Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB .NET Undoing

Options
  • 14-07-2008 4:26pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭

I should of left well enough alone. I was deleting some dead code (or so I thought). The code builds and runs but there is one button which throws up an error.
    An easy solution would be to undo my deleting, but as VB.Net builds it saves, and for some reason it clears my undo option. So its saving my mistakes.

Is there anyway to undo or revert back to an older build?

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's probably not much help to you now but we use Tortoise SVN in work and I also use it at home. It's freeware version control software and it has been a life saver on many occasions.

With it installed and assuming you have done regular check-ins, all you would need to do is delete the offending file and run an SVN update to automatically restore the last version.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That sounds perfect, if I had it already, but nope. Ill probably get it anyways, although id say ill learn from my mistakes.

Its more of a timetravel button I need.

Looks like ill be spending the next few days eithering working out my error, or retracing my steps, either way ill be paid so its all good not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Well if you do install it and you run into issues, feel free to drop me a PM, I wouldn't say I'm an expert but I can hopefully help you enough to get started with it ;).

Also I'm sure you've realised this already but I find when removing code that is probably not being used, rather than simply deleting it, comment it out first and see what happens when you build and run the application. If there are problems just uncomment the selection and try again. A very handy shortcut in Visual Studio is to use Shift+ Up/Down Arrow or Page Up/Page Down to highlight sections and then Ctrl+K, Ctrl+C to comment out the selection and Ctrl+K, Ctrl+U to uncomment the selection.

Advertisement