Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words you misspell

• 14-07-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any words people tend to misspell alot when typing? I mean personally, like and for you guys.

Just wondering coz I noticed that about 50% of the time I tend to type the keys in the wrong order when using the word 'just' and it comes out as jsut.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this?
    Or do I just have a wierd mental block / am crap at typing
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Not so much now with the spell check, but I always spell tomorrow as "tommorow".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Frisbee wrote: »
    Are there any words people tend to misspell alot when typing? I mean personally, like and for you guys.

Just wondering coz I noticed that about 50% of the time I tend to type the keys in the wrong order when using the word 'just' and it comes out as jsut.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this?
    Or do I just have a wierd mental block / am crap at typing

same with me.

thank god 4spell check

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's just a typo, happens with a lot of words, especially the, they etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Not when typing but a word I always have trouble with is scizzors / sissors / sizzors / scissors.

When I see it typed out I always know that "scissors" is obviously the right spelling but I pretty much have to try all combinations before I hit the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

When I want to know if people are busy, I frequently text to ask whether they are busty. It's just as embarrassing whether it's accurate or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

manoeuvre...that is all:pac::pac::pac:
    I'm awful at spelling, thank god for spell check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i'm starting to think that i'm the only person in the country who knows the difference between loose and lose

people, the verb "lose" is used when something has gone missing. The adverb "loose" is used when your trousers are too big for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

For anyone that needs it - http://www.wikihow.com/Spell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i'm starting to think that i'm the only person in the country who knows the difference between loose and lose.

You're not alone Sam. There are lots of us. The only spelling mistake that really annoys me in when people misspell grammar as grammer. The irony is that they usually do it while trying to point out someone else's spelling mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i'm starting to think that i'm the only person in the country who knows the difference between loose and lose

people, the verb "lose" is used when something has gone missing. The adverb "loose" is used when your trousers are too big for you.

Another common one is quite and quiet.

I on the other hand have perfect spelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

I have a tendency to use 'e's instead of 'a' in places where phonetically they sound similar. Seperately is an example - the right spelling is separately.

Plus, a spell checker won't save you from homophones; one that drives me completely spare is people who use "affect" when they mean "effect" and vice versa.
    eg: "this will effect the environment" - ughhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I spell marriage as marraige.

Sherifu wrote: »

Those are slightly easier to correct. It's marr-I-dge not marr-A-ge so the i is always first. Carriage is another one.

Also drives me spare - writers who use 'I' to sound posh. "Bob met Jenny and I". Ehhh, No. How does "Bob met I and Jenny" sound? It's "Bob met Jenny and me".

Man, I can vent on this thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

cnut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My keybraod is dslyexci, but I'm not.

Sherifu wrote: »

OT. This thread is about words you misspell. Marriage is not a word it's a sentence. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

I would say Bob met Jenny and I..
    My spelling has completely went down the drain since around Sixth Class in primary school.
    Maybe there should be compulsory spelling classes for adults?

KatCookie wrote: »
    My spelling has completely went down the drain since around Sixth Class in primary school.

You're grammers are wrong their. You should have said "gone" down the drain.

Don't waste your time looking for the thanks button. It's disabled in AH. :cool:

KatCookie wrote: »

If you leave out the other person, it becomes "Bob met I" and is more obviously incorrect. How about "Bob met Jenny and myself". Who is this "myself" person! Man, I'm a pedant.

One way to solve the problem is to write. Write a blog, or essays or a book. Or go to the States. After hearing "I'm very good today" or "I'm good and yourself?" for the 10th time, you too will become more pedantic :p

PS: I'm assuming the second sentence was deliberate irony. I really hope so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

For some reason, a lot of the time I type the word "you", "toy" appears. must be the placement on the keyboard or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

carveone wrote: »
    It's marr-I-dge not marr-A-ge so the i is always first. Carriage is another one.

Where'd that d come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I can't spell 'broccoli'. I can never figure out whether there are two cs or two ls or one of each.

Other than that I think I'm usually OK!

Where'd that d come from?

