Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing a navigation idea

Options
  • 14-07-2008 5:11pm
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

If you switch to the Blue style (clicking here will switch your style to Blue) you should see a new menu in the top right.

What this menu should be:
    • Contain a selectable list of all public forums
    • Start matching forum names as soon as you start typing into it
    • Allow you to quickly jump to the selected forum

This is just one way I am considering approaching a new menu system, but as this has basically just been in my head so far I'd like to bounce it off the real world and see if it's terrible/unintuitive/too bloated (adds about 20kb to page size which I'm not really comfortable with).

So does it suck? Is it great? Maybe a move in the right direction?

PS: to change your style back to default (white) click here.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its hidden behind the Google Adverts :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sully wrote: »
    Its hidden behind the Google Adverts :)
    I don't think so, tested it in IE7, Firefox 3 and Opera 9.51. It is a tad slow to initialize for some reason, might have to click off it and back on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Firefox 1.5.0.9 - Resolution is something I cant confirm as this PC is restricted and wont tell me anything like that without giving me Access Denied. Id say its bigger then 1024*768

See attached!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Have you thought about the navbar?
    Could be handier

cdrh31udigueowguyddj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I like it Spankeh. Seems like a good place for it to me. It looks a bit gay* above the google ads.

*technical term

• Advertisement

Working okay at home on FFx3 and Lower resolution.. I like the idea, but location is a bit... I dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Works for me, then again I have the ads turned off from UserCP. My default is set to blue. :)

I do like the placement that Spankeh suggested though. It'd look much nicer there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Digiweb and Google Ads cover it but it's working pretty well apart from that!

Rb wrote: »
    Digiweb and Google Ads cover it but it's working pretty well apart from that!

What Resolution/Browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

works well, perhaps if it was possible to include private forums i notice the old ISF forum doesn't pop up :D

also would it be possible to turn it off in user CP that way it's up to the user whether they want it loaded or not and gets rid of having to worrying about the 20k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

found a slight bug on firefox 3.

i typed in "DITasdf" and hit go, it didn't find anything so i hit the back button. the text box then fails to reccommend forums when i type.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I like it.

Works fine for me in FF3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

It's just sitting there with "m" in the box, (I'm trying for "motors") but no suggestions coming up for at least 20-30 seconds. I'm using FF3 portable with Win2000 Pro.

No ad issues with me as I have them turned off as a subscriber.

Just some nice feedback for you CuLT! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I like it overall, but...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56881220&postcount=4

Perhaps an additional box for the above? I've been trying to think about how to combine them - i.e. one list for "Forums whose names match your input" and another for, "Forums whose keywords match your input", but I can't think of an elegant way to combine them.

My logic behind it is that newbies might come along and go, "Right, I have an electrical problem, where do I go?"

So they stick in words like "electrical", "house", and "DIY" and get back three results: DIY, Construction, and Electrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Perhaps an additional box for the above? I've been trying to think about how to combine them - i.e. one list for "Forums whose names match your input" and another for, "Forums whose keywords match your input", but I can't think of an elegant way to combine them.
    Perhaps a line with tick boxes underneath the search box with the option to choose how to search.

Rough sketch:
    Start typing a forum name: [____________] Go
    Search by forum name [ ] or Search by keyword [ ]
    The user could then easily toggle between either searching by forum name (main use as a handy short cut) or by keyword (main use when unsure of forum existence).

By the way, Cult, when I click on one of the options that pop up when I start typing, I can't just hit return and jump to the forum. Instead, I must use the mouse to hit the "go" button to get the forum. The "Go" button doesn't appear to come active and respond to the return command from the keyboard.

Other than that, I find it great.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I'm using Firefox 2 at 1680 x 1050 resolution and it's hidden behind the adverts on my computer.

If i get some time later I'll change resolutions and see.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Cool, thanks for the Feedback guys :)

Looks like this particular idea is going to get axed, but there are others in the pipeline.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement