Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sharkfin aerial as a replacement for Primera one

Options
  • 14-07-2008 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I posted a while back about an issue I had regarding a broken car aerial on a 99 Nissan Primera. The whiplash aerial snapped right at the joint with the base and there isn't enough stub exposed to screw out the antenna part so as to replace it with an identical whiplash antenna piece.
    I was wondering if one of those DIY sharkfin antennas could be placed over the exposed part of the broken aerial and possibly some kind of solder job could be done in order to create a conductive path back to the radio in the car ?

Was just a nutty idea. Could this work ?
    I'm trying to avoid the expense and labour of having to get roofcloth removed and aerial substituted, etc.

--Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

The ariel should be easy enough to change.

Take down the interior light and its usually behind that or something to cover the stud cant see the roof cloth having to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Take down the interior light and its usually behind that or something to cover the stud cant see the roof cloth having to come down.

Sounds encouraging Martin.
    Where might I be able to get the base + antenna replacement kit
    other than (at exhorbitant cost) from the Nissan dealer ?

--Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Any car breakers would have one as far as i remember that ariel is not solely for nissan one off a renault,citroen or peugoet will fit it.

If i remember corectly just

Make sure the mast is screwing out of the base before you fit and put a little dab of sealer around the base where it goes into the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I remember looking into the idea of a shark fin for my mazda 6.
    I was a bit put off by reports of much poorer reception using the shark fin.
    Is this a standard complaint in all fins, just the ones from Mazda parts makers, or complete rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Martin - I spoke to a breakers yard who said they probably have what I need (base + aerial) for 20Euro. I haven't yet gone fiddling with the internal rooflight in the car cabin but it does seem that there is a fair distance between the position of that light (overhead the rear seats) and the actual location of the aerial base on the car roof (much further back). Do you still think there's a fair possibility that the aerial replacement could be done without having to take down roofcloths ?

If it's a biggish job then I'll get my mechanic to do it as part of my next car service.

--Ian

• Advertisement
Advertisement