Um. The pedant fairy? Ok, it was an accident - I was being phonetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Does anyone else use google as a spell checker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Rhythm can be tricky enough :pac: go on ask someone close by to spell it out see how they get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Togeather (together)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Resevered / Reserved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Apparently I've been spelling the Spanish word ciudad (city) wrong for a while. Just found out today. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Thank you.

Not for the lesson in the correct use of those two words, but for being just as annoyed at their misuse as I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I have an ongoing problem spelling the word character, I keep spelling it characther.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

believe - beleive

godamn - goddamn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Rhythm can be tricky enough :pac: go on ask someone close by to spell it out see how they get on.

For some reason I spell used spell rhythm as "rhytmn" - I thought there was a silent n, like in autumn? I was very very wrong.
    Another one I mess up is occassion/ocassion/occasion - I actually don't know which of those is correct :o

I don't bother correcting typos. Other than that I've always been pretty good at spelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i used to always spell business as buisness...
    until in 3rd year and i got knocked out of the spelling bee we had in english class for "fun" because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Another one I mess up is occassion/ocassion/occasion - I actually don't know which of those is correct :o

I always do that too. I know it's in bad taste but the word I can never get right is diarrhoea.

I say, "If I was" when I'm speaking but when I'm typing I write, "If I were" to pretend I speak properly, heh.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Does anyone else use google as a spell checker?

Frequently, I usually missplace the space after th eword th eas I type too quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

wierd/weird

I can never get it right. It's that stupid "i before e" rule that confuses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Can't spell appriciate......you know the word I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

carveone wrote: »
    Also drives me spare - writers who use 'I' to sound posh. "Bob met Jenny and I". Ehhh, No. How does "Bob met I and Jenny" sound? It's "Bob met Jenny and me".
    :)

Without doubt the most retarded and annoying grammar mistake people make.
    It's worse when used in speech though.

As you also rightly point out, ironically people do it because they think "you and i" makes them sound sophisticated.
    Grrr. :)
    Always feel like pointing out what a pretentious dolt they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

parralel

parallel

always forget whether its two r or two l.

Ironically, misspelt.
    Edit: Maybe that should read "coincidentally, misspelt".
    Edit 2: No, should be "suitably, misspelt"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

I think that the most commonly public spelling errors are on shop signs ar giant billboards!!!!!!!!!! ...and plent of spelling errors in newspapers too nowadays....

The one for me that I see everywhere nowadays is where folk don't know the difference between

licence and license

You can have a driving licence

You can buy wine in an off licence

you need a licence for your dog

these are all nouns

but everywhere I see the verb used in the incorrect place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

lots of places in the press they print about driving licenses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and plenty of places that sell booze have great signs above them saying they are Off-Licenses!!!!!!!!!!!

Because they sound the same it is tricky I admit but all folk need to remember is the situation with advice and advise where they do sound slightly different

and of course there is the same situation with practice and practise

well, rant is now over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

snowdaze wrote: »
    The one for me that I see everywhere nowadays is where folk don't know the difference between

licence and license

guilty. I ****ing hate those words.

One that always grinds my gears:
    Those who spell "elicit" as "illicit".
    Nothing more cringeworthy tbh.

As in "i tried to 'illicit' whether he was serious or not".

I've seen journos do this as well.

Perfect example of someone relying purely on phonetics to spell when semantically/morphologically at least the two words are fairly different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This really really bugs me when I do it. Other than that, nothing else I can think of...me is good at spelling.

Though my handwriting style can't handle writing aluminium without the letters after l becoming an unintelligible scribble.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

ghey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My neighbour is weird and feisty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Frisbee wrote: »

A lot of people spell a lot as one word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Only recently I have realised how my spelling has gone down the drain. There is typo's and there is the lack of ability to spell certain words.

The most annoying typo's I find my self doing are "Jsut" "Teh" and several others along them lines. I think that's down to typing too fast and the lack of ever looking at a keyboard to type - Brain overload!

It's becoming a common thing now, having to leave google open in another window to type in words I can't spell correctly, it will correct it for me. Lazy eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
Advertisement