Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words you misspell

2»

Comments

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i'm starting to think that i'm the only person in the country who knows the difference between loose and lose

people, the verb "lose" is used when something has gone missing. The adverb "loose" is used when your trousers are too big for you.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Another common one is quite and quiet.

I on the other hand have perfect spelling.
    I'd thank both of these posts if I could.

The one I always seem to mess up is writing "disk" instead of "dish."
    snowdaze wrote: »
    I think that the most commonly public spelling errors are on shop signs ar giant billboards!!!!!!!!!! ...and plent of spelling errors in newspapers too nowadays....

The one for me that I see everywhere nowadays is where folk don't know the difference between

licence and license

I was always under the impression that "-se" is US English while "-ce" is UK English but the Americanisation of the country in the last decade or so has brought a lot of US English spellings and pronunciations with it. Another example is -ize and -ise.

There's certainly been a drop in spelling standards over the last few years though, there's an off licence on Dorset Street with a sign saying "Smile - your on camera." Wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Not misspell but always write the incorrect one, their - there - they're . :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can never ever get restaurant or restaraunt or whatever the feck it is right. Other than that I'm pretty much sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

appreciate (that was help of google spell check) I can never get the 'i' in the right place.

that and supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Karsini wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that "-se" is US English while "-ce" is UK English but the Americanisation of the country in the last decade or so has brought a lot of US English spellings and pronunciations with it. Another example is -ize and -ise.
    Nah, they are different words, I can give you lisense to do something, you have a driving licence.
    You are licensed to drive. You have a licence to drive. One is a noun, the other is a verb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

parralel

parallel

always forget whether its two r or two l.
    here's a trick to remember it: there are two l's and they're parallel to each other ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

carveone wrote: »

Also drives me spare - writers who use 'I' to sound posh. "Bob met Jenny and I". Ehhh, No. How does "Bob met I and Jenny" sound? It's "Bob met Jenny and me".

Man, I can vent on this thread :)

+ten million! this drives me crazy!!

I had someone very obnoxiously correct me for saying 'Bob met Jenny and me' and when I tried to correct him and explain how it works he just ignored me and laughed at how ridiculous I was being! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

If you're going to correct someone's grammar you should at least be correct when you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

probably; probibly prob-bab-bally... who the **** knows, I never will!

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Rhythm can be tricky enough :pac: go on ask someone close by to spell it out see how they get on.

I always thought there were 2 'y's in that: i.e. 'Rhythym'
    jaffa20 wrote: »
    wierd/weird

I can never get it right. It's that stupid "i before e" rule that confuses me.
    This post has been deleted.

"I before E except in Budweiser"
    lisense

*snigger*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I can never get dependent/dependant

I still don't know which is right...

The most common mistakes that annoy me (mostly mentioned before)
    Quite/Quiet
    Lose/Loose
    Stationery/Stationary
    Affect/Effect (really bugs me)
    And the classic their/there/they're dilemma

Edit: I thought I might mention I always thought Equipment had a silent T in the middle - Equiptment... /shame

Honestly, I still feel weird writing it without that T

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Most common word I see spelt incorrectly is separate (often spelt seperate, there is no such word) often see it on Point-of-Sale posters in shops.

Another is "it's' and 'its', only carries apostrophe when an abbreviation of "it is'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Alarums

I usually get confused as to whether it's disappear or dissappear. The whole lose / loose thing annoys me as well. I 've seen it so often on the internet that I started thinking they had officially changed the spelling of 'lose'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

*snigger*

I was lying down in my bed at 5:22 am! heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Across is the one that gets me!! Otherwise, I'm fairly good with the auld spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Swish15

Souvignear,souviner, Souvanir??? Nightmare of a word!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Frisbee wrote: »
    wierd

Weird? I see people make that mistake alot.

I tend to spell appropriately as apropiately.
    Definitely as definetly. (Common enough I'd say: http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/)
    Sometimes I write suprise instead of surprise.
    Also do the tommorow/tomorrow combo.

I had to use spell check to get the first 2 right - just always blank on them.

I'm sure there are others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Necessary, neccessary?

Recieve, receive?

Embaressed, embarressed?

Just use spell check!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Spelling/grammar rants = my favourite pastimes.

I hate to see "accomodation" printed on signs outside hotels. Two 'M's, dammit.

I also can't stand when people can't spell 'vulva' and write 'vagina' instead. "Do you like you vagina waxed or shaved?".

Once I got the hang of the silent 'l' in 'would' I started to add 'ld' to every word it would fit into, so 'shrould', 'clould', 'I'ld like that' etc.

On another note, I think 'lower' and 'higher' should each be allowed to be used as 'lowered' and 'highered'. We could get rid of 'raise' altogether and save the letter 'S' for more important words, like 'nazis'.

The most common mistake I make is email@gamil.com. It's my personal spamkiller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i'm starting to think that i'm the only person in the country who knows the difference between loose and lose

people, the verb "lose" is used when something has gone missing. The adverb "loose" is used when your trousers are too big for you.

I always get that wrong. It just won't sink in, and a spellcheck isn't going to help either. Can you make me up one of those menomic little songs to help?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

sueme wrote: »
    I always get that wrong. It just won't sink in, and a spellcheck isn't going to help either. Can you make me up one of those menomic little songs to help?!

Loose women lose their virginity young.

• Advertisement
Advertisement