serious acid burns going near this mess?
    Any advice on how to clean up and dispose of said battery would be much appreciated. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Is it on concrete where people would be around it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I don't know for sure. But i'd throw sand on it and let it soak it up. Then just shovel it away.

Edit to say. I thought you wanted to know how to clean up the spilled stuff not the battery.......I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Milk should do the trick or any other base [lime would work to].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

kmart6 wrote: »
    Is it on concrete where people would be around it?!
    Near enough to it yeah, and we have a dog (who's being kept inside atm) so I pretty much want to make this area safe and safely dispose of the broken battery.
    ARGINITE wrote: »
    Milk should do the trick or any other base [lime would work to].
    Heh, our dog loves milk, so maybe best not to use that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

acid+ + base- → salt + water
    :D
    If you use enough milk and then wash it away then their will be nothing left for said dog.

• Advertisement

ARGINITE wrote: »
    If you use enough milk and then wash it away then their will be nothing left for said dog.
    Yeah that's what we ended up doing. :pac:
    All sorted now, thx guys.

Washed away a bit and is should be alright for the dog! No probs anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Give your dog some milk and tell him to lick the acid up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Bit off-topic, but anyway...
    I remember as a kid we had a battery powering the lights in a stationary caravan. I think every now and then it was charged, but it was fairly ancient.
    It was knocked off it's ledge once, and fell on the bed (luckily empty), and broke open. There was a sizzling sound, and then a large hole in the duvet, sheet, and mattress underneath. It even started eating into the wooden bed frame. Dodgy stuff :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

:D:D Brill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I once had some battery trouble on my way to a date. In a hurry I rubbed the acid off my hands on my thighs.

Later on that evening while have great fun on my date in the pub I stood up to find the front of my pants had totally disintegrated exposing my two thighs - took some explaining I can tell you ! :eek:

I wonder where that girl is now ? :D

Yeah, then I can head on over to Animals & Pet Issues asking how to clean up and dispose of a dog.
    That'd be front page of Digg material right there :pac:

I've heard that excuse before for lads who really are trying to hard to get some!

Advertisement